Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Citizen of heavenly city!
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 5 day trip to Belgium at the end of may. I stayed mainly in Brussels but went also to Oostende, Leuven and Mechelen and made pics in all of'em(except Leuven, I was in the conference there and it took whole day). It was really refreshening to get out of my tiny and raw Estonia and feel the difference between developing country as mine and developed country as, for example, Belgium. I stayed at the place of my good friend and sister of faith. She lives in a very good location, right next to the eurodistrict on the Palmerston avenue- the border of park Ambiorix. The comission building and Shumans tubestation was just 200m away. So it was really easy for me to take trips where I just wanted to. I really enjoyed dense city and well organized and compact public transport system: combinied tube, train, tram and bus lines. Very nice place for an urban fanatic to go and live. A negative thing was that local folks don't clean after their dogs, thus you'd be in constant danger to step into the dirt. Despite of those doggy things I'd live there for sure. This tread will contain several picloads(one load of nightshots among others), so be prepared. So...the takeoff:

Compared to Brussels Zaventem, Our airport in Tallinn is just a bus stop :D:D

An average tubestop, they are all the same its boring. Next pics are taken from my hostess' window:

Opposite side of the Palmerston avenue

What a nice view to have from an apartment

A little palmtree in Ambiorix park, seen from the same 4tf floor window. Next shots are just streetscenes:

In eastern part of the city on our way to Tomberg tubestation

This thingy caught my eye at the very moment

This streetscene is between citycentre and Ambiorix

Nice Avantgard in the same street.

Thats all for now, there's more to come ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, these are amazing!
Especially I like the one from airport, they need some public transport here like in Heathrow where are train 2 different stops between 1,2 and 3 terminals and terminal 4, because the distance looks so huge!
I was in Brussels Charleroi airport some years ago and it striked bad impression on me - a little box, even ATM wasn't there!
There are picture:

·
always on
4,826 Posts
Sister of Faith sounds like a rockband! Rock oN!

The first pics are good keep them coming, Bruxelles is a kickass place :)

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@denverdane. I know, I went upthere actually during my trip. But you'll see pics of it later on. Thanks guys for feedback.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Well done Rivkin, also the district where you stayed looks to be very cozy, buildings are small and side by side, is it that way all over the city ? :)

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ Unfortunately not. I wanted to but I didn't have much time. After being in belgium I felt strongly that I have to return someday. Because I didn't see Walloonian areas at all(mainly Ardennes etc).

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Time has come for the next photoload here. I'll continue with streetscenes, moving closer to the citycentre:

Roadjunction on the way to the centre. You can see 120m 33fl madou plaza in the right and 107m 31fl Astro Tower in the left.

Madou Plaza again.

Streetscene and 145m Financietoren under reconstruction visible

Astro Tower again

Astro-La Rotonde-Madou, Very nice view, old mixed with new.

Modern building and newly planted trees near the Centraalstation or Gare central.

Cute little street full of restaurants

Very cute passage near Centraalsation

Slight windowshopping in the passage

Thats all for this time...:cheers:

·
commieblock enthusiast
452 Posts
Heh, I noticed that new skyscrapers and massive buildings here are somehow more monotone than in other places. Or am I wrong? Or is it just the impression from the first pic in the last set? Anyway, I like that monotonicity.

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lets continue with cityscapes:

Nice modern building across the street from Comission.

Same building rising over lowerones

In the Citycentre

137m 38fl Dexia Tower.

City skyline from Heyzel plateu. Atomium, Kineapolis cinema with 28 halls, Mini-Europe themepark and Boudewijn Stadion are there.

Tubetrain heading back to the city.

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its time to continue from Heysel and on...Atomium is coming and views from upthere and pics from parks...

A group of hindu youngsters posing in front of...

...this. Next pics are views from 102m above the ground ;)

The overexpensive Mini-Europe(I didnt go there :D)

Nice massive commie and Boudewijn stadium

commie zoomed in

Rather nice contemporary building

Towards the centre...

...and ground :). Ongoing pics are from Parks. Ossegem near atomium first and then one from Parc de Woluwe and two from Ambiorix near the place I stayed.

The entrance of Ossegem park with cylindrical beechtrees.

Parc de Woluwe

Ambiorix and lovely palmtrees

Thats it for now, there's more coming ;)

·
commieblock enthusiast
452 Posts
WOW, supercool commieblocks those three!!! I very very like them! Real Corbusier dream!... Other highrises are good as well, but those three are excellent :) Bravo, bravo, whoever designed them. Perhaps le Corbusier himself?

Almost forgot to add - I always lose my direction, do the comments go to the upper or lower picture... Perhaps you could make little more space to there, where is a break? Just a suggestion... Fortunately I always find out to where the comment goes.

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ In my treads the comment goes always on upper picture! :)

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We're going to meet a Glassy side of Brussels- the surrounding area of European Parliament. Here they come:

cute crane reflection at Froissartstraat :)

Mmmoving closer to the glassy spot, a view from the corner of Froissartstraat and Rue Belliard

The Parliament itself

Nice building just opposite of Parliament

A nearby building

Thats all for now, nightshots yet to come ;)

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last loead from Brussels- the nightflow. Pics made mainly at the Shumans rounddpoint and near the Rue de la Loi or Wetstraat. here they are:

Nice reflection

At the Shumans roundpoint. These lights reacted on sounds ;)

View to Rue de la Loi or Wetstraat

moving closer...

...and closer

and finally along it

Thats it for Brussels for now, Oostende is coming next

1 - 20 of 27 Posts