SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What happened to this, is it still happening?

Kon Vatskalis
MINISTER FOR REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT

12 June 2007
Alice Springs The Target For Retail Shopping
The Minister for Regional Development, Kon Vatskalis, today congratulated Alice Springs on the recent announcement confirming chain store giant Target will open in the Alice Plaza in October 2008.

Mr Vatskalis said the confirmation of Target opening a store in Alice Springs proved there was demand for big business to invest in regional Australia.

“This is fantastic news for Alice Springs. First K-Mart, then Harvey Norman, now Target. The confirmation of the Target store opening simply means more jobs for more locals.

“I would like to congratulate Alice Plaza on their successful negotiations and trust this will be a big win for the Alice Springs community and will add to their retail shopping experience.”

Target have signed a 15 year lease with the Alice Plaza to occupy more than 3000 square meters of space and is expected to employ more than 40 people.

“Starting with the opportunities from the re-fit of the store through to retail positions when Target opens, it all adds to the economy and long term benefits for Alice Springs,” said Mr Vatskalis.

“We have a strong economy and the confidence from the private sector demonstrates that.

With the current construction of the new Imparja head quarters, the Yeperenye shopping centre redevelopment and the new Desert Edge Motorcycles store, the Target announcement is another feather in the cap for Alice Springs.

“With opening scheduled for October 2008 it will be just in time for the next Alice Springs Masters Games as well.”
http://newsroom.nt.gov.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewRelease&id=2699&d=5
Also advertised in:
http://www.nt.gov.au/dcm/news/business_territory/2007/20070621BusinessTerritory.pdf
http://www.nt.gov.au/business/services.cfm?contentid=19&cat5id=102
http://www.aliceplaza.com.au/2-Alice-Plaza-News.html

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
This thread is for retail discussion and projects for Canberra, Northern Territory and Tasmania. If this thread proves popular then it can be split up.

cheers

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
NT - #Project: $200m Harbourtown Complex

I'm pretty shocked about this, I didn't think Darwin was not big enough for a large factory outlet complex.

Harbourtown isn't that great IMO, plus I don't think this place would be popular in the wet season considering Harbourtown's outdoor mall design.

Would much prefer retail improved in the CBD and Cas Sqm get a major makeover.

I reckon this development has 'white elephant' written all over it

$200m shop with 120 outlet stores
NICK CALACOURAS

September 18th, 2008

A LARGE new shopping centre is to be built on the edge of Darwin.

The $200 million "factory outlet" near the junction of Stuart Highway and Vanderlin Drive at Berrimah will have 120 stores.

Construction is scheduled to start in mid-2009 and the centre will open at the end of 2010.

Harbour Town Shopping Centre Group chief executive John Cleland described the development as a "retail theme park" - where factory outlets for major brands would sell "slightly out of date" stock and "counter-seasonal" fashion from Europe at a discount.

Harbour Town centres in southern cities have stores such as Nike, Jag, Cue, Sheridan, Esprit, Ralph Lauren and Table Eight.

The developers also hope to build a cinema and food court in the centre.

"We are not a conventional shopping centre - we are more of a destination," Mr Cleland said.

"It's for the 'hunter-seeker', who looks and puts time into finding bargains.

"The stores are less service oriented.

"For the shopper who is time poor, it is not the right place to go.

"But if you enjoy shopping, are a 'hunter-seeker' who goes through racks, it is the right place."

Mr Cleland said he was still confident investing in a retail centre in the Territory despite the worsening global economy.

"Your economy is a lot better than most parts of the world at the moment," he said.

Chief Minister Paul Henderson said the Harbour Town complex could eventually grow bigger than the 190-shop Casuarina Square in Darwin's northern subrubs.

"This will bring a whole new meaning to retail therapy in the Territory."

The centre will create 120 jobs during construction and 1000 when it opens.

"We are talking about a major new shopping centre for the people of Darwin and the people of the Top End," Mr Henderson said.

"This will have more bargains for the people of Darwin, more competition in the retail market."

·
Beautiful Mountain
1,007 Posts
I'm pretty shocked about this, I didn't think Darwin was not big enough for a large factory outlet complex.

Harbourtown isn't that great IMO, plus I don't think this place would be popular in the wet season considering Harbourtown's outdoor mall design.

Would much prefer retail improved in the CBD and Cas Sqm get a major makeover.

I reckon this development has 'white elephant' written all over it
Yeah, it'd want to be enclosed and airconditioned. I think The Mall has suffered at the hands of Casuarina Square for that reason.

They should rip up The Mall and build an airconditioned multi level shopping centre with a decent anchor tenant or two.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which Side of Vanderline Drive would it built at? I think WOW Sight and Sound inside another commercial centre is already on one of these corners, trades 7 days.
Isn't both Harbour Town and WOW Queensland based centres.

It is quite a good central location for both Palmerston and the Northern Suburbs, I guess this corridor also would be built up in the future a bit too...

Here is a blog site.
http://www.darwinnewsblog.com/?p=1584
Some comments to this proposal
also:
:lol: I wonder who is the moderator of the site, the poll there obviously isn't a main streamer one, the poll on the site is about Ramsay Kitchen I think....

Note option 4.... :lol:

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
^^ The one thing that strikes me about that map is the comparative size of Darwin Airport in relation to Darwin's urban area (including Palmerston) - the airport takes up a massive footprint!

I'm not at all familiar with Darwin, but would I be correct in assuming most of the land between Darwin & Palmerston would be zoned for industrial purposes?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Just a point of interest, Is there still renewed hope for Myer for Darwin. I noticed Mackay with only a pop of around 90,000 is getting a Myer in 2011. Townsville also has a Myer plus a DFO which is U/C and I think Darwin should be trying to lure "DFO" rather then the plan of a Factory Outlet centre to get some decent retail, It just wouldnt work IMO.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
DFO is the same as Harbourtown - both feature average factory direct outlets, with the only difference being is that HT is a outdoor shopping complex.

You will find better stock in shopping centres, compared to factory outlets.

·
Registered
201 Posts
^^ The one thing that strikes me about that map is the comparative size of Darwin Airport in relation to Darwin's urban area (including Palmerston) - the airport takes up a massive footprint!

I'm not at all familiar with Darwin, but would I be correct in assuming most of the land between Darwin & Palmerston would be zoned for industrial purposes?
The Darwin International Airport is but a tenant of RAAF Base Darwin. The 15.26 square kilometre base is all owned by Defence and there is much land to the East of it that is also Defence land (including Defence Establishment Berrimah, formerly Coonawarra Naval Base, which is South West of the RAAF Base and Robertson Barracks which North of Palmerston). There is also the Shoal Bay spy base (but I can't tell you what that does). Much of Larrakeyah (in the city) is taken up with the Larrakeyah Army Barracks and the Darwin Naval Base.

The RAAF Base is huge and it makes Darwin's municipal area enormous relative to its population. But then again, Darwin Harbour is 1,000 square kilometres in area.

Some of the land between Darwin and Palmerston is zoned industrial but there is the Berrimah Prison in between as well as the NT Government Berrimah Research Farm (both South of the Stuart Highway). The latter has been earmarked (despite protests) by the Labor Government for sale as residential land. To do this, the government has announced that the overcrowded Berrimah Prison is to be replaced with a new $300 million prison elsewhere.

Towns like Tennant Creek would love to be the new home of the new prison but, unfortunately, as the vast majority of prisoners are indigenous (do the crime do the time), they prefer to be in a prison not far from their families so that they can get visits. This is likely to restrict the prison location to somewhere near Darwin.

·
®
6,018 Posts
Small news for small town....

Maccas on way
June 11th, 2009

MCDONALD'S has been given the green light to build a restaurant in Katherine.

The Development Consent Authority last week approved a building application and the restaurant is expected to be open by the end of the year.

Source: http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/06/11/57695_ntnews.html

btw, i thought Macdonalds only opens up stores in centres larger than 20,000.
Maccas has been in Alice Springs for at least 10 yrs now (i think it was 1998), Palmerston and a few in the Darwin metro area.

·
®
6,018 Posts
Not really for 20,000. I think it more like 10,000.
oh ok, :lol: here's another one.... this time, the story is making it sound like, we don't want to become another Parramatta Road, with 3 Maccas along one stretch of roadway to Ludmilla....

Newest McDonalds set for December opening

August 13th, 2009

THE new McDonald's store in Stuart Park should be open in December, the fast-food chain said.

Construction work has begun.

Five shops are being demolished to make way for the drive-through outlet between Hassan Place and Wedd Street.

McDonald's was given special permission by Darwin City Council to erect a 12m-high "golden arches" advertising pylon at the site.

The pylon will be 5m higher than allowed under council bylaws.

Once complete, it will mean there will be three McDonald's within 10 minutes drive from Darwin to Ludmilla.

One of the businesses being demolished, Seafleet Marine, was reluctant to move after operating from the site for 14 years.

Owner Scott Smith said he did try to stop the development — but he is believed to have sought compensation.

Chan ward alderman Greg Jarvis said the application for the big advertising sign should have been refused unless Darwin wanted to look like Parramatta Road in Sydney.

"It's outrageous and totally unacceptable," he said.

Mr Jarvis said the arches would lead to retailers city-wide wanting large advertising signs.
Source: http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/08/13/74955_nt-business.html

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Maccas is going to be located on the Stuart Highway, just need a KFC in the city now :).

Theres also a large retail complex earmarked for a vacant site on the Stuart Hwy in Stuart Park. Currently there is a large billboard on site advertising the project including an artists impression, looks decent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts