SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied from material which I published in tinkle.miestai.net (SSC was down on Friday) - this information in turn is taken from Latvian architects portal www.a4d.lv/4d . I saw in Riga thread that @Artis already has mentioned it!
- - -
There were carefully selected 11 architects who could propose draft designs for Accoustic Concerthall in Riga, on narrow peninsula in front of Old Riga. When looking from Old Riga, Concert hall would be in front of the showroom of modern architecture - Kipsala and Kliversala highrise districts. This building would be extremely important part of architecture showroom called "Riga".

On last Friday tender ended, winner has been selected - Latvian "Silis, Zabers & Klava"!

Renderings of entries from www.a4d.lv:

"Udensroze" (Waterlily) by Behnish Arhictekts (Germany):

"Sound profile" by "Arhitektonika" (Latvia):

"Kur mūzika savijas ar pilsētu" by Vents Didrihsons (Latvia):

"Kulturas vertikale" by Z4 / Standardsituation / B+G Ingenieure (Latvia, Germany)

"KVJH/Latvian songbird" by CoopHimmelb(l)au (Austria)

"Grand Veranda" by Arhis (Latvia)

"Fenikss" by Snohetta (Norway)

"ABD.LV" by "Sarma&Norde" (Latvia)

"351348" by Kada Wittfeld Architektur (Germany)

Second prize - "Keynote" by Henning Larsens Tegnestue (Denmark)

And the winner is... "Lineamentum" by Silis, Zabers & Klava (Latvia)!
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More renderings of the winning design, again from www.a4d.lv :

View from Vanšu bridge (viewpoint higher than Vanšu bridge)

From Hansabanka

From Daugava river

Interiors

Architects have included part of the approved and planned projects of Kipsala and Kliversala in the background. I see that two "Akropolis" 30-floorers and 24-floor Balasta dambis 11 are missing at least. Anyway - now you can start feeling what our main highrise district will look like

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is good about the winning design (my own thoughts) -
It is not massive, it visually divides the enormous concert hall in smaller entities. Huge building in front of Old Riga and in front of playful small buildings planned in Kliversala - it would look not balanced.
Winning design is unique, it might resemble some works of Gehry but still is very much in ots own. It is not too expressive and does not buy with cheap, sweet looking forms (like songbird) but it is not boring - as you approach it or walk by, it constantly changes and is not boring.

I know, many of you would have different opinion.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I really like the Austrian one as well. That really would have been a landmark building.

The winner does probably fit in well if you look at the broader skyline of a developing Riga.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Hybrid 87 said:
Looks nice, but my favorite is this one ... don't know why, but it is
Agree. I like this one above the best. My second favourite is this one ....

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Some more renderings of the winner:

They (Silis, Zabers & Klava) analysed the concert halls around the world built lately and decided:
- this is place for intellectual music - thus they don't want shiny "bubble" but they don't want to create something too rationalistic and boring either. It had to be intellectual, original architecture which grows on you step by step.
- most complicated thing - access to this place. They propose new bridge from Kliversala with loop under the buildings. For technical purposes there is one more loop under the main hall.
- building should not close the view on Old City from Kliversala - but it should not close the view to Kliversala either. It should not contradict with both - historical and modern architecture - it should complement both.
- shiny black color is choosen because it creates good, elated media for intellectual music. Music here (in Riga) is matter of cult - and this building should be main temple of this cult.

That's why the shiny, curved and pompous proposals were not selected - they can be good in place where is not that much valuable architecture and something selfish can be located.

Other good things about the selected project:
- it has divided three concert halls separately and all the other buildings are separated from halls. Thus - musical and arts life can be very intense here.
- from every building there would be great views around.
- it is low on the side of Old Riga (12 m) and higher on Kliversala side (30 m).

One more look at our planned showroom of modern architecture in Pardaugava:

View from Old City:

Three concert halls:

Crosssection - offices for different music related people working in this complex.

Plans and transportation schemes

·
Explorer
571 Posts
was looking at these renderings, that show other projects planned in Kipsala, and remembered, that while coming back from airport few days ago, I saw pretty large prepared site (they have removed buildings/trees, and started to dig the hole) for a building near Zunda kanals; now looking at these pictures I can say, that the site was prepared for Vertikala pasaule towers.. I'm happy that at last this project is real not just on papers :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts