Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these don't hold a candle to LSyd's recent photos of Richmond, but I thought I'd share them anyways. The bulk of the photos focus on the Capitol Square area of Downtown Richmond. The State Capitol recently underwent a very thorough and expensive restoration project. There's also some photos from other parts of Downtown like City Center and along Main Street. Hopefully you enjoy them!

These first few are from a few days ago.

Looking west towards the James River from the Canal Walk

The Haxall Canal portion of the Canal Walk

Fencing up for MeadWestvaco's new Headquarters along the Riverfront

Groundbreaking Ceremony

Quickly, Meadwestvaco's new HQ will look like this when finished:

Sorry. Back to photos

Rockett's Landing is progressing nicely... $500 million riverfront project

A State Office Building... The Madison I think.

The rest will be numbered...
1. Sorry for the slight blurriness in this and the next

Okay, the rest are from today
3. Main Street Centre

4. Nice day = lots of people on Main Street!

4a.

5. Main Street urban canyon

6. Capital Ale's expansion is coming along nicely. Hopefully not too much longer... They already offer 50 beers on tap and are adding a beer garden and cabaret.

7. Soon to be the 20-22 story Centennial Tower Project

8. Richmond Times-Dispatch Bldg

9. Looking west on Grace Street from near Capitol Square

10. Suntrust tower through the trees

11. Around Capitol Square

The following are views of and from Capitol Square...

16. The State Capitol

22. Entrance to the new underground visitor center for the Capitol

23. Seal of the Commonwealth

24. Suntrust Tower

25. Suntrust with Riverfront Plaza in the background

26. Inside Capitol's visitor center

Inside the renovated Capitol... beautiful
27. Houdon's priceless sculpture of George Washington

32. It was difficult to get the entire rotunda in one picture...sorry it cuts off

33. Sceptor of the General Assembly

34. George Mason

35. Sam Houston, born in Rockbridge County, VA

37. Peaking inside the House Chambers

41. Beautiful...

45. Stairs!

48. The ORIGINAL plaster model of the Capitol, made in 1785!

51. Robert E. Lee

53. Inside the visitor's center... note Jefferson's quote wrapping around the wall

Back outside, photos from and of Capitol Square again

61. Existing Federal Courthouse

62. Seal of the Commonwealth in front of the Capitol

63. Washington Building

64. Bank of America, Capitol Place, James Center, etc..

65. Finance Building

67. Old State Library, currently State Supreme Court Building I believe.

68. Governor's Mansion

72. Washington Monument

78. West along Grace again

80. New Federal Courthouse looks great!

81. Bye bye Murphy :(

82. Nice line of towers down 7th towards the rivah

83. Hole in the side of Miller and Rhoads- they were dumping demo'ed material out of this hole. Lots of work going on inside

84. Federal Courthouse

85. 6th Street Marketplace food court down the street... it'll be closing soon as the city hopes to re-tenant

86. Miller and Rhoads Conversion

88. Library of Virginia and City Hall

89. Anyone know what this is? I saw it on St. Peter's which is next to the Murphy? Does it have to do with the Murphy's upcoming demolition?

90. What used to be here?

Well, that's all I've got. Hope it was worth it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I never tire of looking at anybody's pictures of Richmond, but Coupe's are extraordinary.

The Houdon statue of Washington in the Capitol's Rotunda is priceless. There are copies of it all over the World, but the original is right there in Richmond.

It is so gratifying as an old and former Richmonder to see how well the city is maintained. There were times of slippage, but it's got itself together and is truly on the verge of greatness.

Richmond's dense skyline is flat-topped and unspectacular in height; still the scale is impressive. Several new towers are in the pipeline and, who knows, perhaps Richmond will reclaim its title as the site of Virginia's tallest building?

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
great pics. why's the murphy being demo'd? that's stupid.

-

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, and can't disagree with you there... unfortunately, the State has had an unofficial policy of demolition by neglect which has been particularly hard on the 8th St Office Bldg (old Murphy Hotel). Instead of the original plan where the 8th and 9th (old Richmond Hotel) Street buildings would be torn down, the Murphy will go but the 9th will stay and be incorporated into the new building which will front Broad st:

From Broad St

From Grace St (New Courthouse U/C on left)

Worthy architectural pieces from the Murphy such as the cornices will be carefully removed and incorporated into a new multifloor atrium connecting the new building to the 9th St. The Murphy will basically be taken apart piece by piece.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Though old Murphy's Hotel is in the process of demolition, the new state building replacing it is quite stunning, IMO. As seen in the second picture, its presence, together with the addition of other buildings and smart streetscaping, is transforming that section of Broad Street into a Boulevard.

The State Library of Virginia is directly across the street; a block west is the new Federal Court House and across 7th Street from it the new Performing Arts Center is rising as well as the restored National Theatre across Broad at 7th. New and old City Halls are just to the east as is the immense VCU Medical Center.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
wow, that new building looks stunning. i'm glad to see that parts of the old buildings on that block are being incorporating, so it's not a total loss.

-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts