Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work is about to start on the Western Ring Road (from Ngong Road to Westlands Roundabout), funded by the Japanese government.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to actually finalize the entire Ring Road as a dual carriage highway encircling the city centre?

As far as I know, road reserves were set aside for 2 ring roads (inner and outer ring) around Nairobi in the 1963 city plan. Does anyone have the maps of that city plan, with the trajectory of the ring roads?

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
Work is about to start on the Western Ring Road (from Ngong Road to Westlands Roundabout), funded by the Japanese government.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to actually finalize the entire Ring Road as a dual carriage highway encircling the city centre?

As far as I know, road reserves were set aside for 2 ring roads (inner and outer ring) around Nairobi in the 1963 city plan. Does anyone have the maps of that city plan, with the trajectory of the ring roads?
I saw the map and the plan on one of the local dailies a few months ago,let me see if can get it online.

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
Nairobi — A new road to be constructed in Nairobi is expected to reduce the time it takes commuters to reach their places of work by easing traffic flow around the city.

The road referred to as the missing link will connect Kileleshwa Police Station to Westlands roundabout, Ole Dume Road and James Gichuru Road to Ngong Road.

To help achieve this, the Japanese Government has granted Kenya Sh31.5 million for the construction of the Nairobi Western Ring Road.The project, to be done in 18 months beginning January next year, will be implemented in line with Japan's Grant Aid guidelines.

"We expect that this project will help in decongesting the Nairobi Metropolitan that is currently experiencing heavy traffic jam," said Finance minister Uhuru Kenyatta who signed the grant.

Traffic jams have become a culture in the capital city especially during rush hours.

It is estimated that this costs the economy billions of shilling annually in wasted man-hours.

Transport costs

"This project has an overall goal of reducing transport costs within Nairobi," said Japanese ambassador to Kenya Shigeo Iwatani.

Roads minister Franklin Bett said that about 1,000 people will be relocated from the construction sites.

I don't think there is space for a dual carriageway on this link.Too many demolitions will have to be made.

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts

Here you go,although this is not the best i could find.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I don't think there is space for a dual carriageway on this link.Too many demolitions will have to be made.
If demolitions have to be made, then most likely those structures were built on road reserves to begin with. And some roads like James Gichuru actually have enough space for a dual carriageway to be built. They might have to acquire land for an interchange where the road meets Ngong road which is also planned for expansion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone Im posting out of sheer desperation. I live on Manyani Road East right off Waiyaki Way at the Junction of James Gichuru Road. We just have been told that our plot and that of four of our neighbours are all on a Road Reserve. Apparently the whole thing was gazetted last year in March and that "people have been seen" behind us on our back wall facing Waiyaki Way measuring various things.
I cant tell you how devastated we are. I just cannot describe it. I am trying to establish what road reserve are we on? Is this the missing road that is meant to link James Gichuru to Ngong?
I would really really appreciate hearing back from anyone on this. We really are desperate to get some kind of clarity on whats going on. The entire neighbourhood is in a panic. We have all been here for more than twenty years. We just dont know what to do!

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
Hi Everyone Im posting out of sheer desperation. I live on Manyani Road East right off Waiyaki Way at the Junction of James Gichuru Road. We just have been told that our plot and that of four of our neighbours are all on a Road Reserve. Apparently the whole thing was gazetted last year in March and that "people have been seen" behind us on our back wall facing Waiyaki Way measuring various things.
I cant tell you how devastated we are. I just cannot describe it. I am trying to establish what road reserve are we on? Is this the missing road that is meant to link James Gichuru to Ngong?
I would really really appreciate hearing back from anyone on this. We really are desperate to get some kind of clarity on whats going on. The entire neighbourhood is in a panic. We have all been here for more than twenty years. We just dont know what to do!
Hi,i am very sorry for your predicament.This is all a result of bad planning and unclear zoning on the part of previous regimes.Could you clarify whether this is where your house is located.?Click on the link below.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?clien...+road+james+gichuru&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pole sana about that, and all the best. Most likely, they are just building a flyover across Wayaki for the extension of James Gichuru, so if you're lucky, you will go clear.

