SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Höfðatorg Tower
Reykjavik - Iceland

Höfðatorg Tower is under construction and is to become the tallest highrise building on Iceland uppon completion in
2010. Offices will occupy most of the building space, exept a shopping mall in the 1st floor. The tower have 19 floors,
with 2 basement floors and one smaller mechanical/elevator floor on top of the tower.

Höfðatorg is designed by PK Arkitektar and is a larger complex development with 6 buildings where three will be
residentials and 3 with offices. A shopping center will cover the 1st floor of all buildings. Two of the residentials towers
will be highrise-buildings, tallest on 16 floors and a 12 story highrise. Höfðatorg Tower (officially named H1) togather
with H2 (9fl tall) was started construction in 2008. H3 (9fl tall), S1 (12fl tall) and S1 (16fl tall) is supose to start
construction in 2009. The first one, 6 floor tall B1 was completed earlier in 2008.

The name Höfðatorg is taken from the house Höfði, a historical building close to Höfðatorg.

Höfðatorg complex (green = office | blue = shopping | yellow = residential)

·
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a construction update from September this year. Was starting to get curious about this project following the financial crisis, but can't find any news about it.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,718 Posts
If it's an April's fool, Ingenioren should have serious cred for his editing skills... Though I neither can imagine which Icelandic company that could back this construction up until now. Someone is sitting on some money they're hiding from the rest of the world?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Agree with inconfidente, it really does look out of place. Highrises need to fit into a context and this one really doesn't even if the building by itself looks good.

·
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ Reykjavik's city layout and buildings is incredibly messy from before, whatever highrise design and location they choose it will look out of place. Its hard to do anything there looking good. Maybe they should do some masterplanning, but they have an issue when the city is pretty small, not too fast growing, and in these times with the economy going down the drain!

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I think it matches Reykjavik, they have a very weird way of building a city, a mix of American sprawl with huge highways with no cars on them and large malls, and tiny waved-iron houses, modern appartmentsblocks with large gardens. Is pretty much Reykjavik (And other Icelandic towns)... :D I wouldn't want it any other way!

·
Mister
221 Posts
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/cityz/Urban/HfatorgTower1small.jpg

This would fit in Kista. :)
If it's an April's fool, Ingenioren should have serious cred for his editing skills... Though I neither can imagine which Icelandic company that could back this construction up until now. Someone is sitting on some money they're hiding from the rest of the world?
Iceland sit on huge oil fields larger then Norways. Money won't be a problem. :cheers:
I love the highrise, but..

This is just... too much :nuts:

Small tiny houses in front of this? not cool.
Obviously suburban houses will be moved eventually. As the city grow and expand. It's how progress work.
I think it matches Reykjavik, they have a very weird way of building a city, a mix of American sprawl with huge highways with no cars on them and large malls, and tiny waved-iron houses, modern appartmentsblocks with large gardens. Is pretty much Reykjavik (And other Icelandic towns)... :D I wouldn't want it any other way!
Yep. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hated it..I love highrises when it fits the surrounding area, but right next to Hofdi, come on...That is almost Reykjavik 101, old town, old buildings..They should have built it by the Kringlan or in the suburbs..Hideous....

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
^^ Reykjavik's city layout and buildings is incredibly messy from before, whatever highrise design and location they choose it will look out of place. Its hard to do anything there looking good. Maybe they should do some masterplanning, but they have an issue when the city is pretty small, not too fast growing, and in these times with the economy going down the drain!
There are a good number of highrises by the water, near the concert hall. Would fit there.

·
NWO Henchman
1,018 Posts
Iceland is located on very young land close to where two plates are moving apart (and hence coming up from Earth interior). I doubt the oil fields are that big.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts