Skyscraper City Forum banner

Will there ever be a riverse migration to the Northeast?

• Yes

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 19.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will the Northeast ever see a riverse migration of people relocate back to this area from the South and West? What event(s) could quite possibly cause this to happen?

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Two primary reasons:

- The cyclical nature of these things
- Water

Just like diffusion in chemisty - particles (people) move from areas of high pressure (population density) to those of low. It's just not at equilibrium yet.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
When taxes become as high as the NE.

When traffic becomes unbearable.

When home/land prices become outrageous.

Many of the new cities of the south and west are one company towns, if that company falters, the city will wilt.

Only time will tell.

·
18,281 Posts
Will the Northeast ever see a riverse migration of people relocate back to this area from the South and West? What event(s) could quite possibly cause to happen?
If taxes are lower in the Northeast than in other regions, then there will be a strong migration to the Northeast.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Two primary reasons:

- The cyclical nature of these things
- Water

Just like diffusion in chemisty - particles (people) move from areas of high pressure (population density) to those of low. It's just not at equilibrium yet.
Perfectly stated!!!!

Also you will note that the migration has actually slowed, and "doomed" Cities are getting new development and downtown energy in the NE again.

The NE is on the rise again, sure its no BOOM, but the tide is at least slowing

·
Registered
223 Posts
When taxes become as high as the NE.

When traffic becomes unbearable.

When home/land prices become outrageous.

Many of the new cities of the south and west are one company towns, if that company falters, the city will wilt.

Only time will tell.
I read a very interesting article on my Bloomberg terminal today at work about this.

The once Booming city of Littlerock has the potential to loose a few of its largest employers due to recent mergers. If the new (private equity) owners chose to dissemble these companies or mover their labour force to create synergies with other companies they own, Littlerock may no longer be the "heart" of Arkansas. NW Arkansas would/could truely dominate.

very interesting, especially with all of the M&A activity around the world right now.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
The NE is on the rise again, sure its no BOOM, but the tide is at least slowing
Nor will it, nor will the south and west "reboom" as greatly after that. It'll act as a damped wave function, because the density in those areas won't be starting from as low a relative density.

It's amazing how many things in life can [potentially] be explained by simple physics and chemistry. For example, there are even theories out there that traffic congestion stems from temporal disruptions that actually have nothing to do with volumes, and will occur even without what is normally perceived as a disruption. Sounds really crackpot sometimes, but when you read it, it's actually pretty interesting.

And who said learning Fluid Mechanics in college was useless? :lol:

When global warming really starts to heat up, and the climate of Buffalo starts to resemble that of Charlotte, then all those Buffalonians who moved to Charlotte will start moving back.
Please guard it never comes to that, I'm not ready to move to the Yukon. :eek:hno: Population stabilization and then slow, manageable growth and that's it! There was a woman at the grocery store today with a Charlotte NC tee-shirt on today. Ugh, if you like the place enough to wear a ratty shirt with it out grocery shopping, just move there for chrissakes.

Though judging how well we've managed decline, I'd hate to see how growth would be managed. Dear God I don't even want to think about it.

·
Premium Member
30,816 Posts
Probably not in the near future...although it's possible. The growth in many Southern states seem less sustainable in the long run, especially in Florida.

They will eventually mature like California did, and will probably pay for their growth through heavy taxes to make their services catch up with the population boom.

Florida especially, look how fast housing prices there got in the last 5 years, it's actually almost as expensive as Connecticut now, the insurance is high as hell, the schools can't deal with the population growth, the state is turning into a small California, which was the place to be back in the seventies (it still is now kind of...if you can afford it).

I actually know a family who moved from Hartford to Miami, and moved right back because they couldn't afford it with the higher cost of living, yet the salaries are much lower. That's why I would never move to Florida. I like the weather, but I don't want to make $20,000 less for the same job here.

I don't think that it will be as attractive when the state has to eventually raise taxes to pay all these services, and especially when dealing with the booming senior population especially.

People will probably move back, but the low job growth, high taxes, and other issues aren't going to attract people soon. That's why people are moving to North Carolina now, which still isn't that bad...yet. We will see where Atlanta and Charlotte are in 2020 to see if they go down the state of Florida's path...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
is reverse migration happening? No. Especially not when most Northeast cities are shrinking at a faster rate than they did in the 1990s. However, someone did mention the issue of water...when Phoenix and Las Vegas run out of water or can't import it fast enough, then maybe those people will flock back to the northeast where we have infinite fresh water.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
you spelled reverse wrong.....but anyways, i don't think (and wouldn't want there to be) a big migraiton to the northeast like the current ones to the southeast and interior west is going to happen...at least not in my lifetime. I think that there will be a "balancing out", and the nation's populaiton shift with stabeize so that there's no more exodus from the NE and Midwest to the south and west.....for the same reasons most others are giving here...populaiton dispersion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts