SkyscraperCity banner

1141 - 1160 of 2065 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Anyone remember the Minories Volvo garage on Jesmond Rd with the two petrol pumps? Inner city car dealerships seem to have mostly disappeared now, along with car dealers selling petrol.
Who had the garage next to Jules B on Osborne Road? Was it Shell? Can't remember if there was a car dealership incorporated too - suspect there might have been. I see it's a Waitrose now in that plot, been a while since I was along there.

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,142
Who had the garage next to Jules B on Osborne Road? Was it Shell? Can't remember if there was a car dealership incorporated too - suspect there might have been. I see it's a Waitrose now in that plot, been a while since I was along there.

Some good photos of the Osborne Road Garage, and of the building of the new Waitrose, on this thread here . . .

Waitrose Jesmond (ex-Osborne Road Garage) | Newcastle | 3 Fl | Completed
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=983222

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,144
Contemporary Documents, that are now HISTORICAL . . .

Excellent document from 1972 Steve ^^ showing what everyone will have been receiving and reading about, regarding our "Conversion to Natural Gas" that year.

My Dad used to keep similar documents, so I had a look through some of his papers, to see if he had something about that event, but I couldn't find anything.

What I did find though (amongst his 1970s papers that I haven't yet fully researched through) was a collection of old adverts, a book on 'new homes' from the 1930s, and a 1971 (very much the same era as the Natural Gas Conversion) "Guide to Decimal Money".

That was yet another 'big change' that affected us all in the 1970s, which is now a historical event!

It is always interesting to see historical events in 'contemporary documents' from the time, and while not a "Newcastle only" piece of history, it is certainly something that affected us all in this area, back then . . .

We have actually already discussed the 1971 introduction of Decimal Currency, previously on the forum . . .

Decimal Currency - Conversion Tables from 1971, from "Pounds Shillings and Pence" to the "New Money"
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=93528173&postcount=756
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=93554808&postcount=759

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Contemporary Documents, that are now HISTORICAL . . .

Excellent document from 1972 Steve ^^ showing what everyone will have been receiving and reading about, regarding our "Conversion to Natural Gas" that year.

My Dad used to keep similar documents, so I had a look through some of his papers, to see if he had something about that event, but I couldn't find anything.

What I did find though (amongst his 1970s papers that I haven't yet fully researched through) was a collection of old adverts, a book on 'new homes' from the 1930s, and a 1971 (very much the same era as the Natural Gas Conversion) "Guide to Decimal Money".

That was yet another 'big change' that affected us all in the 1970s, which is now a historical event!

It is always interesting to see historical events in 'contemporary documents' from the time, and while not a "Newcastle only" piece of history, it is certainly something that affected us all in this area, back then . . .

We have actually already discussed the 1971 introduction of Decimal Currency, previously on the forum . . .

I was 16 when decimalisation came in, so was still at school and having been taught the new currency didn't have much in the way of problems with the change over.

That said a lot of 'older folk' did look at the change with despair and many the mutter of "we will never get used to it". When you consider the two systems, decimalisation was far and away the easiest from a pure mathematical perspective. Indeed it is quite difficult for me now to try and calculate in 'old money'.

When was the last time you tried to convert the current cost back to pounds, shillings and pence - thing of the past.

Mind I'm still a feet and inches guy :)

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
I remember the conversion went much more smoothly than the powers expected, but one thing I recall was the strange afterlife of pre-decimal pricing.

I suppose because they didn't want to be accused of using decimalization to put up prices many retailers used exact conversions of old prices which looked odd 'in decimal'. A lot of things cost 12 1/2p because it had been half-a-crown in old money and Fenwick's, which had priced items in guineas, now had them at £1.05 or £2.10. My Lit and Phil subscription of £1 12s 6d became £1.62 1/2 and then £1.63 when the 1/2p coin was abolished.

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,148
growly grace said:
A Theatre Royal programme of 1910 (shown on the 'Old Adverts' thread) had an advert for "Bernstone" the jewellers in it. Did it evolve in to a big national chain of shops?

Found this photo of the old "Bernstones" Jewellers Shop, in Blackett Street.

I only remember there being one of them.

Source - http://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&q=bernstone

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149 (Edited)
Monument Mall - The earliest plans for it in 1984.

Monument Mall opened in 1991, but I have just come across the below newspaper cutting from March 26th 1984, showing how long before 1991 the original plans had been started . .

