SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just saw this. Not sure who was talking about it but I have heard rumblings about this for about a month or two. Looking forward to see what will be going up.

·
Yonge and Eglinton-Midtwn
251 Posts
So is the ritz carleton just a higher end version of a marriot hotel? Meaning is it just higher star rating or something?

This is exciting news though still...

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
:runaway:

The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C., of Chevy Chase, MD. and Graywood Developments Ltd. of Toronto announced they will build a 53-story luxury hotel and condominium residence in downtown Toronto. The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto and The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto will be a $300 million development located on the south side of Wellington Street, between Simcoe and John Streets. Construction is scheduled to start in 2006 and be completed in 2009.
(4/11/05)

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
"So is the ritz carleton just a higher end version of a marriot hotel?"

Is the Four Seasons Toronto an upscale version of the Delta Chelsea? I don't think so even if the Four Season is the parent company of Delta Hotels & Resorts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Very nice! Finally something a little out of the ordinary.

Good to see that parking lot get filled too. I wonder if it will occupy the entire lot or just a portion of it.

Why does the Star always turn to Harry for comentary on these sort of things?

Ritz tries again in Toronto
Some say luxury field overcrowded

Plan comes after five-year hiatus

TONY WONG
BUSINESS REPORTER

It has been five years since Marriott International Inc., parent company of the plush Ritz-Carlton chain, first announced plans to open hotel and condominium residences in Toronto's business district.

Today, Marriott is expected to announce at a news conference at Roy Thomson Hall that, after a controversial hiatus, the Ritz-Carlton flag will finally fly in Toronto.

But can the city support yet another high-end condominium and hotel development?

The new Ritz would be on what is now a parking lot at the southwest corner of Simcoe and Wellington Sts., near Roy Thomson Hall.

The project would provide major competition for a city crowded with luxury new projects, such as the Trump International Hotel & Tower on Bay St. and the Sapphire Tower on Richmond St., as well as for established hotels such as the Four Seasons and the Park Hyatt.

"I think there is a big question mark as to whether there is room for both the Ritz and a Trump hotel," said Harry Stinson, the developer of the Sapphire Tower, which is aiming to be the tallest residential condo in the city.

"And I think other high-end hotels in the city should be worried."

When Ritz-Carlton first announced it would break ground in Toronto, it was with New York developer Donald Trump as a partner. That soon fizzled after the Toronto Star revealed that one of the original partners on the project had been convicted of bankruptcy fraud and embezzlement in the United States and had fled to Canada. Ritz-Carlton backed out. The project is now going ahead as a Trump hotel.

Since then, Marriott has been looking for a spot in the city to plant the corporate flag to compete against the Four Seasons, which some consider the best hotel in the city.

Toronto Mayor David Miller is expected to attend the news conference today, along with executives from builder Graywood Developments Inc. and from Marriott.

So far the competition has been gracious.

"We think it's great," said Barry Landsberg, spokesperson for the Trump Tower. "Anything that raises the profile of Toronto internationally will be good for business."

Landsberg said he believes the Ritz won't affect hotel-unit sales at the Trump Tower.

"We are doing extremely well already."

As of March, Landsberg said, the Trump Tower had achieved more than $100 million in sales, and ground breaking is likely to be moved up to this December from spring of 2006.

Even developer Stinson said that the Ritz will be good for the city.

"They have a great site, and this time around they have credible players. This is a project that will happen. They will raise the standards."

Additional articles by Tony Wong

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lovely news. Great design.

How tall do you think it will be? Around 185 meters?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
here is the rendering, it will be on the south side of Wellington, between Simcoe and John, near the cbc building, 53 storeys:

·
Registered
378 Posts
hmmmm... back in the fall I had heard 60 stories for that site with the Ritz.... but maybe with tall floor heights and that pointy roof top element it could still be in the 650 - 700 foot range.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Looks pretty cool from that angle as well.

I'm a little confused on the excact position of this tower though. I thought the actual corner of Simcoe & Wellington was for the 2nd office tower for Simcoe Place...and the always envisioned hotel/condo/theatre tower was to go more in the middle of the north end of the giant block?

KGB

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'm still relatively impressed. It is pretty hard not to be.

It would be nice if it broke into the 700 ft range.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think it's pretty much going directly adjacent to the CBC. If it were going to sit at Wellington and Simcoe, I think the press release would have said that as apposed to saying between Simcoe and John streets. Probably just north of the little park, who's name I don't recall. That would still leave space for Simcoe II to sit just east of the Ritz-Carlton, just like you've said, KGB.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts