Would that be with or without HMV?
I guess you're surmising that the HMV building could be a suitable spot for Forever 21?
Certainly, the property has had quite a fascinating history over the years, and while it's perhaps best known as the former Callers (well discussed in these forums before), there is a more recent precedent for it being a fashion flagship - under the shortlived 'New Lewis's' brand.
I did some digging around in the local studies library last year, and came up with the following timeline (there's a lot more detail in the newspaper articles I found, which I hope to share here and/or in a blog in due course):
- Early 1980s: Callers closed
- March 1984: Callers building sold to Heron Group (10% of space leased to Dixons)
- (1985: HMV trading at that time from what is now Superdrug, further down Northumberland Street)
- February 1985: Opening of The Place announced by Foster Brothers – a “new look fashion superstore” in 90% of the former Callers property
- 1 May 1985: The Place opened – 40,000 sq ft, four floors, with fashions, café and salon
- 17 July 1985: Closure of The Place announced following Sears’ acquisition of Foster Brothers
- August 1985: The Place closed; store refurbishment as part of conversion to Lewis’s trial smaller store format – a fashion and sports shop for men, women and children, including designer names, and also selling perfume, cosmetics, jewellery and accessories. Also a hairdressing salon. 40,000 sq ft over four floors (LG, G, 1, 2). Restaurant on second floor. Lewis’s tenth store at the time (others in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Leicester, Oxford, Blackpool, Hanley).
- October 1985: The New Lewis’s opened
- January 1987: The New Lewis’s closure announced
- February 1987: The New Lewis’s closed
- 20 February 1987: Lease taken over by Hamleys
- June 1988: Closure of Hamleys announced; store to become Poundstretcher
Basically, Lewis’s lasted only from October 1985 to February 1987 – but still longer than Hamleys after it, and certainly longer than The Place before it.
I’m yet to find out how long Poundstretcher lasted (assuming that did happen), and when HMV moved in - I guess that's something to discuss further in the retail memories thread!