Skyscraper City Forum banner
281 - 300 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/10/22/developers-kick-off-another-downtown-rehab/

13 new apartments being renovated by downtown. This is also just a block away form the Central National Bank building I posted earlier, the tall building.

I think one of the things we're seeing so much more of in Richmond is the renovation of current buildings into apartments. A lot of other cities I see new apartments but here its a lot of renovations.

Such as this one (http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/06/18/downtown-pub-building-to-add-apartments/) thats only about three blocks away from the one the post is about.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If Dan Snyder ultimately decides to move the Washington Redskins to Richmond (and he has expressed interest in the past for moving to Virginia) rather than change his team's name, where would be the best possible place in the city for a new football stadium?

I was thinking next door to the NASCAR stadium (or Richmond International Raceway):

·
Registered
18 Posts
If Dan Snyder ultimately decides to move the Washington Redskins to Richmond (and he has expressed interest in the past for moving to Virginia) rather than change his team's name, where would be the best possible place in the city for a new football stadium?

I was thinking next door to the NASCAR stadium (or Richmond International Raceway):

By moving the team to Virginia, I'm pretty sure he meant Northern Virginia, not Richmond. If the team moved to Richmond, they couldn't call the team the Washington Redskins. A move to Richmond will never happen.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
By moving the team to Virginia, I'm pretty sure he meant Northern Virginia, not Richmond. If the team moved to Richmond, they couldn't call the team the Washington Redskins. A move to Richmond will never happen.
They already have practice facilities down there, and besides I think Dan Snyder cares more about keeping 'Redskins' as part of the team name. He'll probably be happy to rename them the 'Richmond Redskins'.

·
Registered
51 Posts
New 21 floor building slated for RVA. Occupancy in 2017 so construction should start soon.

http://wtvr.com/2016/01/20/new-21-story-tower-to-change-richmond-skyline/

It's only 21 floors but given its location will be quite visible.
Stoked for this. Height is underwhelming but infill is better than pure height anyways! Plus it's mixed use which is really cool. Office and residential to add some more permanent residents to downtown. With this, the central national Bank and another apartment building being converted downtown there will be quite a few people added to the area.

·
Registered
425 Posts
New 21 floor building slated for RVA. Occupancy in 2017 so construction should start soon.

http://wtvr.com/2016/01/20/new-21-story-tower-to-change-richmond-skyline/

It's only 21 floors but given its location will be quite visible.
While I am very happy to see another great infill development in downtown Richmond, I really wish the city would build something higher. Richmond really needs a signature tower in the 40+ story range. Are there building height limits in the zoning code restrictive to high-rise development for buildings 500+ feet in downtown Richmond or is the office demand just not there to justify taller skyscrapers?

Still glad to see downtown post-recession Richmond continue to develop nicely.

·
Registered
51 Posts
While I am very happy to see another great infill development in downtown Richmond, I really wish the city would build something higher. Richmond really needs a signature tower in the 40+ story range. Are there building height limits in the zoning code restrictive to high-rise development for buildings 500+ feet in downtown Richmond or is the office demand just not there to justify taller skyscrapers?

Still glad to see downtown post-recession Richmond continue to develop nicely.
No height limitations that I know of. I'm sure it's just office demand. Over the past 10 years this will only be the third downtown high rise. While there is a lot of development happening here a lot of it is fixing up old buildings right now. However with this building we may be seeing demand starting to rise as our last high rise just opened a few months ago. I agree a taller tower would be great but I'll take this project in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Both. There are pretty strict height restrictions in most places. This site is along the canal and adjacent to 19th and early 20th century warehouses converted into housing and office space. I'm surprised (happily) that this height was approved.

Dominion Recourses is building a new high-rise a few blocks from this site. That should be much taller (up to 45-50 floors maybe which will dwarf everything around it). Renderings should be available soon.

Richmond had a lot of vacant office and retail space in the city. Most of that has been snatched up over the last ten years or so which has made it possible to add thousands of jobs and thousands of new residents downtown without much new construction. A new apartment building this size is indicative of new construction to come (everything else has already been converted).

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to Richmond

Hi all,

My wife and I moved to Richmond from NYC in July 2015. So far we are loving this city. Let me just say Richmond has the perfect mix of a northern cities density and age, and a southern cities friendliness and openness. The city has a lot of character and it's nice to see the city growing. Thats how I came across this forum, I love seeing the development of the city. I hope moving here from NYC will give this forum a different perspective on the development of the city.

Just a few things I wanted to mention from reading the forum:

About the new Suntrust tower going up. It's great we are getting a new tower downtown, but what's going to move into where Suntrust once was, how long will that tower be vacant. New towers are great, but empty towers are worse, the city needs to attract more companies downtown to fill these vacancies rather than whats already here jumping around different buildings. Thoughts or news on this?

Coming from NYC I can't not mention the importance of public transportation. If you really want to see the city grow and prosper (especially downtown) we need to drastically overhaul the public transit system. I know that the rapid bus line is suppose to be developing soon, which is a good start, but it needs to happen faster. The whole PT system in this city is pretty bad. Working in this city I here a lot about how they're trying to get the amount of people walking around downtown and else where up, like in NYC. Well I can tell you first hand the photos and videos of NYC sidewalks packed with people is mainly because of the great PT in the city. Most of those people are either walking to or from PT.

PT also kind of plays into another thought I have, parking lots. This city has a ton of parking lots. It's crazy to me. It's just wasted space, I know everyone drives here and has a car, but coming from NY it blows my mind how much space is taken up by a flat piece of asphalt. Better PT will mean less people having to drive downtown, which means less need for parking, which means these asphalt deserts can be developed into something more useful.

Another thing that downtown needs to really improve is, frankly, a box store. The city wants downtown to be a "live, work, play" area, thats great. But, they're missing one key piece of the "live" part of the equation, thats shopping. Not shopping for handmade pottery or chic artsy furniture; shopping for laundry detergent and lightbulbs and groceries. It's not fancy but it's a necessity of life. In NY we have an urban built Target store every mile or less, with it some other staple chain stores (Bath and Body Works, Victoria Secrets, DSW). This is where everyone goes, rich, middle-class, and poor, for the basics. Something like this would fit well in downtown and fix the equation of live, work, play. If anybody has any news on this or other ideas on how to solve it let me know, I'm just speaking from my experiences.

Last and not least is the new Dominion Tower planned for downtown. I'm wicked excited for this, and as soon as there's a rendering can someone post it here! I really hope the tower defines the skyline, a signature tower that when people see it, they say "hey thats Richmond". Also if we want to get the tallest building in VA record (which I think should be in Richmond, the only "real" city VA has) we're gonna have to beat the new Capital One tower going up in Tysons which is suppose to top out at 470feet.

Again, I'm happy to be in Richmond, I'm happy the city is growing and developing and I hope I can bring a useful perspective to this forum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all,

My wife and I moved to Richmond from NYC in July 2015. So far we are loving this city. Let me just say Richmond has the perfect mix of a northern cities density and age, and a southern cities friendliness and openness. The city has a lot of character and it's nice to see the city growing. Thats how I came across this forum, I love seeing the development of the city. I hope moving here from NYC will give this forum a different perspective on the development of the city.

About the new Suntrust tower going up. It's great we are getting a new tower downtown, but what's going to move into where Suntrust once was, how long will that tower be vacant. New towers are great, but empty towers are worse, the city needs to attract more companies downtown to fill these vacancies rather than whats already here jumping around different buildings. Thoughts or news on this?

Coming from NYC I can't not mention the importance of public transportation. If you really want to see the city grow and prosper (especially downtown) we need to drastically overhaul the public transit system. I know that the rapid bus line is suppose to be developing soon, which is a good start, but it needs to happen faster. The whole PT system in this city is pretty bad. Working in this city I here a lot about how they're trying to get the amount of people walking around downtown and else where up, like in NYC. Well I can tell you first hand the photos and videos of NYC sidewalks packed with people is mainly because of the great PT in the city. Most of those people are either walking to or from PT.

PT also kind of plays into another thought I have, parking lots. This city has a ton of parking lots. It's crazy to me. It's just wasted space, I know everyone drives here and has a car, but coming from NY it blows my mind how much space is taken up by a flat piece of asphalt. Better PT will mean less people having to drive downtown, which means less need for parking, which means these asphalt deserts can be developed into something more useful.

Another thing that downtown needs to really improve is, frankly, a box store. The city wants downtown to be a "live, work, play" area, thats great. But, they're missing one key piece of the "live" part of the equation, thats shopping. Not shopping for handmade pottery or chic artsy furniture; shopping for laundry detergent and lightbulbs and groceries. It's not fancy but it's a necessity of life. In NY we have an urban built Target store every mile or less, with it some other staple chain stores (Bath and Body Works, Victoria Secrets, DSW). This is where everyone goes, rich, middle-class, and poor, for the basics. Something like this would fit well in downtown and fix the equation of live, work, play. If anybody has any news on this or other ideas on how to solve it let me know, I'm just speaking from my experiences.

Last and not least is the new Dominion Tower planned for downtown. I'm wicked excited for this, and as soon as there's a rendering can someone post it here! I really hope the tower defines the skyline, a signature tower that when people see it, they say "hey thats Richmond". Also if we want to get the tallest building in VA record (which I think should be in Richmond, the only "real" city VA has) we're gonna have to beat the new Capital One tower going up in Tysons which is suppose to top out at 470feet.

Again, I'm happy to be in Richmond, I'm happy the city is growing and developing and I hope I can bring a useful perspective to this forum.
Great post---and you are so correct about the need for retail shopping in downtown Richmond. You're a newcomer to the city so you don't remember the great downtown retail core Richmond once had. It was centered along Grace and Broad Streets between 9th and 5th Streets and was arguably the finest retail district in the entire South. Anchored by two huge department stores (Thalheimer's and Miller&Rhoads) it also featured three beautiful movie palaces (Loew's, National, and Colonial), fine clothing stores (Berry-Burke, Greentree's, and Montaldo's), and all the usual variety stores(Woolworth's, W.T. Grant, G.C. Murphy, etc.).

Alas, that is all gone today--out to the suburban malls and strip shopping centers. What I find so amazing is that today Norfolk can maintain a magnificent shopping palace (the Mac Arthur Center) complete with Nordstrom's and Dillard's in the heart of its downtown, while Richmond has practically no retail left along Grace Street.

As for public transit, why isn't there any streetcar/trolley/light rail in Richmond--the home of the streetcar? Downtown Richmond practically cries out for a downtown streetcar loop running from Monroe Park down Broad Street to 17th Street and then south to Main Street and west on Main St. back to Monroe Park. It would connect VCU with its MCV campus and stimulate growth throughout the downtown area.

Anyways, I'm glad you and your wife are happy you moved to Richmond. I myself once lived in Richmond and I still love the place. It is a beautiful and truly special city--the best kept secret on the East coast IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

Welcome to Richmond! People like you with a fresh perspective on things is what Richmond needs a lot of. I will warn you now though...you will get frustrated by some of the stupid crap that the leaders of this city do as well as some of the philosophies of citizens in all their extremes. With that said, the city is a gem and is on the cusp of busting out and becoming super great! If you want to discuss more about Richmond development, I'd say that the preponderance of people discussing these issues are here : https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/202-richmond/
However, there are a showing of discussions here (obviously) and other various skyscraper pages. Once you learn the history of urban Richmond you will understand a little more of why Richmond is the way it is right now and you will understand its full potential (that's the frustrating part - why aren't we there already?). I will say that Richmond is currently going through a very exciting revival and much of what you say Richmond needs is very shortly coming to fruition! Lots of people are moving back to the city and the downtown area, which will draw in those much needed necessities for living in an urban setting...it's all coming. Anyway, welcome and come discuss Richmond with us!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all,

I have to assume this is the Daniel that worked at Quirk hotel with me. This is Tim Parker I was a server at the restaraunt. If this isn't you then disregard.
Glad to hear you're starting to love this city I know I've talked a lot about it. And everything you said is absolutely true! We are starting to see more people move back into richmond and hopefully we will all be more vocal about what we want to the government as well as developers. What is happening now is great but so much more can happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep you caught me Tim, I've been following this forum for awhile and finally decided to join. Not surprised to find you here, you were always talking about the growth and development of Richmond at work and now you got me doing it!
Don't forget to visit us here: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/202-richmond/

Much more active forum.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Construction on the city's new $63 million Pulse Bus Rapid Transit along Broad Street began August 16th. It is expected to start service in October of 2017. I would definitely like to see light rail in Richmond's future, but this seems like it could be a promising start to make the city more transit accessible.

From the article:
The Pulse system will encompass 10 compressed natural gas-fueled buses, 14 stations with 26 platforms, and the removal of more than 300 parking spaces along 7.6 miles from Willow Lawn to Rocketts Landing. It is scheduled to begin operation in October 2017.
http://www.richmond.com/news/article_3e26a66c-ac49-5919-a469-c3857421d9a0.html

GRTC Pulse Page:
http://www.ridegrtc.com/brt

281 - 300 of 333 Posts