SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Technically, it's no more the "capital" of Champagne as Châlons is but it shouldn't prevent the French people from considering that it's unfair. Rheims (Reims in French) is the true France : large plains scattered with big and venerable old towns, a cathedral expressing the genius of the people of this country, wine and an industrious mindset.

Rheims embodies the French spirit and the Latin heritage not far from the border with the Germanic lands. Catholicism, our Kings, bourgeoisie. Placenames don't lie : a mix of Celtic settlements (Rheims, Châlons, ...), Roman villae (Epernay, Vrigny, Mutigny, ...), Germanic villages (Heutrégiville, Warmeriville, ...) and above all those medieval creations (Cormontreuil < Curtis Monasteriolis, Châtillon < Castillonem ).

This is where Clovis was baptised, where Colbert was born, where France had to suffer the most from German criminal commissions with the bombing of the cathedral. The town was mostly destroyed in 1918 : it was rebuilt in Art-Nouveau and Art-Déco style with much ecclectism. IMO, you don't understand the defeat of 1940 if you don't take into account that the heart of France had been demolished just 20 years before.

Time for a little tour beginning with the rail-station in the outskirts of the town :

Reaching the centre-town :

Rue Eugène-Desteuque near the Cathedral in the centre-town :

Around the Cathedral :

Details of the Cathedral :

Visiting the centre-town :

Colbert Street :

Place Royale :

Pommery Castle :

Saint-Remi Basilica where Remi is buried :

Around "Porte de Mars", a Roman ruin :

The Foujita Chapel :

L'Hôtel de Brimont :

Rheims from the towers of the Cathedral :

The Basilica :

Saint-André :

The Town Hall :

Place Royale :

In the distance in the South, the "Montagne de Reims" :

Let's leave the town for the neighbouring countryside ("Montagne de Reims") around Epernay (on the right), known of its Champagne :

Full Scale

Moët et Chandon and other Champagne castles :

Cumières :

Epernay as seen from the heights of Hautvillers :

Dizy :

Chamery :

Sermiers :

Rheims as seen from the "mountains" :

Rilly-la-Montagne :

·
Registered
895 Posts
So far, every place/city I've seen from France looks fabulous. Seriously, what a great country. A fucking amazing capital city, gorgeous cities all over the place, great countryside, great looking little villages and towns, nice weather everywhere... what else can one ask for?

·
***H***
4,168 Posts
The Gothic cathedral is beautiful. :)

·
Paris-the city beautiful
1,082 Posts
Thanks for the photos, especially the interior of the great cathedral. Some years back I was going to visit Rheims while on an extended holiday in Paris but a French friend discouraged me saying there was not much to see, but judging by these photos I think he was being a bit unfair - that's the trouble when you come from Paris you think most other (smaller) places are not worth seeing!

·
Super Moderator
19,117 Posts
Nice photo set! I don't think I've seen any Reims threads on ssc before, its a city I visited two or three times in the 80s and 90s on my trips to nearby Fismes.

I remember visiting the Mumm champagne cellars but my parents wouldn't let me sample any :cry:

·
Banned
18,001 Posts
Nice photo set! I don't think I've seen any Reims threads on ssc before, its a city I visited two or three times in the 80s and 90s on my trips to nearby Fismes.

I remember visiting the Mumm champagne cellars but my parents wouldn't let me sample any :cry:
^^Why on God's green Earth did you go to Fismes three times in the 80s and 90s? :?

·
Super Moderator
19,117 Posts
^^ :lol: I think I went to fismes 4 times actually, with day trips to Reims on 2 or 3 occasions.

It is twinned with the town I grew up in and where my parents still live, so I visited once on a school exchange and also families from our town would go and stay there one year while the people of fismes would come to visit us in alternate years.

·
Banned
18,001 Posts
^^I'll never understand how these crazy town twinnings work anyway. It's like you live in a peaceful town of Western Europe, everything is going fine, and next thing you know, your town is twinned with a place in Kazakhstan that you've never heard about and whose name you can't even pronounce.

I mean, how on Earth did the people in the Shrewbury local council heard about Fismes in the first place? Did they just unfold a Michelin map of France on the council board table, flipped a coin and looked on which town of France the coin had fallen?

PS: It would have made more sense for Shrewbury to twin with Dinan or something like that.

PPS: Just imagine if the coin had fallen on Maripasoula. :D

·
Super Moderator
19,117 Posts
^^I'll never understand how these crazy town twinnings work anyway. It's like you live in a peaceful town of Western Europe, everything is going fine, and next thing you know, your town is twinned with a place in Kazakhstan that you've never heard about and whose name you can't even pronounce.

I mean, how on Earth did the people in the Shrewbury local council heard about Fismes in the first place? Did they just unfold a Michelin map of France on the council board table, flipped a coin and looked on which town of France the coin had fallen?

PS: It would have made more sense for Shrewbury to twin with Dinan or something like that.

PPS: Just imagine if the coin had fallen on Maripasoula. :D
The town i grew up which is twinned with Fismes is a small market town some 20km north of shrewsbury called Wem. I don't know how the twinning happened, it is indeed strange how these things come to pas
Shrewsbury is only twinned with Zutphen in the Netherlands! I have never visited

1 - 20 of 23 Posts