From what I've heard, they are planning to extend James Gichuru all the way up to Gigiri, to join the Northern Bypass. If you look on Google Maps, you will see very clearly that there's a road reserve continuing on the other side of Wayaki Way.

I think this is what the Kenya Urban Roads Authority refers to as the "link road between Wayaki Way and the Northern Bypass". If you look at the not-so-detailed maps, it seems to match pretty well with that road reserve.

·
美国: Rep KE
3,602 Posts
Mandina It will be prudent if you check the Gazette notice from the relevant Ministry or NCC to confirm the zoned areas to be affected unless they have sent you guyz a vacation notice. However still the rule of law has to prevail. Hopefully everything goes well and you guyz are not adversly affected.

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
@ Mandina, If you take a closer look at the Map of the planned Ring Road above, the Purple line 15a, there will be a road constructed to link Waiyaki way to Limuru Road.This Road will start somewhere around where James Gichuru road meets waiyaki way.there will probably be a flyover around that junction.I don't see how this affects your house because not soo much space is needed for a flyover,unless your house is smack right next to the james gichuru/waiyaki way junction. From the plans above,i do not see any intended road constructions on your side of Waiyaki Way i.e James Gichuru.Unless plans have changed.

I think you should get in touch with someone at Kenya urban authorities a.s.a.p for clarification.

Kenya Urban Roads Authority
IKM Place, 5th Ngong Avenue
P.O Box 41727 – 00100
Nairobi
Tel: 254- 020 -13844

Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mandina It will be prudent if you check the Gazette notice from the relevant Ministry or NCC to confirm the zoned areas to be affected unless they have sent you guyz a vacation notice. However still the rule of law has to prevail. Hopefully everything goes well and you guyz are not adversly affected.
Though am not affected i feel so bad the way they've been going about the whole thing.There's no rule of law in this since i've seen the minister on tv trashing court orders halting demolition on a house.And who gives permits to put up this homes yet they take your fees for building permits clearly showing its legally built yet they demolish with no regard for your loss and no compesation.No one is held to account.That is not rule of law especially for a minister sworn to obey,preserve,protect and defend the law.This is a bad sign there's no due process and i feel Mandina's concerns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone...
Im going to Commissioner of Lands today and will get back as soon as I have heard what is going on. Thank you so so so much though. I am so grateful to have heard from you. I really am.

·
美国: Rep KE
3,602 Posts

Though am not affected i feel so bad the way they've been going about the whole thing.There's no rule of law in this since i've seen the minister on tv trashing court orders halting demolition on a house.And who gives permits to put up this homes yet they take your fees for building permits clearly showing its legally built yet they demolish with no regard for your loss and no compesation.No one is held to account.That is not rule of law especially for a minister sworn to obey,preserve,protect and defend the law.This is a bad sign there's no due process and i feel Mandina's concerns.
Well, that's the impunity and the big man syndrome we need to stem -problem is that it's a historical precedent. I hope the new laws will slowly but surely rid us of these traits.

Hi Everyone...
Im going to Commissioner of Lands today and will get back as soon as I have heard what is going on. Thank you so so so much though. I am so grateful to have heard from you. I really am.
Your very welcome.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Going past abc place i think i saw a cleared section opposite the muthangari junction plus a signpost with the K.U.R.A logos. Probably the contract either for an interchange there or construction of missing link on the other side of Muthangari has already been signed with works commencing soon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Going past abc place i think i saw a cleared section opposite the muthangari junction plus a signpost with the K.U.R.A logos. Probably the contract either for an interchange there or construction of missing link on the other side of Muthangari has already been signed with works commencing soon.

I think the works have already commenced, further down most areas have been cleared.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Have an idea whether that junction will be grid separated?

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Anybody having hopes of a decent road over here needs to take a closer look. I already have doubts the ability of tha contractor.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Why?is the work shoddy?
The only thing ave ever seen there is a grader and in any case site preparation is always a good pointer to the scope of works.
They have only scratched then levelled with a very thin layer of murram, two weeks now no activity.ave become pessimistic.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts