SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Banned
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Al-Anoud Tower

Design work is under way for a striking landmark, which will be built close to the Kingdom Centre and the Al Faisaliah Centre in the heart of Riyadh.

The Anoud Tower, as it will be known, will be a mixed-use complex comprising a four-star hotel and commercial and office spaces.

The prestigious project has been conceived by the Princess Al-Anoud bint Abdulaziz Al Jalawi Charity Organisation. The development aims to generate income to fund the organisation's various charitable projects, and as a fitting tribute to the late princess.

The Riyadh-based East Consulting Engineering Centre (ECEC) is preparing the designs for the Al Anoud Tower.

The building has the shape of two tapering bows, forming an abstract Islamic arch towards its apex and is located on a prime site in the posh commercial district of Riyadh.

"Bearing this in mind, we have carefully studied and designed the project to harmoniously blend three elements - a hotel, commercial space and offices," says Ahmed Al-Abdulkarim, the principal of ECEC.

"The project has put immense pressure on and presented a challenge to the design team," he adds.

Al-Abdulkarim continues: "During the conceptual stages, various design concepts were drawn, to produce a design that would be unique and break out of the traditional box-like forms.

"The design development process continued until the charity organisation decided on a tall building which should stand out alongside the best."

Located on a prime 8,600 sq m site, the plot has been divided into two sections, with the building to rise on a 5,000 sq m area and the remaining part reserved for future expansion.

Office floors were designed to offer flexibility in dividing spaces while maximising views of the exterior and gaining natural lighting from all four sides.

The building will have a total built-up area of approximately 42,400 sq m, including 1,100 sq m of commercial space, 10,000 sq m of offices and 22,900 sq m of hotel facilities.

The structure comprises two basement levels for parking and hotel services, above which are 20 floors enveloped in structural glazing and aluminium cladding.

The ground and mezzanine floor will house the commercial and hotel areas. The hotel facilities on these levels include a lobby lounge, coffee shop, souvenir shop, a 150-seat specialty restaurant, business centre, meeting rooms and a spacious banquet hall.

The first floor will comprise the office and hotel areas. Facilities for the hotel will include administration, swimming pool/terrace, health caf‚, gymnasium, sauna, steam, jacuzzi and shower, a barber shop, children's game and an amusement centre. Offices will spread over levels two to seven of the building. Above these levels, the hotel guest rooms and suites will be accommodated between levels eight to 17.

The 18th level will be dedicated to hotel meeting rooms, the executive lounge and buffet dining, providing these areas with a good view of Riyadh. The roof deck will serve as a mechanical/service floor. ECEC is a leading consultancy firm which has almost 25 years of experience in architectural and engineering service. The firm was commissioned to prepare the designs for the landmark, and expects to complete the final design by July. Tenders are expected to be issued by the end of the year and the construction period will last two years.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Aha so this is the one, I've seen that ages ago and was wonderin what it was called. Good to see that this project hasn't been scrapped away.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
That's the one I was talking about couple of months back here at SSC. It's being constructed right behind Kingdom Tower (opposite to Obeikan Bookstore/Toyland). I saw its rendering on the site location few months back but couldn't take a pic because of fear of being caught for filming a skyscraper :D

This'll be the 3rd tallest tower in Riyadh, right? I personally believe Riyadh has the potential to become a skyscraper haven, if authorities were a bit flexible.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Accor, one of the world's largest hotels and services groups, today disclosed that it plans to more than double the number of hotels under its management in the region within the next three years.

Accor, owners of a unique portfolio of brands ranging from Sofitel, Novotel, Ibis and Formule 1 offerings, is expected to announce a number of new management contracts and construction start-ups for hotels in the Gulf region during the first half of this year.

The company will be participating in the Arabian Travel Market in Dubai in May where its exhibition stand will focus on its current network and future expansion in the Middle East.

'Accor's long term strategy is to have a Sofitel and Novotel in every major city in the Middle East,' said Christophe Landais, managing director, Middle East.

'But we have now moved from intention to commitment with construction under way of major new projects in Saudi Arabia and Syria, the opening of a Mercure hotel in Jeddah in February and another scheduled to open in Makkah later this year. A Novotel is under construction in Riyadh while a Sofitel is being built in Al Khobar.

'We will be signing further important agreements shortly for further Sofitels and hotels under other Accor brands elsewhere in the Gulf by mid-2005. In addition, we are set for a significant expansion of the Ibis network across the region.

'We continue to seek further opportunities and we expect our presence to expand rapidly over the next decade. We plan to increase our regional base to 35 hotels and more than 5,000 rooms over the next three years alone.'

Currently Accor operates 17 hotels in the Near and Middle East. They include four Sofitels, three Novotels, and several Mercure hotels together offering more than 3,500 rooms.

In addition, Accor recently won the international bid for the hotel management contract for what will become the world's largest Sofitel, now under construction in Makkah at a total cost of about $600 million. The Zam Zam Sofitel Grand Suites will provide 1250 luxury suites - many of them on a time-share basis - and is scheduled to open in September 2006. A Sofitel with 231 rooms is also presently being built in Syria.

Landais added: 'We are confident that the business and travel market in the region will continue to grow rapidly and that we shall achieve our target of being perhaps the leading player in hotels in the region within the next decade.'

·
Banned
259 Posts
huit said:
That's the one I was talking about couple of months back here at SSC. It's being constructed right behind Kingdom Tower (opposite to Obeikan Bookstore/Toyland). I saw its rendering on the site location few months back but couldn't take a pic because of fear of being caught for filming a skyscraper :D

This'll be the 3rd tallest tower in Riyadh, right? I personally believe Riyadh has the potential to become a skyscraper haven, if authorities were a bit flexible.
skyscrapers would be for show because they are like in kuwait they wouldn't hesitate paying 800 000million on a palace lol, but paying millions on a tower would be only for show. If they get that fashion hit they got in the UAE for skyscrapers ;) then ksa would boom hehehe :D

·
Registered
872 Posts
Riyadhi man... You keep on amazing me with all the info you've posted in the last few days. Thanks and Great Job! :applause: :eek:kay:

By the way, how high is this tower going to be? Is it gona be taller than the NCCI building next to Fasaliah?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
That pictures was taken from the back side. I took two other front pictures but I couldn't upload them. The two that I posted earlier were for the NCB regional office. I'll fix that later.

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
Nice to see them building it. It reminds of a building I saw in frankfurt. Here it is:

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
distinctive indeed
i like that tow arc it reminde me screw

·
2,424 Posts
Riyadhi said:
I would say it's around 150 m with the spire.
It doesn't look like it'll be 150m...Its, what, about 25 floors?

And, ok, its got a spire...But still...It'll probably only be like 120m at most...

But its a really good looking tower...And big...It'll be a nice addition to the current skyline..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
B-Patriot said:
It doesn't look like it'll be 150m...Its, what, about 25 floors?

And, ok, its got a spire...But still...It'll probably only be like 120m at most...

But its a really good looking tower...And big...It'll be a nice addition to the current skyline..
Maybe you are right, but remember that Kingdom Center and Faisaliyah were supposed to be 30 floors each!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Guys look at this...

Is this complex composed of two towers or one?

To tell you the truth, I kinda hope the end product is gonna look like this render instead of the initial ones. Although both look equally good.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts