Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love Ice
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt that a guy from Sydney is going to Nothern Europe to visit beaches;)
Well. The stereotype about Northern Countries is well known to readers of this. Though have a good look at the pictures below and three arguments supporting why Riga beaches are must visit place in Northern Europe:
- Riga Gulf has water temperatures that are well good for swimming. Now it is 20-22 Celsius and will get higher in July. That makes it warmer than all western European coastline temperatures (Portugal, Spain, UK).

- Riga beaches are not affected by tidal activities. That makes them much more convenient than UK coastline and Northern French beaches. The Baltic Sea is pretty shalow and doesn't get deep that quickly - I can walk in few hundred meters before the water gets to my chin.
- Riga beaches are sandy. That means it easy to walk along the cost line and get to the beach. You can drive a car along the shore and in the water. It is no allowed though but illustrates how convenient are they.

·
Registered
15,530 Posts
^^
Yeah that's a nice beach, surely a great attraction for a Northern European city, it would be fun to stroll there if you happen to visit Riga in the summer and whatever.
But frankly speaking, this has nothing to do with Southern European seashore. ;)

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Southern Europe beaches is one thing - Latvian beches another - that's sure.

Have visited many Mediterranean and Black sea beaches - they are a lot more scenic and diverse, sealife is interesting. But on the bad side - water and beaches too often are dirty, too many places are crowded. In summertime weather is too hot and water in the sea - too warm for relaxing. But this problem can be easily solved by coming in autumn or spring.

Here - some more pics of Jurmala City - Riga beach resort. This is the most crowded beach in Latvia - 30 km long sandstrip of show-off. I myself love other beaches in Latvia a lot more.

This is Jurmala around 1900:

Around 1930:

Looking north-west - to Riga:

Jurmala City - some 24 km from Riga Centre:

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
The Baltic Sea is pretty shalow and doesn't get deep that quickly - I can walk in few hundred meters before the water gets to my chin.
The baltic sea sucks :( It's more or less dead. The little wildlife that still excists will soon be gone as well. Thank god we got the West Coast!

·
Iceberg
239 Posts
Gatis and Nomels, very nice photos. BTW, I'm just curious, why are those horse carriages things in water in 1900 photo?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts