·
10th February 2008
60,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Liverpool One -

A 42-acre retail-led regeneration of Liverpool City Centre by Grosvenor, providing -

- 1.65million sq ft of new retail and leisure space
- 160 new retail units
- Flagship John Lewis (240,000sq ft) and Debenham (180,000sq ft) department stores
- 3 new car parks providing 3000 spaces
- Two new hotels, pre-let to Novotel and Hilton
- A 5-acre regenerated park
- 14 screen Odeon cinema
- Over 20 new restaurants
- A major transport interchange
- Over 300 apartments
- New BBC Radio Merseyside studios

Opening in two phases -
Phase 1 - Now Open
Phase 2 - 30th September 2008

- http://www.liverpool-one.com

~~~~~~~

St. Johns -

A £100m re-furbishment of the 1960's St. John's Shopping Centre, currently in planning.

- http://www.everydayforeverybody.com/st-johns.htm

~~~~~~~

Central Village -

A £160m re-development of the derelict land behind Central Station, due to start construction in the Autumn. The scheme includes two towers (25/20 storeys), a new hotel pre-let to an un-named international operator, as well as additional retail and leisure.

- http://centralvillageliverpool.com/

~~~~~~~

M&S -

A two-year re-furbishment of the Church Street store which will see the store extended at the rear to provide a frontage onto Williamson Square. The scheme will see the store increase in size by around 40%, up to around 120,000 sq ft.

·
Registered
30,493 Posts
http://www.clarencedock.com/ is the equivalent of Manchester's 'The Avenue'. Only leisure names have been released so far though. It launches in September officially.

Trinity Quarter, www.trinityleeds.com is preparing for construction later this year by demolishing the current mess of arcades and retail units. In 2010, new retail space will be delivered along with a remodelled shopping plaza. The development has been dubbed 'Leeds' Bullring'.

Eastgate www.eastgateleeds.com should start late this year/next year. The substation for the development has been built. It will open in phases around 2011. This is similar to Liverpool One.

Broadgate www.broadgateleeds.com should open soon- next month perhaps. Internal rebuilding of Allders brings 4 large retail units to The Headrow.

The Core will relaunch as a new shopping experience next year, regenerating the out-of-date Headrow Centre.

The refurbishment and cosmetic improvement of The Merrion Centre should be complete soon.

The remodelling of the podium of WRH has been completed and welcomed UO 2 months back, as well some other new units including a good sized Tesco Metro; the first real central supermarket.

The CornX has been relaunched as a food emporium although nothing seems to have happened yet. So we're waiting for them to announce some names or something. Some of the independent shops have been lost from the CornX- most of these are still trading on the internet though. Others have relocated to various arcades, and some of the larger names to The Light.

On the riverside, BWP has taken some retail units but I think the ones that are not being used are being changed to restaurant units. Granary Wharf's Dark Arches shopping area is going to be extended outside with the completion of Granary Wharf with it's leisure and some retail, although this is minor in the shadow of the projects above.

Leeds City Council is proposing a major redevelopment of Kirkgate Market. The 'sheds' are coming to the end of their lifespan so need replacing. The proposal is for a new frontage replacing the suburban style buildings on the north side, that will face the Harewood Quarter when built. This will provide a U shape with the Edwardian Hall and buildings on the south side, which will be glassed over to create one large market hall (as opposed to the several halls at the moment). The outdoor market will be retained although limited downsizing is indicated.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Sevenstone
860,000 sqft retail development,
260,000 sqft flagship John Lewis,
120 stores,
over 2,000 parking spaces,
200+ apartments,
Health Spa & Gym (IIRC),
Hotel,

'Open air' style mall.

Two buildings have been submitted for planning (outline was gained last year) and more should be soon, with work due to start this year.

http://www.sevenstone.co.uk
Click on 'View Design Panels' and you can see all the designs for it

The Moor
1 million sqft of retail,
(3 milion sqft development)
Offices,
Apartments,
Car Parking,
Student flats,
All the usual...

One block and a car park under construction. Permission granted for another block.

West Bar
170,000 sqft retail space
(2 million sqft masterplan)
Office,
Apartments,
Again - all the usual,

Outline permission granted, full applications should be going in soon

St. Pauls Place
140,000 sqft retail,
200,000 sqft office,
520 space MSCP,
316 apartments,
4*hotel (completed a couple of years ago)

All of the above include major new public spaces (multiple squares in some cases)

Then of course there are various single buildings with new retail space in the 'core' of the centre, and renovations/updates of existing retail spaces (Orchard Square for example)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
There seems an awful lot planned for Leeds, but i'm wondering if the city centre can sustain so many more shops that will just be filled with names that are relocating from elsewhere. I get the feeling Leeds has most, if not all of the big high street names (apart from a John Lewis) plus all the shops in the arcades so this is just going to leave big gaps elsewhere. Somethings got to give, probably one of the more outdated shopping centres. Any thoughts?

·
10th February 2008
60,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks chaps. Great round up from Liverpool, Leeds and sheffield. Glasgow and Birmingham where are you?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Hull

St Stephens

£200M+ development fronting Ferensway and covering 100,000 sq m.

Incorporating new shopping centre, new home for Hull Truck theatre, 220 new apartments, Albemarle childrens music centre and refurbishment of Paragon station into a state of the art transport interchange.

St Stephens has brought new names to the city that were not previously represented, including H&M and Zara

Shopping Centre now open and Transport Interchange completed.

Hotel and Music Centre now open.

Theatre U/C to be completed and opened late 2008.

Residential scheme to follow.

http://www.ststephens-hull.com//

Quay West

Kingston-upon-Hull City Council has granted planning permission for Henderson Global Investors and Invista's proposed refurbishment and extension of Hull's Princes Quay shopping centre. The Quay West development will increase current floor space by more than 500,000 sq ft, to create a new 725,000-sq ft retail destination.

The open-air scheme will reinstate streets and squares that existed in the area prior to the Second World War and will provide a substantial mix of uses. In addition to two new department stores, there will also be approximately 60 new stores; a new 140-room 4-star star hotel; ancillary offices and flats.

There will also be an increased focus on leisure and Vue Cinemas has agreed to develop a ten-screen cinema on top of the existing Princes Quay centre, opening towards the end of 2007.

Work is set to start late 2009 with completion 2012/2013.

Vue Cinema Conversion of top deck of Princes Quay shopping centre. Europes first fully digital cinema (Completed)
http://www.myvue.com/cinemas/index....&ci=73&submitChangCin.x=13&submitChangCin.y=7

·
Registered
30,493 Posts
There seems an awful lot planned for Leeds, but i'm wondering if the city centre can sustain so many more shops that will just be filled with names that are relocating from elsewhere. I get the feeling Leeds has most, if not all of the big high street names (apart from a John Lewis) plus all the shops in the arcades so this is just going to leave big gaps elsewhere. Somethings got to give, probably one of the more outdated shopping centres. Any thoughts?
Yes I'd probably agree. However, retailers are demanding nearly 2m sq.ft in Leeds, which will be primarily delivered through Eastgate and Trinity. John Lewis is planning a 260,000sq. ft store, and M&S are planning to build their UK flagship store in Leeds, which will be bigger than M&S Oxford Street. They have said that M&S Briggate would stay. I think therefore we can expect to see many retailers have 2 stores in the city; many already do. Much of the demand comes from retailers wanting more space* rather than new stores too. TK Maxx will be opening a large store in Broadgate, so their Shopping Plaza store will probably close (especially considering the remodelling that will happen there). Heals are rumoured.

*Important to note that most the large department stores in Leeds have gone; either because they have been split up into several retail units, or a shopping centre has been built there. The current department stores are generally smaller than their counterparts in other cities because of a lack of supply in new space.

Harewood Courts is going to be attracting high end retailers, mainly an extension of the Victoria Quarter. There are a number of high end retailers not in Leeds that may well take space here. Clarence Dock will take some of them too, but it's not so connected to the city centre so we'll have to see what happens there.

You mention older shopping centres will lose out. They've already realised this- even before the major schemes have started construction, the Merrion, Headrow and Leeds Shopping Plaza are remodelling all/part of their buildings. The SJ centre had a cosmetic make over not too long ago, as did the VQ. The planned developments are forcing the current retail core to improve.

I think when Eastgate opens we can expect to see it become the main shopping destination in the city; it's half the size of the current shopping core. As a result, Briggate and the current retail quarter may become an area with more independents, more boutiques, entertainment venues- moving away from high street retailing perhaps.

I'm pretty sure the current retail quarter won't turn into a ghost town though; people have to cross it from the station to get to the Eastgate quarters, and Trinity Quarter is in the exisiting retail core. None of the retail developments are going to be able to rival the arcades off Briggate either; these will always be popular.

------------
http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/2006/...a478_898f0311-5021-4d5f-abe8-a5e8c3f86e5e.pdf says this:

Detailed analysis of the schedule of retail requirements, the scale of development proposed, and the indicative tenant profile suggests that over two thirds of retail space in the Eastgate & Harewood scheme would be occupied by retailers who would either be newcomers to Leeds, or who would be expected to maintain two or more stores in the City Centre. The demand for space amongst retailers who would not be accommodated within Eastgate & Harewood is far greater than that which may be vacated by operators relocating within the centre. There are sufficient requirements to support the proposed development, and considerable demand will remain for representation in the rest of the City Centre.

·
Manc manqué
365 Posts
M&S are planning to build their UK flagship store in Leeds, which will be bigger than M&S Oxford Street
Un peu economic with the verité there, I feel: it is going to be 150,000 sq ft and 'one of the largest stores outside of London', which is an entirely different thing

·
Registered
30,493 Posts
Hmm; I can only find sources that say the largest outside of London. But I will go back on the Eastgate thread, because there was a conclusion that it must be their largest UK store.

Edit: Yes, you are right. But it will be the largest store outside of London, and John Lewis will also be one of the largest. There are comments that mention that HoF must have some worries, because of their rather limited and low quality store.

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts
There seems an awful lot planned for Leeds, but i'm wondering if the city centre can sustain so many more shops?

Leeds' has the highest demand from retailers for new space out of any other city in the UK. This is pretty remarkeable, and is good news.

Also.. Eastgate Quarters, while it will be on the scale and size of Liverpool One, it is going to be more upmarket, attracting more exclusive names, as it adjoins the upmarket victoria quarter. The advantage of this is that most of the retail there will be new names and brands, some of them not seen in the UK yet! - This is very diferent to Liverpool One that basically has attracted exisiting retail tenants such as Boots, JBB Sport, etc to relocate from their existing stores to Liverpool One - which i think is very bad imo.

·
10th February 2008
60,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leeds' has the highest demand from retailers for new space out of any other city in the UK. This is pretty remarkeable, and is good news.
Can you prove that Wiggs. I'm 100% sure London as well as other larger UK cities can lay claim to that dubious title.

·
control yourself
4,368 Posts
From earlier this month

EMail from M&S Customer Service, looks like Argyle St is due for a major refit.

Thank you for your email. I have spoken with the management team at Argyle Street and I have been advised that they will be having a major refit 2008/2009. This will be on a extremely large scale and will then make this store the largest store behind Marble Arch in London. I hope that this information is pleasing to you. Kind Regards

·
Registered
30,493 Posts
I've been trying to find the source that says that for a while, can't remember where it was though. But it is true; Leeds has higher retail demand than any other city. Sheffield is second.

You have to remember that it makes sense it would; Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham have all had retail developments to cater for at least some of the demand that may have been larger at one time.

The Glasgow M&S may be largest for a while; but they wouldn't be able to say M&S Templar Street would be the flagship and largest outside London if it wasn't true. So perhaps from 2009-2012 Glasgow will have the title unti M&S Eastgate opens.

·
Manc manqué
365 Posts
errm, if its the largest store outside london, and the only Megastore branded M&S, its likely that it will be their flagship/largest outside of london, given that it will be the only megastore, dur.
You implied that it was the company's flagship, full stop. The flagship, of which semantically you can only have one, is and will remain Marble Arch.

1 - 20 of 2568 Posts