SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is an update: Constructions on this 20 storey tower began last week and will be completed in the autumn 2007. It will be 78 meters high and will be the tallest building in Iceland, 4 meters higher than the church Hallgrimskirkja in Reykjavik.

This 15 storey tower has been approved on the other side of the road.

Also a permission to build a 23 storey tower in this area has been submitted to the town council.

So Kopavogur will have the tallest building in Iceland before long, not Reykjavik.

·
NWO Henchman
1,018 Posts
Why didn't I see this before :?
This is good news for Iceland. They haven't gone over the top designwise, but it does have it's cousin in Oslo: KPMG-bygget:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gatis said:
Good news! Design is neutral, not especially good, not bad either - but having such highrise in Icelandic town - that sounds even exotic!
Although its a town, its in the Reykjavik metropolitan area. So sadly its isnt that exotic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More projects in Kópavogur, the Hördukór project will have 3 residential towers, one 15 storey, one 13 storey and one 12 storey.

Hördukór 1: 15 storey residential tower with 56 appartments. They have constructed all 15 stories. Expected to be finished this year.

Hördukór 3: 12 storeys. No pictures yet but contruction began in december. It will have 52 appartments.

Hördukór 5: 13 storeys with 44 appartments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The town of Kopavogur is essentially a part of Reykjavik, the Reykjavik metropolitan area consists of Reykjavik itself and 5-6 other towns, Kopavogur being the biggest of those around Reykjavik. So.. It feels pretty stupid to be posting all this on a thread that isn't labelled Reykjavik, because it's all the same place.

But okay here we go, time for a little update on the 20 floor Smaratorg office building in KOPAVOGUR.

It's 20 floors, 77 meters high, and it's getting pretty close to completion. This morning I went there and took a few pictures of the tower and the adjacent Smaralind shopping mall.

These first pictures are front views of the tower.

Right next to the building is the Smaralind shopping mall, however there is a street between the two. They are currently connecting the tower's second floor parking to the mall's second floor parking. The Smaratorg tower's main entrance and reception are on the second floor. Seen here:

Now here's a residential area right by the tower, the tallest building is 11 floors.

And finally, two pictures of the Smaralind shopping mall, just so you can sort of get the whole picture. On the second one you can see construction going on, that's the Smaralind north tower, 15 floors and 61 meters. It is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2009.

Hope you like these, I felt it was about time we got some good updates from Iceland and with pictures!

Please give your opinions!

thanks.

EDIT: Here are a couple of pictures of that Smaralind north tower, 15 floors, under construction.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
That's great, you icelanders really got it going for you! Your country is the most beautiful i've ever been too. Also fascinating that there's so much free area, and still you're not building boring low-rise structures! I was amazed too see how much cool construction is going on in little Reykjavik and other small towns. We could learn a thing or two from you in Norway!

·
12,320 Posts
Fantastic planns! Sounds a lot like the Forus planns released 6-7 years ago in Stavanger/Sandnes, where three of the proposing 15-20 highrises in the CBD would be between 35 and 45 floors! :cheers:

The reality did get much mure then 20 floors though, and max 110m, but its at least something.

·
forumer #29
4,548 Posts
Good to see some projects and pics from the coutry with least coverage on SSC N&B :)

I really like the Smaratorg tower, I could bitch about the suburban setting... but it is suburban Reykjavik so not much to talk about :)

The town of Kopavogur is essentially a part of Reykjavik, the Reykjavik metropolitan area consists of Reykjavik itself and 5-6 other towns, Kopavogur being the biggest of those around Reykjavik. So.. It feels pretty stupid to be posting all this on a thread that isn't labelled Reykjavik, because it's all the same place.
Makes sense to me. What you're saying, that is. So I'm renaming the thread to Reykjavik.

·
Registered
324 Posts
40 floors? Wow! Didn't know there were buildings taller than 4 floors over there (sorry for being ignorant :)) . 10 towers 15-40 floors will make Iceland to the most highrise-ish part of Scandinavia, so congratulations! =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive not long returned from Reykjavik and was very impressed with whats going on there. They have a foward thinking government that is very pro-active on future developments. The downtown area of Reykjavik is beautful and i think modern glass towers would look slighty out of place there. But as sveppur above pointed out above the the suburb of Kopavogur is ripe for this kind of development. I think the next couple of years will really put Reykjavik on the map. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Yup! Would like to see more projects from Reykjavik (fascinating town) this was what met me at the waterfront at the end of the main street last summer. Anything about that?

1 - 20 of 217 Posts