SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of you will remember him, as he was one of the original forumers on Ozscrapers, but John Yakalis - otherwise better known as MuseumB or more recently Muse - has sadly passed away.

JayT passed on a message to me earlier tonight, expressing his sadness, and including this information about his passing:

"He was 49 and was found in his apartment by his mother and sister. I've been in contact with friends (Isoboy) down in Sydney and they don't know what happened but I'm pretty sure he hasn't been well for a long time."

I have known Muse on the forums for over 8 years, and meant him in real life once when we had a meet in Brisbane years ago. He was a really nice guy, and genuine good bloke, and I am quite shocked and saddened to hear of his death.

I wish his family and friends all the best during this time, and I'm sure they know what a well respected person he was, and hope he has a peaceful life wherever he maybe now.

RIP John Yakalis (aka MuseumBoy, aka MuseumB, aka Muse)
1959-2009

·
WARREN
8,176 Posts
Very sad to hear about bad things happening to any of our members, let alone death :(

RIP.

·
6,435 Posts
^^Well as soon as I saw the thread title I was worried straight away that someone had died. This is terrible news, my deepest sympathies to his family and friends. When DeSnor passed away recently Jan was suggesting creating a honorably members category where such accounts could be stored in memorium and Muse would definately deserve to be honored in such a way. Truely as OzScrapers legend, one of the orginal members who has been a part of SSC since the dawn of time.

RIP Muse

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
This is very sad.

I only met John a few times, and we did a few tours around Sydney and suburbs looking at all sorts of architecture, both old and new. He was someone I would have like to have known better as we got along so well as we had a lot in common.

We spent a day touring North Sydney and Chatswood last time I saw him, we had a great day despite the rain. I'd never seen North Sydney's streets, churches and hidden places and now I'll always think of him when I'm there.

He was found on June 15th as Brizzychris says. I don't think anyone knows the details.

J

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
ive been upset over hearing about john. i only saw him a few weeks ago at the model for a chat, which he always did every few months over past 8 years.
he was a great guy and always showed so much passion for skyscrapers.
Ive feared this would happen years ago when the forum started. After a few years a member is bound to pass away. It happed a ferw weeks ago in world forums , a much loved mod died.
anyway. we;ll all miss you john. rip.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Well that sucks.

Muse was a good bloke, like a lot of you I've met up with him while in Sydney. He was a very knowledgeable, nice bloke.

·
Registered
19,905 Posts
Been wondering why he has been so quiet of late; I have only met him through PM but found him a kind fellow with a nice turn of humour, so I'm sorry to hear this news.
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I got to know quite well personally. He had respect for everyone here. I loved his research on current projects and in particular past projects, often trekking to the State Library to scan the papers on microfilm and would print and post his findings here. It encouraged me to do the same, even though I lack the expertise that he did.

We met up occasionally visiting the city and parramatta to check out the latest work. In fact we agreed recently to go to Parramatta as we both hadnt gone there for more than 18 months but had to wait until I finished exams. Isoboy sometimes accompanied us.

The last time I chatted to him was June 6 on the phone and he wasnt very well during that conversation as he was throwing up. It wasnt the first time this had happened. A happened a few months ago and he had also been hospitalised.

I had left messages on his phone last week, unaware he had passed away.

A very tragic loss and will be sadly missed by us all here.

Rest in Peace.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Oh god I was only chatting with him on here a few days ago. That is terrible news! What happened I didn't realise he was sick :eek:(

RIP Muse

xx

·
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It makes you wonder, for those of us who don't speak to forumers outside of OzScrapers, if we died, would anyone know about it on here?

I'm glad that we have found out about this, because I think it's great that we can express our sadness and respect for people like John.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts