Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kerala, one of the smaller states in India is blessed with 44 rivers - 41 west flowing and 3 east flowing. All these rivers originate from the Western Ghats.

However, the west flowing rivers merge with the Arabian (Laccadive) Sea either directly or indirectly (through a backwater). The east lfowing rivers namely Kabani (Wayanad), Bhavani (Palakkad) & Pambar (Idukki) ultimately become the tributaries of the River Kaveri.

The Rivers & backwaters of Kerala play a significant role in the life of the people of Kerala and also in the State's Economy. State's Agriculture, Business & Industries depend on these rivers to a greater extent. Hydro-electric projects (mostly related to Dams built across the Rivers) contribute the maximum quantum of power generated in the State. While River, Dam & Backwater based tourism is a major activity in the State.

Most of Kerala's Cities & Towns are located on the banks of the rivers. It is a universal phenonmena that human culture & settlements develop on the bank of a river.

In this thread, the discussions with regard to the Rivers, related dams and backwaters and Cities & Towns can be made.

We start our discussion from Neyyar, the southernmost River in Kerala.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
River NEYYAR

The River Neyyar is the southernmost River in the State of Kerala. The name has been derived from Malayalam ('Ney', meaning Ghee + 'Aar', meaning River).

The Southernmost Municipal Town of the State viz. Neyyattinkara (meaning, the banks of the river Neyyar) is situated on the banks of this River, as the very name of the river itself explains.

Neyyar originates from the 'Agasthyarkoodam' in the Western Ghats, the second tallest peak of Kerala. Then it flows westward to merge with the Arabian Sea at Poovar. Neyyar is about 60 km long.

A major irrigation project is associated with this river, with the commissioning of the Neyyar Irrigation Project (NIP) in the 1960s. NIP provides water for Trivandrum & Kanya Kumari Districts. One branch canal passes through the KK District, while the other one passes through the Trivandrum District and ends in the fresh water lake namely 'Vellayani'.

The main dam associated with the NIP is the Neyyar Dam, constructed at a location between Kallikkad & Amboori in Neyyattinkara Taluk (28 km from Trivandrum City Centre and 7 km from Kattakkada Town Centre).

When the Capital City of Kerala faced acute water shortage during the '70s, pipe lines were laid between the Neyyar Dam and the Aruvikkara reservoir to recharge the Aruvikkara dam, which is principally intended to provide water for Trivandrum City.

Neyyar Dam is developed as a major tourist hub in South Kerala. It has got one of the most beautiful gardens. A fresh water aquarium is functioing in this garden. The dam provides boating facility. There is a Lion Safari Park & a Corcodile Farm, which are additional attractions. Kerala's first (till very recently, State's only one) 'Open Prison' is functioing in a 1000 ha plus plantation adjacent to this farm. 'Sivananda Ashram', famous for 'Yoga' is also located on the premises of the Neyyar Dam reservoir and attracts thousands of foreign travellers.

State Highway (SH-3) No. 3, passes very close to the Neyyar Dam.

The merging point of Neyyar with the Arabian Sea has developed to a great Tourism spot over the years. The lagooons & delta at Poovar has hundreds of units to house tourists, including floating hotels.

Kodithookki Mala is a Hill close to the sea, very near to the merging point of Neyyar with the Arabian Sea.

Tail Piece: In Malayalam, the terms like Aar, Nadhi, Puzha etc are used commonly to represent a river. In the case of 'Muvattupuzhayaar', the one which passes through the Central Kerala, there is a funny thing. It has both the components, Puzha & Aar. It is still interesting to note that, all those rivers, South of Muvattupuzhayaar are referred only Aaar (Eg. Pamba aar etc) and all those North of this river are represented as Puzha (Eg. Chalkkudi Puzha etc)

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind Attention of Moderators, please.

Appreciate if this thread is renamed as:

Kerala Rivers & Projects,

so that we can discuss the issues related to the various Projects and Developments (Dams - Drinking Water, Power Generation, Irrigation, Tourism, Fisheries etc) related to the rivers of Kerala. If so, the thread would more suitably fit in here. Also we can post beautiful pictures of the amazing secnaries associated with these rivers.

·
here and there
4,971 Posts
Appreciate if this thread is renamed as:

Kerala Rivers & Projects,

so that we can discuss the issues related to the various Projects and Developments (Dams - Drinking Water, Power Generation, Irrigation, Tourism, Fisheries etc) related to the rivers of Kerala. If so, the thread would more suitably fit in here. Also we can post beautiful pictures of the amazing secnaries associated with these rivers.
Jaleelkka, Nice thread. :banana:

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great initiative, Jaleelbhai. Can we post other water body realted news and projects like freshwater lakes, streams and canals?
Yes, we should.

The entire hydrology of Kerala can be discussed here, as all these water bodies are inter related.

·
Trivandrum Tiger
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
River Karamana - Its tributaries & distributaries

Moving towards the North after crossing Neyyar, we will reach the River Karamana, flowing through the heart of Trivandrum City. 'Karamanayaar' is almost 70 km long and just like the Neyyar, originates at the Agasthyarkoodam in the Western Ghats.

Killiyaar is its major tributory, originating somewhere near Vellanchira on the foothills of Vengamala near Pullampara and Panavoor. The River Vamanapuram passes just a few km away from the point of origin of Killiyaar. From Panavoor, the river Killi passes via Puthenpaalam on the TS Road (Puthenpalam connects Nedumangad to Venjaramood via Pullampara), Pazhakutty (Pazhakutty bridge connects Nedumangad to Vembayam/Kanyakulangara via Thekkada), and then flows parellel to the Nedumangad-Trivandrum road. It crosses the Trivandrum-Nedumangad road at Karakulam and then passes via Vazhayila, Vattiyoorkave, Maruthamkuzhi, Jagathy, Killippalam, Aattukal till it merges with the River Karamana somewhere near Thiruvallom.

Karamanayaar on the other hand, passes via Peppara on the foothills of Ponmudi, then to Aryanad, Vellanad (Chaanga) and then reaches the Aruvikkara reservoir. It is notebale that it is the River Karamana that provides drinking water to the people of the Trivandrum cities and its suburbs like Nedumangad. At Peppara, there is an upper dam, which recharges the Aruvikkara reservoir.

After Aruvikkara,the River Karamana passes through Kachani/Cheriyakonni, Vellaikkadave, Kundamankadave, Mangattukadave, Thrikkannapuram and then crosses the NH 47 at Karamana and then reaches Thiruvallom via Karumom. At Karumom, there is a water regulatory device that manages the water levels of the Vellayani lake (Below Mean Sea Level) and the River Karamana.

After the Thiruvallom bridge, an artifical 'distributory' had been made for this river. This is the Parvathy Puthanar. The River Karamana, Parvathy Puthanaar and the Arabian Sea makes an Island known as Edayar (locally called 'Lanka') at Thiruvallom. Finally, the River Karamana merges with the Arabian Sea at Panathura (between Thiruvallom & Kovalam). More information later.

·
I am what I am...
1,032 Posts
Kuttiyadi River.

Originating from The hills bordering the east of Kozhikode district, the river flows west through the most fertile flat lands meandering drastically to finally join the Arabian sea at Murat near Vadakara. As an all season river and its not so high banks makes it a popular route to goods transport in small vallams.

Kuttiyadi is the major town situvated in its banks and hence the name. Also known as Murat river in its final stages.

The proposed Vadakara - Mahe Canal starts from this river and ends in Mahe river.

Images: Sanya'Lens (Taken from Chaniyam Kadavu Bridge,Vadakara-Perambra Road)

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I like this thread.

When my eyes are tired of watching the filth and ugly high rise buildings built all over Kerala and published day in and day out in SSC, I can come to this thread and cool my soul watching some pristine water bodies of Kerala. I would love it if somebody can post photographs of all our rivers, lakes and sea beaches.

Please exclude Periyar, which is a black cesspool with the effluents of factories polluting and killing it totally. I am surprised citizens of Kochi are drinking its water.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I like this thread.

When my eyes are tired of watching the filth and ugly high rise buildings built all over Kerala and published day in and day out in SSC, I can come to this thread and cool my soul watching some pristine water bodies of Kerala. I would love it if somebody can post photographs of all our rivers, lakes and sea beaches.

Please exclude Periyar, which is a black cesspool with the effluents of factories polluting and killing it totally. I am surprised citizens of Kochi are drinking its water.
Mercifully, the major pumping station for Kochi city is at Chovvara. A good portion of the filth still starts accumulating downstream, after Chovvara. Real estate freebooters and development-mongers are doing their best to make amends though. After all, more filth in the rivers translates to more bottled water factories, more tanker lorries, more money spend on road maintenance as tankers ply to and fro - in short a perfect recipe fore an economic boom!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts