It is reported to be founded in early 12th century A.D. in Jerusalem, by Pierre Gerard as a hospitaller Order. In 1247, after the fall of Jerusalem, the Knights of St John begin to lose their forts one after the other, and finally sail to Cyprus, in 1291. There, Grandmaster Foulques de Villaret starts negotiating with landowner Vigniolo de Vignioli, who finally sells him Rhodos, and therefore, in 1309 the Order of St John, counting about 600 knights, occupies the island. From this time and until their depart, in 1523, they will be called “The Knights of Rhodos”.
The construction began in 1928,by the italian architect Pietro Lombardi. The complex was arranged in three levels:
From the main entrance, which was truly magnificent the visitor proceeded to a square open space with a circular fountain and the stairs which follow the ground relief. The second entrance leads to the main stairway and is flanked by collumns that once supported a pergola covered with bougavilea plants. The stairway leads to the portico, on the right and on the left to circular facilities housing the laboratories and the offices,and further ,to another stairway that ends, on the left and right,at the main Rotunda .
The building has a dome 14 metters high elaborately decoraded and equipped with lozengeshaped blue glass windows that provide lighting. Under the Dome ,the water of the spring flows from the six fountains into a circular cistern. The Rotunda has four staired entrances. Two inscriptions are incised on the exterior and the interior part of the Building.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to skyscrapers, towers, highrises, construction, and city planning enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about structures, styles, reviews, scale, transportation, skylines, architecture, and more!