SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread tries to show the main construction activities in Riga in April 2005. Of course, it does not show all... by far not. But I think that I managed to fix the main things going on here.
- - - -
Old City and Centre
Moratorium on construction activities in the central part of Riga has ended and it feels like some sluice gate has been opened – lots of construction activities in centre. Old City has got quite a lot of construction as well, especially in the southern part. Southern part of Old Riga still looks very very bad – it is nearly abandoned. But in few years it should change.
New 7-floor hotel constructed on 13 Janvara Street. All the area around it is prepared for construction as well, pile driving on-going.

There is left only the outer wall of the abandoned buildings – it will become part of new buildings soon.

Other side of these buildings – Kaleju Street. Almost totally abandoned street in Old City. Finally it will change to the best!

Heimana nams next to St. Peters church – 6-floor apartment and office building. Now it looks bad... but the final design should be OK.

Jauna Vecpilseta construction site – everything just starting. Some days ago there arrived the first pile driver. This will be large 6-floor quartal with more than 10 buildings, interesting architecture. They made new street. Notice the abandoned buildings in the background.

Central Department store has removed the Soviet time buildings in the heart of Old Riga. Unusual to see that enormous „hole” here – but soon there will come new building.

On Tirgonu Street some 5 newly built houses are nearly finished. These are built to resemble medieval style.

Hotel Reval Latvia extension – demolition still on-going. A bit unusual to see the hotel highrise from this side in full height.

„Holes” of the German and Soviet bombardment are healed in the Centre of Riga – the hollow places are filled with new buildings. Currently some 15 are built in the central part of the city, a lot more projects in preparation. Here two minimalism style office buildings on Terbatas Street. One finished, another – half built.

Centra nams – construction cranes have been removed, construction goes on. I personally like the building.

Complex preparations for Citadele office centre next to Ministry of Agriculture – car parking lot should be removed first. They built new rised entrance for cars. In the background – Centra nams:

Kliversala –apartment building with 120 apartments built instead of Soviet office building. This is the first development in the planned 180 mio EUR Kliversala district.

Hotel Islande will have 10 floors – it will use unfinished Soviet time buildings in central part of Kipsala. Now they are building underground part around the buildings.

And finally – Elizabetes Street with extremely ornate buildings, nearly all renovated... you just see the construction crane in the far end – there is renovated beautiful hotel building. But renovations will come in another thread some other time.

- - - -
Airport district!!!
To my mind – the largest and most ambitious construction area in Riga today!
On the way to the airport we pass Panorama Plaza construction site... but you will see it a little later.
Car trade centres were actively built some 6 years ago here. But now there is second wave – are built enormous car trade centers with 3 – 6 floors. This one is built for Mitsubishi:

Trade center „Spice” is extended. It will exceed 50 000 m2 and thus it will be among 5 largest trade centers in Riga:

Office complex „Baltais vejs” will be built in elegant minimalism style. Around it there have been built some 20 lowrise office buildings in elegant minimalism style. I should bring pictures from this district one day:

Road from the airport to Riga – just reconstructed.

Northern terminal u/c in the airport. In autumn Riga should be ready to accept several million passengers per year.

Airport owns lots of land around. They have made detailed plan for development, parceled the land, built some streets and now the real development starts:

New artificial lake – element of future landscape:

There have been laid routes for some 25 future streets, even the sign is there... Just the street should be built

Latvian mail builds large mail sorting centre next to the airport.

Looking over the empty fields towards the sorting centre – soon everything should be covered with buildings here:

- - - -
to be continued

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Different other buildings around the city

Dienvidu tilts – Southern bridge over Daugava river. This enormous >200 mio EUR investment may stop at the second half of this year... if City Council would be stupid enough.

Go Planet entertainment centre goes on. They still do not say – what would be inside but promise something unique.

Ice hockey hall in Imanta. First part of large scale development around Imanta railway station, which, I suppose, will include at least one office highrise.

Lucavsala entrance – street under reconstruction and trade centre built in Lucavsala. I am impatiently waiting for 26-floorer, which has to come up further along the street.

Riga Plaza mall – construction site still under preparation.

New Ice hockey hall just started next to Sports School on Brivibas Street:

- - - -

Skanste street area
Something happening here too. First picture gives to you the impression – how large is Skanstes Street area. It is VERY large. The street itself still looks quite sad. In future it should be lined with highrises in both sides.

Police Olympic hall behind Arena Riga is nearly completed. New street is built towards it. I still do not get why police needs that enormous structure – but I hope it will have good use.

Arena Riga is built fast now.

Area next to Arena Riga is cleared of the „gardens” and is prepared for construction. Here would be three 20+ floor buildings. Sorry for the dirty windshield of my car.

Opposite side of the street – „gardens” still there. They look damn ugly.

- - - - -
to be continued

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Highrise apartments – got nearly all, except one

Anninmuizas Street 7 – 15 floors, 71 apartment. Could be the only project in Riga with height of the ceiling - only 2,7 m...

YIT quartal – two 14-floor buildings and one 6-floor building on Brivibas Street, 240 apartments. As most of the projects – just started.

Vestas stari – five 17-floor buildings, 550 apartments in total. Two u/c now. It is interesting to compare that nowadays 17-floor building is considerably higher than nearby 17-floor building from 1980ies.

Solaris – 320 new apartments in two 22-floor (technically – 25 floors) apartments in Imanta district. They are building 17-th floor now.

Panorama Plaza – this is megacomplex by Riga standards. Two 30-floor and two 25-floor apartment buildings with 636 apartments, large underground and above-ground complex of office and entertainment buildings. Whole area went mad with construction over the last winter, now they are building underground part.

Sales office has been built in front of the building plot:

Kokneses prospekts near Mezaparks – new 13 floor building coming up! I did not know that one. In this area, a bit to the centrum planned residential highrises, I saw that the area is already under preparation.

Duntes ozoli – 17 floor apartment building in beautiful place.

Duntes Street still looks rather sad.. but the construction boom here is starting. Other things around Duntes Street:
Dunte Maritime Office centre – the front part will be slanted over the street. It will have 7 or 8 floors, if I remember correctly:

Enormous Trade center built along Duntes Street:

Construction of larger business area with two ice hockey halls and curling hall expected here soon.
- - - -

Lowrise apartments
This part shows commieblock-style apartments u/c around the city. Not damn interesting, to my mind, have selected just few:

Dignajas Street – 87 apartments. Just started

Dienvidu pakavs nearby – 148 apartments, in general this new district will have more than 700 apartments, there would be one 12-floor building as well.
First stage:

Viesturdarza nami – 304 apartments, expensive project with four 7-floor buildings just next to Centrum. Could not go nearer – they still have to build new streets.

Eksporta Street – this project is interesting because they rebuild Stalinist time building not far from the center. A bit sad – authentic buildings of this style become rare here... But I will not go further inside Centre now...

Meza ciems – new quartal with 20 new houses and 530 apartments coming up next to Mezciems commieblock district. The height will not exceed 4 floors.

Ground prepared for new buildings:

New commieblock in Ziepniekkalns, Ozolciema Street. To my mind this district is very sad... the new building improves it.

Plavnieku Street – new 10-floor apartment building in Plavnieki district. Of all commieblock districts in Riga this place looks at worst. Am glad that somebody invests here – this gives hope for future.

Vienibas nami – in rendering it looks just sad. But reality looked much better – developer is building whole network of streets and started some landscaping.

Mezaparka varti – should be highrise, it has got 11 habitable floors with 3 m high ceiling. In reality looks much better than in the rendering.

When lots of commieblocks are built... the people need something more. Here – fresh built church in Plavnieki.

And here – one lane Deglava street turned into street with separate lines:

Ufff... that was much. You should be glad, that I did not include more :)

·
mostly at Talo and SSP
595 Posts
All done in the usual Gatis style, straight to the point quality stuff. I don't want to even imagine how long this must've taken you to put together, going around the city and taking photos.

Call this Disney World style you may, but I have nothing against creating new buildings in old style if it fits or compliments the surrounding area.
http://img67.echo.cx/img67/347/tirgonuiela14apr051lh.jpg

PS
I'm terribly sorry to hear what happened to your dog friend, Dana. :( Take care man, faith manages.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Great job Gatis, i never saw such a big construction update :) And it's great that so many new construction is taking place in Riga.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Thanks for this big update Gatis. :eek:kay: Most of projects are nice, my favourite project is Dienvidu tilts (Dienvidu bridge) - because I like bridges and constructions of such objects are not so frequent, also construction process itself is usually very interesting.

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
Panorama Plaza reminds me these new residentials in Vauxhall which I pass every time going to Central London :)

Can't decide if I like them or not. Now they've got some style although look very "Asian". But remove the top part and they will look like ordinary commieblocks :|

·
Friend
144 Posts
Gatis said:
Arena Riga is built fast now.
Will the next BBL finals be played in Arena Riga ? Can you add some renders ?

·
User
719 Posts
Really much is going on there, it`s good and thanks for this thread. To be honest I must say that when I was there about 5 years ago, then city border areas looked quite sad and so progress is necessary. Solaris and Panorama Plaza buildings look nice, city needs more such buildings.

·
Banned
503 Posts

OMG these houses are new? :eek: I can't believe someone would approve something like that! Sorry but imho this is kitch and Dysneyland architecture at its best...... :puke:

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, the main problem for blimey could be - these buildings are not in Vilnius ;) Although Vilnius is building replicas too - and this is great to my mind.

Facades of those buildings are exact replicas of former buildings which stood here before WWII. Inside is modern. And they are not 100% newly built - there was something - fundament, part of first floor etc. These buildings are not built as tourism attraction but they do not ruin the atmosphere in this historical part of city.
Btw. would glass and concrete boxes in Old City be something more "progressive"? I have not seen successful examples so far

·
Banned
503 Posts
@gatis: If those houses were rebuilt then i take my words back. In your first post you said that they were newly built to resemble medieval style, not rebuilt, so i got a bit confused.
I've nothing against rebuilding old buildings, i'm actually very pro-that. I do, however, think that building (not rebuilding) new buildings in a medieval style is kitch and it shouldnt be done (unless in Moscow, where its popular).

·
Friend
144 Posts
^^^ I would love smth like that in Vilnius (maybe in Traku street) ! Looks really great !

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, I understood. :) Happily Riga is not making low-quality postmodern architecture anymore - may be just some quick-rich people manage to push such shit through in suburbs.
Construction of pre-war replicas is coming to an end too - architects have criticised this so much that most likely this would be done only in smaller towns around Latvia - but not in metropolitan areas. Southern part of Old Riga, f.e. will have only modern architecture. I do not know whether this is good - let's see, what will come out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts