SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iceland's tallest residential is now u/c. Its gonna be 19 storeys tall and is the second of the Skuggahverfi waterfront towers in Reykjavik's city centre. Groundworks has started and concrete has been poured into the basement. I couldn't find any good pictures to link, but this is the best one:

I came across a picture of the site as it looked like in 1892. Interesting stuff:

Here's a link to the project's website, with some excellent flash pics

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeb, I thought it was completed too, but I guess it was only stage 1, and not the whole project...
Still a cool project :)

·
Some user
613 Posts
I will probabbly be the only one who is saddened by this project; those flats ruin the views of Rejkyavik's center and the waterfront. :(

Less stories or some other location would be better.

-Ataman

·
Disléxico Territorial
321 Posts
^^ I agree with you, some other place would have been better for this kind of project...

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don't agree really. Iceland is booming economically and needs to express progression just as well as London, Moscow or L.A. High-rises do the job, even if they could have been a little more original.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think there is still some construction going on that's visible from the opposite viewpoint from that photo. But most of the buildings are done and the very expensive apartments there put on sale. I don't know how many have actually been sold. There was some news last year that the contractor was considering converting the tallest tower into a hotel.

This building complex has also become infamous in the media because of many serious defects with the construction. The most serious was that the stone tiles used to cover the outside walls weren't sufficiently fastened to the wall. They soon started to rain down on the pavement below after some stormy weather. Each tile weighs 5 kg so you probably don't want one to hit you on your head.

EDIT: It should be mentioned that most of the holes in the picture are not from tiles that fell of by themselves but were removed by the contractor when they examined every tile. The problematic buildings were completely retiled after this happened and this is not a problem any more.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The last buildings of the Skuggahverfi complex are now under construction. It was put on hold like so many other projects in 2008 but now construction has resumed on the last two towers. One is 12 floors and the other 17 floors. The two floor, 308 square meter penthouse apartment in the taller tower is still available if anyone is interested.

Six residential towers were already completed so the complex will have eight towers when completed and a couple of smaller buildings. They are controversial buildings and the public and political opinion has turned against projects like these that seem so out of place in the old town of Reykjavík. But the permits were issued many years ago and could not be revoked without incurring payments of damages from the city to the builders.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The last buildings of the Skuggahverfi complex are now under construction. It was put on hold like so many other projects in 2008 but now construction has resumed on the last two towers. One is 12 floors and the other 17 floors. The two floor, 308 square meter penthouse apartment in the taller tower is still available if anyone is interested.
As a matter of interest, what's it on the market for?

·
Registered
374 Posts
As a matter of interest, what's it on the market for?
I don't find a price published anywhere so I guess they want potential buyers to make offers. The apartments are not completed when delivered by the builder. The buyer will need to finish the floors, walls, kitchen etc. I'm guessing a completed apartment like this might be something like € 1.5 million.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The penthouse apartment in the taller tower is now available for ISK 352,800,000 (€ 2,374,000). I was going to link to the ad but it seems to have been removed now after it went viral yesterday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts