SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oberhausen tram in Germany

One of the smartest things ever constructed. But here in a village? Or is Oberhausen a town? I dont know. Have been there, but havent really seen much. Well, this is a tram and bus station. Its going on a huge bridge over the town.

Some of the parts is a bit underground, but totally seperated from the other traffic. Pretty cool :)

Here a small picture, showing from inside of the bus towards a tram on the bridge. Here the bus can go towards the town or strait forward.

The blue bridge is where the tram and bus share tracks.

Does someone have some more of this interesting place? Is Oberhausen a city, town or a village? And how manye people lives there? It seemed to me its connected with other small villages or cities.

But for the final comment. This tram system, is a system that other small places, should learn from.

Regards,
Michal

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,334 Posts
Nice system!
:)
How big is that town?
:?
What is the lenght of the tram network?
:dunno:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well now,

I started looking though the thread and suddenly I saw a picture that I recognised - the "small" picture looking through the front of a bus about to pass a tram (with a bus behind it).

I am sorry the picture is so small, but my website has so many images that if I made them all much larger the site would take too long to download on computers where the internet connection is by dial-up modem.

The reason that image is so wide is because it was taken with what is known as a "stretch" or "panoramic" camera which uses regular 35mm film but takes wide images.

The image below shows the station at the Centr-O shopping centre. The station is actually very draughty, but it needs to be well ventilated because are a lot of motor buses use it, and good ventilation is needed to blow away the poisonous exhuast fumes.

both these pictures were taken in 1997.

my website is at www.citytransport.info, and one of the reasons for this website is to promote electric transports (especially trolleybuses and trams) because of the air pollution, which according to a House of Commons report (British Parliament) kills between 12,000 and 24,000 people every year.

Simon

ps, website will be updated this weekend - probably Sunday evening. I;ve finally started to spell check it, plus most pages completed and almost all images will be uplifted.

·
THE FALLEN EMPIRE
806 Posts
I wonder why are these trams painted exactly as those in Poznan (Poland). Interesting.
MPK Poznan

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hehe.. same colors.. that wagon seems to be a testwagon for the Oslo tram network, which was used.. seen it on a picture somewhere.

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
Here some facts about the tram:

lines: 1
length: 9,6 km

Then there´s the MVG(Mülheimer Verkehrsgesellschaft) which has also a tram and "Stadtbahn" network. It is also connected with the Oberhausen tram.
Facts:

lines: 5
length: 33,0 km

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice. Bergen is the second largest city in Norway, with about 260 000 :) and it dosent have any tram system. Thought, now its said and done. Bergen will have its first light-rail/tram system in about 5 years. The building will start in November this year.

Oberhaussen is a really good example, that tram is a nice sollution.

Regards,
Michal

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
Transport in Germany, Part 2: Rhein/Ruhr

First I have an awesome map from Rhein/Ruhr (Germany)!

You can see all S-bahn, tram and U-bahn(Stadtbahn) lines there.

Look here:

I´ll post some pics from trains there later!

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,334 Posts
WOW!! :eek2:
Your maps are great, as usual.
:wink2:
Thanks!
;)

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
^^ True, it would be amazing if they included Köln and Bonn. These two cities are generally accepted as part of the greater Rhein/Ruhr today, yet their transport is seperated on maps.

Here is a schematic of the Rhein/Ruhr public transport network, minus the large Köln/Bonn network to the south.

Here is a pdf of the Köln/Bahn part of the network: (continues directly south of the above map)
http://www.kvb-koeln.de/german/fahrplan/download/vrs_ges_1204.pdf

·
45,199 Posts
The first map would even more impressive if all railwaylines would be included, not only the S-Bahn network. I am always amazed at the density of railwaylines in the Ruhr area. I am looking forward to see some pictures.

Bonn and Cologne area deserves a thread of it's own in this series!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this trams going between small towns which are pretty close to each others? Or? Very nice system. Big maps though ;)

1 - 20 of 243 Posts