Moving forward in time to 1991, here are a few (previously shown) details of Monument Mall as it was when it first opened . .

December 7th 2009.

Monument Mall is 18 Years Old.

MONUMENT MALL LOCATION/HISTORY . . .

And, here are some extracts from the original Monument Mall Brochure from when it opened in 1991, showing on the 'Concourse Level' PLAN the "Fenwicks entrance" to/from the MALL of Monument Mall, at Lower Ground/Metro Concourse level, before that Mall became the one "TK Maxx" shop, thus transporting the Fenwicks Entrance (strangely) 'into' the TK Maxx shop . . .

·
13,008 Posts
To be hoped that the tenants in Monument Mall version 2 do better than those in the first iteration....there ain't many still around...

B seems to be the lucky letter: Boots, Body Shop, Bennetton and Burton. With Lintone in rather reduced circumstances in sunny Gateshead,

By the way Stirling Cooper... Mad men's producers been in Newcastle ?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Northumberland Court

Monument Mall - The earliest plans for it in 1984.

Monument Mall opened in 1991, but I have just come across the below newspaper cutting from March 26th 1984, showing how long before 1991 the original plans had been started . .

Good to see this plan NH, I have in the past tried to explain to folk about the previous existence of Northumberland Court which now lies underneath Monument Mall.

I suppose its a 'age thing' as many seem not to remember the covered alley like entrance to the Court from Northumberland Street.

Useful to have this for future reference :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,154
Good to see this plan NH, I have in the past tried to explain to folk about the previous existence of Northumberland Court which now lies underneath Monument Mall.

I suppose its a 'age thing' as many seem not to remember the covered alley like entrance to the Court from Northumberland Street.

Useful to have this for future reference :cheers:

Yes, Northumberland Court is a 'forgotten street' in many ways.

I have various old street maps (from the 1940s/1950s) and it is not shown on any of them.

I can remember the narrow entrance to Northumberland Court between 'Woolworths' and 'Saxone' (Saxone is shown as 'Trueform' on the plan above) which you can almost make out in this photo of Northumberland Street. It looks like an entrance to 'Saxone', but if you look carefully, you can see that the shop entrance (to Saxone) is a few yards futher down Northumberland Street . .

The narrow entrance is even clearer in this later photo of the same two shops . . .

ALSO,

You can see the "Northumberland Court" street sign on the red coloured Ferrari shop, in this 1984 photo showing the Blackett Street entrance to Northumberland Court, with Turners Photography on the left and the Post Office (in Grainger House) on the right . .

Source http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/throwaway/officenew.jpg (Newcastle City Council/City Libraries PHOTOSTREAM)

·
13,008 Posts
You can see the "Northumberland Court" street sign on the red coloured Ferrari shop, in this 1984 photo showing the Blackett Street entrance to Northumberland Court, with Turners Photography on the left and the Post Office (in Grainger House) on the right . .

Source http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/throwaway/officenew.jpg (Newcastle City Council/City Libraries PHOTOSTREAM)
Wonder if that was an officially licenced Ferrari shop :). I do just remember it.

Am I right in thinking that Turners is now Waterstones [Emmerson Chambers]?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Yes, Northumberland Court is a 'forgotten street' in many ways.

I have various old street maps (from the 1940s/1950s) and it is not shown on any of them.

I can remember the narrow entrance to Northumberland Court between 'Woolworths' and 'Saxone' (Saxone is shown as 'Trueform' on the plan above) which you can almost make out in this photo of Northumberland Street. It looks like an entrance to 'Saxone', but if you look carefully, you can see that the shop entrance (to Saxone) is a few yards futher down Northumberland Street . .
Its odd how things stick in your mind but I often used Northumberland Court as a short cut and remember that the entrance way on Northumberland Street was tiled in off white.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Wonder if that was an officially licenced Ferrari shop :). I do just remember it.

Yes that's right NP, Ferrari or Bus Stop as I remember it was demolished when Monument Mall was built. However you can still see the outline of its gable end on the remaining building - sure I've got a photograph, will try and sort it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Northumberland Court

I am almost certain that when the shop shown as 'Ferrari' originally opened as a trendy 'boutique', possibly in the 60s or 70s it was known as 'Bus Stop'.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
1141 - 1160 of 2065 Posts