SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
AmiDelf said:
Is this trams going between small towns which are pretty close to each others? Or? Very nice system. Big maps though ;)
Rhein-Ruhr area is one of Europe's major metropolitan areas. It's made up of some 15 big cities (>100,000, including Düsseldorf, Essen, and Dortmund) and many smaller ones and is said to have about 7 million inhabitants. Directly attached to the south is the Rhein-Sieg metropolitan area (including Cologne and Bonn).

Together it's 12 million inhabitants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine-Ruhr) and can almost be called a German New York City, though much more spread out and with less common identity. It also lacks the skyscrapers and the feel of a real metropolis. It consists of 25 big cities and has 45 universities, 3 airports, 12 S-Bahn lines, and some 20-40 metro tram lines.

It's hard to count the metro tram lines because many of them share tracks. You can find anything from genuine trams to metro tram lines that run partly underground and partly share tracks with road traffic. None of the lines can be called a full metro (except perhaps U35). Among the more interesting lines are U35, U11, U18, U79 and Cologne's line 4 and line 18 which runs from Cologne into the underground stretch of Bonn.

It's a bit silly but the transportation and tariff system is still separated into a northern part (Rhein-Ruhr, or VRR) and a southern part (Cologne/Bonn and vicinity, or VRS).

The clearest map of the northern part is the VRR map below:

blue = metro or metro tram lines
orange = S-Bahn lines
purple and green = RE and RB (heavy-rail regional express lines and regional lines)

The same as PDF: http://efa.vrr.de/vrr/linienplan_schnellverkehr.pdf
And, again, the VRS part as PDF: http://www.kvb-koeln.de/german/fahrplan/download/vrs_ges_1204.pdf

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Impressive railway/stadtbahn networks, depressing cities, to say the least. The mining industry hasn't done the region much good over there. Last year, I drove to Dortmund a couple of times for business reasons. I was always glad to leave that town and head back west to Holland.
Cologne's Dom is quite OK, though ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
:eek2: :eek2:
After the Berlin Hauptbahnhof another great project for the DB! WoW

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
LuckyLuke said:
Essen will also get a new Mainstation
Yeah but I guess that will take some time.

this was one of the proposals for the new mainstation in Essen btw:

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
I like the new Dortmund station plans, but I did prefer the original plan which was a big dome type construction.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
lpioe said:
the proposal for essen looks really cool
as for dortmund, i dont know. i think its ok, but i would prefer the old version too
Yes, Essen looks much better than Dortmunds design.
I would also have preferred the UFO design for Dortmund.
The current design is ok, but it looks too much like a mall or something.
a bit bland.

·
Registered
167 Posts
S-Bahn under Beach of Bremer Strasse in Dusseldorf

New S-Bahn-Tunnel (Tube) under Beach of Bremer Strasse in Dusseldorf

Open Samstag, 30. Juni 2007 / clock 11am

Tube - S-Bahn - Station "Medienhafen / Lausward"

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
:stupid:

That would have meant it would be a project - with plenty of official info on Google. The only links I get when searching for "Strand Bremerstrasse Tunnel" are the ones to threads on this forum...

21 - 40 of 243 Posts