SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Australian EU in London!
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...pronounced-dead/2006/05/07/1146940399192.html

Veteran Nine Network reporter Richard Carleton has died after suffering a suspected heart attack at Tasmania's Beaconsfield gold mine this afternoon, Tasmanian police say.

Carleton collapsed shortly after asking a question at a news conference about 1pm. Members of the media began performing chest compressions as an ambulance crew arrived.

Carleton, who reports for the network's flagship 60 Minutes program, has a history of heart problems.

Nine presenter Mike Munro confirmed the death during a televised news update.

"He was given treatment on the spot and taken to hospital," a visibly shaken Munro said.

"He was taken to hospital, as you can see, where doctors have only just pronounced him dead.

"Our friend and colleague, Richard Carleton, from 60 Minutes, dead."

Carleton had asked Beaconsfield mine manager Matthew Gill about the safety history of the mine shortly before he collapsed.

Nine Network colleague Tracy Grimshaw, who hosts A Current Affair, was among those initially gathered around Carleton.

Carleton has experienced a number of health scares, the first in 1988 when he underwent a heart bypass and in 2003 when he suffered a heart attack.

In 2005 he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Paramedics loaded Carleton into an ambulance, which turned off its siren as it left the scene bound for Launceston hospital.

Prior to Carleton's collapse, children had gathered to collect autographs from some of the high-profile television personalities covering the mine drama.

One little girl's mother said that Carleton wrote on her daughter's piece of paper: "Have a healthy life".

- AAP
-------------------------------------------------------------

So, another death at Beaconsfield, but one that was totally out of left-field. The world works in very strange ways indeed...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:eek: !!!!!!!

Sincere comiserations to his family and friends.

can't say i will miss him though. 60 Minutes is one of the worst shows on TV

(he he - Wikipedia is already updated).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
From ninemsn.com.au....

Veteran reporter Richard Carleton dies at mine site
Sunday May 7 15:12 AEST
Veteran Nine Network reporter Richard Carleton has died after suffering a suspected heart attack at Tasmania's Beaconsfield Gold Mine, Tasmanian police say.

"He has died," Tasmanian police constable Phil Pike told AAP.

Nine presenter Mike Munro confirmed the death during a televised news update.

"He was given treatment on the spot and taken to hospital," a visibly shaken Munro said.

"He was taken to hospital, as you can see, where doctors have only just pronounced him dead.

"Our friend and colleague, Richard Carleton, from 60 Minutes, dead."

Tasmanian government adviser Shaun Rigby said he saw Carleton collapse soon after asking a question at a press conference about the mine rescue.

"I saw him, and I said 'he's down' and we rushed over there pretty much straight away," Mr Rigby told reporters.

He said a radio journalist began CPR while Mr Rigby called an ambulance and sent someone to the mine site to get medical experts working with the trapped miners.

Among them was Dr Andrew Hughes, the director the Tasmanian Medical Retrieval Service, who has been working closely with the trapped miners.

Dr Hughes was the main doctor who worked on Carleton before was taken away in an ambulance, Mr Rigby said.

He said people had been traumatised by the veteran reporter's death.

"There's people in tears, there's people in shock. It's been horrible - it's just horrible," Mr Rigby said.

He said he had tried to offer Carleton some dignity as he lay on the ground.

"I basically told people to clear the area, get some blankets. Everyone deserves a bit of dignity especially when lying on your back in that situation with 30 cameras (around)," Mr Rigby said.

"People from Nine, Seven, all kinds of people from all kinds of networks helped out.

"And we took them in there (to the mine's media centre) sat them down and had a coffee."

©AAP 2006

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
too right Anton

i wont miss him at all

its still pretty bad

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Mmm me too!!

he was a sensational reporter and a great icon for 60 Minutes

i feel for his family, friends and his workmates

let him rest in peace!!

·
Banned
481 Posts
60 Minutes decided to go ahead and air his documentary on the Tasmania mines last night because they felt that's what he would have wanted.

It was weird watching the documentary knowing he had only just died.

Sad.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sad hes dead. Another crappy reporter gone, another new one tomorrow. You can bet Tracy Grimshaw was blaming someone before he even hit the ground.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Now we will get the "accolades" from all the back slapping arse kissers.

He lived, he died. He made **** all difference and lowered the standard of journalism in this country all for the devil's candy.

He won't be missed!

·
Watch my Chops
6,034 Posts
O lord let the rest of channel nines news and current affairs programs join you.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't watch 60 minutes (I agree with Anton - It's not that good ;) ), so I've never actually had an opinion of him, but I was pretty surprised that he passed away. Can't say many journalists are respected, but sincere condolences to his family regardless!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:
Now we will get the "accolades" from all the back slapping arse kissers.

He lived, he died. He made **** all difference and lowered the standard of journalism in this country all for the devil's candy.

He won't be missed!
You are one of the most dumbest and heartless pricks i have ever meet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts