SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, city lovers!
I think it's time to enjoy photos in new, 21st Century quality. Quality which can give you a sense of presence. Presence in Northern European capital city Riga. Riga is known for it's beautiful architecture - you'll see it here in 1500x1000 size pictures. Pictures will sometimes show you also some other stunning parts of Latvia.
This is more like an experiment because I really don't know how many people will be able to enjoy this thread. If there won't be much interest and demand for such photos then I'll wont bother you with them anymore.

1. This is view across part of Riga from St Peter's church in lovely summer day. The closest houses belongs to Old Town, while farther you see Riga's centre area and very far in the background you can notice Soviet time commieblock areas.

2. House of Blackheads - a building in Old Town which is one of the major tourist attractions. It is complete reconstruction of the authentic building which was destroyed in World War 2.

3. Snowfall right in your face... in another one of must-see places in Riga - Alberta street. It is heaven of the famous Riga's Art Nouveau.

4. Riga's natural feature is really wide river Daugava (500-600 m) flowing right through the city centre. If there is a river, then of course, you need bridges too and Riga's Railway bridge after the realised ilumination project couple of years ago looks really stunning at night. So stunning, that pictures can't show it, even in HD version it's just a glimpse of how it looks in reality.

5. Only couple of hundred meters away from Railway bridge, in architectonical harmony with it, there stands Riga's Central Market pavillions - truly unique building. They were built from 1st World War zeppelin hangars constructions and is home to one of the largest marketplaces in Europe. In total there are 5 hangars (one for meat, one for bread, one for dairy products, one for fruits and vegetables and one for fishes) - here you see 4 of them.

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,045 Posts
Can we have more, please. :)

·
Illustrator
6,675 Posts
No problem to load them here, really great photos! I would really like to see more HD photos. What is the definition of a HD photo, is it the camera technique or the resolution that defines it?

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Ļoti labi !

·
8,851 Posts
MOAR!!!

Well hidden thread,lucky that I discovered it now :) I see that you use your own site for storing photos now. Works flawlessly,instant page loading :eek:kay: Not that crappy flickr,tinypic,imageshack etc. style 'click on a photo thread and then go make yourself a cup of coffee before you can see pics' kind of crap.

·
Banned
7,713 Posts
wow, that was a trip. thanks!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys. I will add some more HD ones from Riga.

What is the definition of a HD photo, is it the camera technique or the resolution that defines it?
Well, HD resolution is 1920x1080 px. I make these pics 1500x1000 - to give them full appearance on HD display because there is always some other things taking space - windows taskbar, internet browser taskbars...

I see that you use your own site for storing photos now. Works flawlessly,instant page loading :eek:kay: Not that crappy flickr,tinypic,imageshack etc. style 'click on a photo thread and then go make yourself a cup of coffee before you can see pics' kind of crap.
:lol: yes, I also gave up with that Imageshack. It turned shamelessly slow last time. I made a wordpress powered blog and parked on my domain, and thus also get an access to really comfortable admin mode for uploading pics, copying their addresses and sharing them.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This time a bit urban views.

6. Barona street in it's lively essence. This street with some grand and interesting architecture goes about 2km from Old Town through 19th Century quarters. Btw, can you find a lion in this pic? ;)

7. Another always lively place is Kaļķu street and the Liberty monument square, the place where Old Town meets Boulevard Ring.

8. The same place viewed from other side. Hot and sunny summer day.

9. Brīvības street - even longer than Barona. It goes about 3km through centre and then continues with historical and then less and less historical architecture in total 12 km length.
Btw, what Agent Smith is doing here (in the right lower part the man in black suit with black sunglasses)? Oh, right, he's catching Neo who last year took actions in Latvia.

10. Radisson Blue Latvia hotel highrise and the advertisement of department store "Centrs", placed exactly opposite to recently opened another department store "Galleria Riga".

11. 13th January street is southern borderline of historical centre, on it's right side there are located Citadele multihall cinema, Stockmann shopping centre, and farther (where the clock tower is visible) - Riga central station.

·
Bike It!
22,248 Posts
yes, I also gave up with that Imageshack. It turned shamelessly slow last time. I made a wordpress powered blog and parked on my domain, and thus also get an access to really comfortable admin mode for uploading pics, copying their addresses and sharing them.
Well, the result is very good. Just visited your site and it's better than the Riga-tourist site... ;)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

·
15,844 Posts
Vecais Sakarnis as always - the BEST. No any other words!!! Perfect job man! Thank you.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Few skyline shots from my window last evening. Taken from Purvciems district with apartment and industrial areas in forefront, after them historical centre with some of it's church spires.

Btw, can you believe the church to the left side is actually per some 3-4 km closer than the other two? The other ones are in Old Town, but the first one is located in south-eastern corner of centre.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, guys!

Ok, here comes next HD quality pictures of Riga.

14. One of the famous Alberta street buildings. Alberta street is one of main usual attractions for tourists in Riga.

In weekend I started to play with my new camera and took some photo tours around south-eastern part of Riga centre.

15. The common architecture of Riga centre (and also historical suburbs), of course, mostly aren't as ornated and posh as Alberta and surrounding streets buildings, their beauty is more subtle and sophisticated.

17. A little boy with his scateboard in the middle of Avotu street in Saturday's evening. South-eastern part of Riga centre is a very interesting place to get the real sense of living in Riga historical centre. You can observe common people lifes because Grīziņkalns is not the most prestige area, it's rather proletarian. And most of other places in Riga centre are mainly for working not living.

And yes, shabby and neglected buildings - that's a common reality in Riga. Many houses and places screams for renovation. But it adds some atmosphere too.

18. This is quite a symbolic building - half renovated, half neglected. Just like Riga itself.

19. Deglava street - one of the main roads connecting Riga centre with it's suburbs. Riga centre is surrounded by a railway ring, that's why these connecting roads goes over sky bridges and make some elevated artificial "hill" perspectives in city, otherwise flat as table.

20. Here you get when drive on that street some 2 km - the core of Purvciems commieblock suburb. In this place, several of "largest in Riga" things are located - one of highest apartment buildings in Riga, one of largest public screens in Riga, and also one of largest Maxima supermarkets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts