SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed by the night time pictures provided by Ingenioren. I was hoping the building had a well defined interior shinning through the transparent glass like it do in both the opera house here and the one on in Copenhagen. Still a very nice building though.
:)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah I think that lighting in the picture is just the basic construction site lighting. The final lighting arrangement is probably one of the last things to be finished.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
Let me clarify:

Oslo:

Oslo Opera House 2 by slazgrc, on Flickr

Copenhagen:

Copenhagen Opera House by HansKristian, on Flickr

On both these buildings you can see a very well defined interior shinning through which is mostly cased by the "wood cube" inside each opera house. I thought I could see a similar wood structure in the interior in this picture:

Harpa by Guðjón Ottó, on Flickr

I see now that this is not the case based on Ingeniorens picture. I don't see how any light can change this. It's to do with the interior design.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I see what you mean. I think the design concept with the Reykjavík concert hall is to make the glass wall itself the center of attention whereas in the case of Copenhagen and Oslo (especially Oslo) the glass is more of a showcase for the insides of the buildings.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Let me clarify:

Oslo:

Oslo Opera House 2 by slazgrc, on Flickr

Copenhagen:

Copenhagen Opera House by HansKristian, on Flickr

On both these buildings you can see a very well defined interior shinning through which is mostly cased by the "wood cube" inside each opera house. I thought I could see a similar wood structure in the interior in this picture:

Harpa by Guðjón Ottó, on Flickr

I see now that this is not the case based on Ingeniorens picture. I don't see how any light can change this. It's to do with the interior design.
And what do these prime buildings have in common???
Maybe this can help, water- NY

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here is a video that shows a lot of different perspectives of the building and its insides. It's in Icelandic and has an annoying background music but I thought you guys might be interested in seeing it. This was shot one week ago and there is still quite some construction going on at that point as can be seen.

The first concert in the main hall was actually tonight.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The latest issue of the Reykjavík Grapevine, an English-language newspaper, published in Reykjavík features a article about Harpa (page 8) and a lengthy interview with Ólafur Elíasson (pages 16 through 21), the designer of its glass facade.

The issue is available as a pdf here.

·
Arae et foci
1,206 Posts
I was in the area today ( 8th of June ) and took some picture outside&inside, here they are:

If you look for railroad on Iceland - look no further! There she is. One and only steam locomotive in Reykjavik's Old Harbour. Lenght of tracks - 2 meters. And Harpa Concert Hall in the background:

Moving closer:

As you can see the area in a vicinity of a concert hall hasn't been developed yet. There were ambitious plans to cover/flyover the main road, connect the hall via pedestrian plaza to Old Town plus to build other buildings and 5 star hotel. These plans must wait:

Moving closer:

According to Minister of Culture and Education, Katrín Jakobsdóttir, cleaning of those windows will cost 8 mio Kronur annualy ( 48 000 Euro ):

Area yet to be developed from inside plus some Old Town&harbour views:

Views of inside public areas:

Harbour side:

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
If you look for railroad on Iceland - look no further! There she is. One and only steam locomotive in Reykjavik's Old Harbour. Lenght of tracks - 2 meters. And Harpa Concert Hall in the background:
Perhaps they could try to electrify this first and see if anyone gets killed?

Nice pictures btw. D

41 - 60 of 86 Posts