SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
3,820 Posts
I wonder what made them want a new 80,000 arena. The Stade de France has a reputation as being a great venue, yet France Rugby do not feel it's good enough? ???

This is piling more embarassment on Scotland Rugby - Wales has a new stadium (70,000), Ireland does too (50,000), now France wants one (80,000) - why can't Scotland keep up with the Jones's? :(

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
This is piling more embarassment on Scotland Rugby - Wales has a new stadium (70,000), Ireland does too (50,000), now France wants one (80,000) - why can't Scotland keep up with the Jones's? :(
^^

???

Murrayfield holds just over 67,000, what is your point?

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
I wonder what made them want a new 80,000 arena. The Stade de France has a reputation as being a great venue, yet France Rugby do not feel it's good enough? ???

The stadium with best reputation amongst rugby fans it's Marseille because close proximity with players.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i think this is a good idea personally. The Rfu makes a huge amount of money because they own twickenham and make all the profit out say 6-7 sell out internationals, plus other games and concerts etc all this money can then get funded back into grass roots devolpment.

can't wait to see some first design pics. isn't 600 million cheap for a ground that size?

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
i think this is a good idea personally. The Rfu makes a huge amount of money because they own twickenham and make all the profit out say 6-7 sell out internationals, plus other games and concerts etc all this money can then get funded back into grass roots devolpment.

can't wait to see some first design pics. isn't 600 million cheap for a ground that size?
For sure since 2004 it's easier to have cheap workers :D

·
Registered
708 Posts
is their any pics of this ground at all? and will it be just the french national team ground or will stade move their as well.

i know they play some of the bigger games at the stade de france

·
3,820 Posts

·
sucks
2,261 Posts

Scotland already has an offensively large stadium that's barely ever used, let alone filled. The fact that France wants the same thing should evoke disgust, not envy.

At least Wales and Ireland share with soccer.

·
Simple User
315 Posts
is their any pics of this ground at all? and will it be just the french national team ground or will stade move their as well.

i know they play some of the bigger games at the stade de france
^^ No pics yet. The french federation only announced yesterday that they plans to build a new ground. There are still many details to settle, the location (apparently near Paris), the definition of technical specifications, and the most important, the financial (600 millions, it looks so much!!!).
Le calendrier fixe à fin 2011 la décision de lancer la construction, à 2012 le lancement du concours d'attribution de la conception et de la construction, à 2013 le dépôt du permis de construire. Le chantier prendrait trois ans, de 2014 à 2016, avec pour objectif une inauguration en 2017.
Secondly, you have to know that this project looks very ambitious. The FFR wants this stadium to be used not only for rugby games, but for concerts and other events too.
"Nous voulons bâtir un stade, une agora, une enceinte sportive, culturelle et artistique pour l'ensemble du sport français", a dit Pierre Camou.

Serge Blanco a précisé que selon les premières études, le seuil de rentabilité se situerait autour de 17 à 20 manifestations par an, matches de rugby ou autres.
After all, it would be a Stade de France-bis, and this doesn't like so much the Stade de France Consortium...

·
Registered
708 Posts
just i thought. imo why i they building the stadium in paris where the hot bed of french rugby is down the south except for stade francias.

only 2 out of 5 top french citys by population are down south and marsielle already has a large stadium maybe building in toulouse would be good i have been to a couple of cities down the south of france and they all seen rugby mad.

or maybe the french could become a nomadic team and play games all over france and not have a home, that would be good cause every six nations game would be a new experience for the visiting team

·
Registered
13,742 Posts
No! paris is the capital! and in sport it is the capital too

There already be 5 stadiums for football , rugby and athletism
-future Arena 92 for rugby near la defense
-extension for rolland garros tennis

Paris is the centre and i prefer go see a concert in paris than anywhere in beautiful france! :)

Here we 're 1 hour from paris by TGV! Toulouse is far

·
Simple User
315 Posts
Well, although the majority of the Top 14 clubs are situated in the south of France (there are only 2 clubs in the north, the Stade Francais and the Racing Metro since 2 years), I think it's better than this stadium is built in Paris. Because the french team has always played in Paris since 100 years (Colombes, Parc des Princes and then Stade de France), and this has never bothered anyone, even the supporters from the south of France.
Moreover, near Paris there is already the international airport and the national rugby center in Marcoussis.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Does Paris really need another huge stadium?

I thought rugby was popular down south, so would Marseille have been a better option?

And Scotland doesn't need a new stadium, Murrayfield bleeds money as is, as minor a team as Queens Park may be, at least they make sure Hampden gets use.

·
Simple User
315 Posts
^^ You always have to push your words to the extreme. Of course, the city is really passionated by the local football team, the Olympique de Marseille. But I don't think they don't care about rugby, just look the rugby games organised in the Vélodrome. When the french team play there, it's always a popular succes. And don't forget that there is a real rugby culture in the region with the RC Toulon.

@koolio: The rugby is very popular in France, and more since the world cup organised in 2007. The french team brings regularly 80,000 people in Stade de France.

1 - 20 of 296 Posts