SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 10369 Posts

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I should create this thread to discuss misscellaneous retail developments in Leeds (not part of Eastgate or Trinity) such as news of new shops opening for example

Just noticed in the Yorkshire Evening Post today an advert for numerous shops to open till 8pm on Thursday called: Retail Therapy Thursday (I thought there was already the "Alive after 5" initative?) Anyway its at the following link: www.retailtherapythursday.co.uk

Also noticed adverts around town for Leeds Shopping Week what exactly does this comprise of???

·
Registered
30,488 Posts
Theres things on the leedsliveitloveit website about it. Its basically next week there will be various offers in some shops in Leeds and events in shopping centres, restaurants and bars some of which are free and others are charged.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lack of independent retailers

Same old chestnut i know,but every time we get a report into retail space/availability,there seems no end of retailers looking to move into the city centre,unfortunately they must all be run by subway!!
Looking at the site banner,reminds me,the level of graffiti in the city centre seems to be on the increase as well(by way of punishment should be made to clean all the windows in bwp)
btw L.C.C. is gathering opinions on promotional street lighting which has recently sprung up everywhere,seems only a matter of time before the city centre is awash with them.
any thoughts??
:)

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ls12 said:
Same old chestnut i know,but every time we get a report into retail space/availability,there seems no end of retailers looking to move into the city centre,unfortunately they must all be run by subway!!
Looking at the site banner,reminds me,the level of graffiti in the city centre seems to be on the increase as well(by way of punishment should be made to clean all the windows in bwp)
btw L.C.C. is gathering opinions on promotional street lighting which has recently sprung up everywhere,seems only a matter of time before the city centre is awash with them.
any thoughts??
:)
Advertising on street lighting would surely make the city centre a much tacky place to shop. Also has anyone noticed why the graffiti outside the emergency exit of The Queens Hotel as you walk from Leeds Station to Leeds City Square has never been cleaned up. Considering thousands of people walk past here everyday it must give a bad impression for visitors. Also seems to be a problem with hideous chip board windows in some places such as where Birthdays used to be and at West Riding House which looks incredibly ugly.

As for a lack of independent shops they should really encourage the revitalisation of Kirkgate (which has been in a long term state of disrepair) by encouraging independent shops such as book shops, record shops and fashion shops to this location as an extension of the Corn Exchange. Keeping an area for such retailers would encourage diversity in a city centre with big chain store on Briggate where rents would be substantially higher.

There should also be a threshold where a unit is empty for over 12 months then the council should make the landlord encourage a retailer into this location that would be a wasted space if left unused.

As for the old Lewis's / Allders does anyone know who is opening here. I know its being split but are there any ideas as to occupiers which must be considerable considering prime location and land mark building eg: Apple Centre, Mango, Bettys Tea Room, Tesco Metro or maybe a relocation for House of Fraser perhaps?

·
Registered
30,488 Posts
Mango are a certain chain to attract into the city. Betty's may well come but more likely to open along the riverside, City Square, civic quarter or Victoria Quarter. Isn't there already an apple centre in the Merrion, and Tesco Metro or equivalent would be useful. A relocation of House of Fraser would be good but only if the current site is occupied quickly. There's no TJ Hughes in Leeds; I don't particularly like them but just saying really.

·
Registered
30,488 Posts
It would, however in the end it's still an apple shop. I don't think the core is a good place for it though- The Light is a good location for an apple shop or anywhere up in the civic quarter I think. I suspect many shops will be interested in relocating to the new Harewood Quarter when it is built.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yes, I agree about the light being a good location. I was in there a few weeks back and it was almost deserted, so any more shops would be a bonus.
I think the Harewood and Eastgate scheme could drag any remaining quality shops from the Merrion Centre away, so it'll be interesting to see whether TCS (who own the Merrion Centre) decide to pump loads of money into it, or whether they are simply happy with the cosmetic work they have planned for it.

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apple could possibly open where Ocean used to be in the Light which had only been open for a year before suddenly closing. As for the Apple store in the Merrion Centre its not an actual Apple shop like the one on Regent Street in London but is owned by a company called KRCS as shown on the following link: http://www.krcs.co.uk/ac_leeds.html

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I remember it used to be some sort of computer games shop or something, and then when Apple seemingly moved in, I always wondered why they didnt bother updating everything inside the shop. That explains it.

·
Registered
30,488 Posts
I can see Woolworths relocating from the Merrion Centre. The Light needs alot more shops yes; in terms of floorspace it is apparently the 5th largest city centre shopping centre in the UK but whether it is or not, the number of shops certainly don't reflect a centre of a significant size!

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
There used to be a Betty's in Leeds, but they closed, allegedly because people were spending too much time over their camomiles so not enough money was coming into the tills.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm sure there was a story they were to move into the Mansion in Roundhay Park? Think people questioned how the 'ordinary' people would afford to use it? Better suited to VQ really.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd quite like a Betty's in Roundhay over the city centre (although one in both would be nice) it would encourage tourists to travel throughout Leeds, and out of the city centre.

I'm suprised it doesn't have one already to be honest.

·
Registered
170 Posts
LeedsLad said:
I'm sure there was a story they were to move into the Mansion in Roundhay Park? Think people questioned how the 'ordinary' people would afford to use it? Better suited to VQ really.
That gives me an idea - wouldn't Betty's go perfectly in the empty bit in VQ where Caffe Uno used to be? It would nicely complement the more modern offering of Harvey Nichols up the other end too.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
AlRP said:
That gives me an idea - wouldn't Betty's go perfectly in the empty bit in VQ where Caffe Uno used to be? It would nicely complement the more modern offering of Harvey Nichols up the other end too.
Sorry mate, that's already been snapped up for the enlarged Gieves and Hawkes shop, relocated from where Louis Vuitton is going to be.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
aviator said:
Sorry mate, that's already been snapped up for the enlarged Gieves and Hawkes shop, relocated from where Louis Vuitton is going to be.
So if Louis Vuitton is going to VQ does this mean there are no big name designer shops headed for the old post office? I have to admit I was suprised at the rumours of such big names headed for there, over the VQ, when it is something of an outpost compared to the main shopping core...

·
Registered
170 Posts
aviator said:
Oh yeah you're right.....what's going to occupy all that seating space then if there's no space for a restaurant/cafe unit? Seems a bit stupid of them.

As for the Old Post Office it's unlikely there'll be space for any sort of retail what with 2 restaurants confirmed. Prada etc etc always seemed a bit far fetched.

1 - 20 of 10369 Posts