SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
I stand corrected. Today's Ekathemerini stated the price of the bridge was about 110 Million dollars. At the rate it's being used, it'll be paid off in 4-5 years! Thats an amazingly short payoff period. After that it's all gravy for the Bridge Authority. It will add $ 40/50 Million dollars in revenues yearly.

·
oemoemenemoe
1,496 Posts
Wow, 110 Million dollars is quite cheap for a bridge of that size. In Holland we have the Erasmus bridge, which simply spans a river, and it cost 365 million guilders, around 170 million dollars. Its arguably a better design, but definitely not as cheap as this bridge. Nice work Greece :cheers:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Landos said:
I stand corrected. Today's Ekathemerini stated the price of the bridge was about 110 Million dollars. At the rate it's being used, it'll be paid off in 4-5 years! Thats an amazingly short payoff period. After that it's all gravy for the Bridge Authority. It will add $ 40/50 Million dollars in revenues yearly.
actualy if kathimerini (in the english version) wrote that thats wrong or forgot a number because The total cost of the project, including financial expenses incurred during the construction period, amounts to about EURO 800 million
from THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE
gefyra
anyway I never read the english version from kathimerini as it is not up2date as the greek version

·
Banned
197 Posts
It seemed like an awful low price to me george, but I'm not up on bridge building costs so I accepted it at face value. I was thinking something more in the range of $ 300 Million for the bridge alone, then the surrounding infrastructure improvements would of course cost a fair amount more.

But, even assuming your figure of 800 million EURO is correct (this figure seems high), it would be paid off in less than 20 years. Thats still amazing. The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco took almost 50 years to break even-in a much more populace region. Kudos to the engineering/construction company for controlling costs so effectively.

By the way, I've heard one of the bridge stays was damaged in a suspicious fire. Anyone have news on that?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Bad news from Kathimerini website: Rio bridge to shut for days

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_100022_29/01/2005_52350

Rio bridge to shut for days
The new Rio-to-Antirio bridge in western Greece will be closed to traffic for much longer than first thought after a fire snapped one of its suspension cables on Thursday morning, sources told Kathimerini yesterday.

Initial estimates were that the bridge might reopen tomorrow, but sources say it will take at least 10 to 15 days to replace the damaged cable. The bridge has the world’s longest cable-stayed suspended deck at 2,256 meters.

There are fears that the bridge may remain closed for even longer if French engineers, from the firm responsible for its construction, discover that the fire was caused by a problem with the cable’s material or some kind of design fault. The bridge drastically shortened travel times between the Peloponnese and central Greece.

Initial assessments said that the 770-million-euro bridge caught fire after being struck by lightning. Other theories include the possibility that the blaze was sparked by wires rubbing together due to high winds or a short circuit in the electrical wires which run along the suspension cables.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Leaving Peloponnese going to Antirio...

·
Galactic Ruler
6,842 Posts
Yup I agree it's a stunning bridge, and one of the best i have seen. Great style right along its length with interesting a slightly unusual 4 split spidery pylons on a squat base. The deck looks long and elegant in a beautifully smooth arch. It's very graceful for such a long multi-pylon structure.

I don't like the way they have done the lighting. I think it could look better with different illumination, it's a pity there is not some way to highlight the cables a little more - rather than the emphasis only on the pylons. A whiter blue on top with an aqua underneath would would work better with the water setting, the colours they have chosen are a little intense.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
I Agree....more lighting emphasising cables....but i must admit when it first opened it loved the lighting....now you have pointed something out that has put me off

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Rion-Antirion Gefyra in Greece -longest cable stayed bridge in the world- has been labeled as best of whats new in 2004 in the engineering category by Popular Science Magazine

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Bridge now fully operational after repairs to cables completed

March 8 article from the Ekathimerini website:

RIO-ANTIRIO

Bridge now fully operational after repairs to cables completed

The Rio-Antirio bridge was fully operational again from 5 p.m. yesterday after repairs were completed to two of its suspension cables that were damaged in a fire at the end of January. A section of the bridge had been partially closed since the blaze, which is believed to have been caused by lightning.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/content.asp?aid=53813

·
Banned
197 Posts
What a beautiful bridge, especially at night! I hope the Bridge Authority stays on top of the lighting-replacing burnt out bulbs when necessary-so it will forever be as beautiful.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Some recent photos (March 2005)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Lightning caused January Rio bridge fire

From the Ekathimerini website:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_100026_01/04/2005_54688

Lightning caused Rio bridge fire

A freak bolt of lightening led to a fire breaking out on one of the Rio-to-Antirio bridge suspension cables, causing the 770-million-euro construction to close for five days at the end of January, experts said yesterday.

The unusual power of the lightning bolt and the subsequent blaze came together to create an incident the kind of which had never been recorded before on a bridge said Jean-Paul Teyssandier, president of the Gefyra consortium which operates the 2.25-kilometer bridge.

He said that lightning would normally be conducted by one of the rods located on each of the pylons. Experts are still examining the charred remains of the cable that caught fire, Teyssandier said, and this may result in the bridge’s lightning protection system being improved.

The bridge operators also took the opportunity to set out a new pricing scheme, to begin on Monday, which will see tolls for cars rising from 9.70 to 10 euros and from 1.50 to 1.60 euros for motorbikes. However, toll charges for trucks will range from between 15.50 and 35 euros as opposed to 15 to 44 euros.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Some photos from www.hellascams.gr

Castle of Rio

Part of the castle of Rio and some view of the bridge behind

·
Registered
985 Posts
Τον πρώτο χρόνο λειτουργίας συμπλήρωσε η γέφυρα Ρίου - Αντιρρίου

PatrasToday.gr (www.patrastoday.gr)
20:54 @ 12/8/2005

ΠΑΤΡΑ: Τον πρώτο χρόνο λειτουργίας της συμπλήρωσε την Παρασκευή, 12 Αυγούστου, η γέφυρα Ρίου - Αντιρρίου, η κατασκευή της οποίας δεν υλοποίησε μόνο ένα όραμα 100 και πλέον ετών για την χώρα, αλλά αποτέλεσε κι ένα τεχνικό επίτευγμα από τα λίγα στον κόσμο, ενώ " έσμιξε " τις ακτές του Ρίου και του Αντιρρίου, μετατρέποντας σε... " τρίλεπτη απόλαυση " την διαδρομή από την μία όχθη έως την άλλη για όλους τους διερχόμενους.

Τους διερχόμενους, που σύμφωνα με τα στοιχεία των υπευθύνων της εταιρίας " Γέφυρα ΑΕ " , φαίνεται πως ξεπέρασαν τα 4.000.000 διελεύσεις, αποδίδοντας παράλληλα το διόλου ευκαταφρόνητο ποσό των 40.000.000 ευρώ ( τζίρος της εταιρίας )

Short translation :

First year of operation completed for the Rio-Antirio bridge , on friday 12 August.
According to the statistics from the company who operates the whole project there were more then 4,000,000 passings over the bridge during this year.

·
Registered
985 Posts

41 - 60 of 144 Posts