SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2877 Posts

·
2,424 Posts
I'd like to see some more pictures...Its interesting...The bridge sorta looks cool...

But to tell u the truth i really don't like Saudi, or Riyadh...For a country with a quarter of the world's oil reserves, the capital is very unimpressive, almost embarassing...And the airport is SOOOOOOOO old fashioned...Must be ancient..

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you Bahraini Patriot. Unfortunately money has been mishandled extremly badly. But having lived in Riyadh for 11 years, I feel that there is something special about the city. Even though it doesn't look that good in the pictures, Riyadh is a great city. The airport is old fashioned because it wasn't built recently and despite its architecture, its still one of the biggest airports in the world (size and area). I also think that Riyadh airport's architecture was supposed to give the airport an old and traditional look. Sorry about not posting enough pictures, its just that there arent many pictures of Riyadh on the web and I havent been to Riyadh recently.

Other gulf countries like the UAE and Bahrain concentrate their development in one city or area. Whereas Saudi Arabia has built Yanbu and Jubail from the sand upwards, expanded the holy mosques by at least 10 times (my estimate), developed Jeddah and Riyadh, and are developing Makkah and Madinah. Saudi Arabia also got a railway back when no other gulf country thought of a national railway system. I would agree with you that Riyadh and the rest of Saudi Arabia are not where they are supposed to be, but the thing is that other gulf countries develop to get on the world map of tourists whereas Saudi doesnt need that foreign money coming in.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Do you know that this airport is the largest in the world in terms of land size (200 sq. km), that's just under 1/3 the size of Bahrain.

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts
i didnt know that they have bridge in riyadh :uh:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I dont know why some people think Riyadh is backwards, The city itsef with around 5 million people is more than any other gulf nation and believe me its not like Jeddah... Riyadh's wealth is incredible.

·
44,603 Posts
intresting pictures. i kind of like the design of the airport.

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts
i really dont understand why would they build huge urban area (the capital) in the middle of the desert that is not very convenient,i think they should move the capital to jeddah :D

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
skoulikimou said:
i really dont understand why would they build huge urban area (the capital) in the middle of the desert that is not very convenient,i think they should move the capital to jeddah :D
Riyadh is the area from which the Saud family is from, the city area was also an oasis and is a very historic city in the Arabian Peninsula. You could see it as being inconvenient or you can also see it as utilitzation of massive desert space for something very productive.

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts
i dont mean any disrespect ,but that the way i see it :cheers1:

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
I dont like saudi arabia. Its a big sand country with some big buildings. It doesnt have any karakter. I only like mecca and medina because they have historical value but the rest of saudi arabia is kinda nothing on historic perspective (compairing with surounding nations)

Reactions: mouadh25

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Your very wrong shayan. Before I posted my reply, i was going to post asking someone to post pics of some of saudi arabia's historical palaces and castles. It has something many other places around lack, true culture !! A multiethinic population that comprimses of different cultures.. its amazing this country. But we seldom hear or see these things because, as i believe, the religious ppl in charge don't want to highlight these aspects of saudi arabia. They'd rather destory old castles and erase some of the different local cultures and have ppl live the way they wish them too.

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
but i was kinda compairing with surounding nations if you compair saudi arabia with surounding nations its not even compaireble. ( i know about the castles and the mountains in the south west ) well qatar4ever do you have some pictures so change my point of view??

·
Banned
8 Posts
skoulikimou said:

the economic capital was jeddah then it was changed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Historic Saudi

Nabatean/Roman temple remains, near Ruwafah, northeast of Yanbu.

Aslam Caravanserai: Pilgrim caravanserai at Wadi Aslam, near Duba, northwest Saudi Arabia; 18th century.

Quesaybah Dam, near Wadi Thanmud, 9th century age

Oldest Mosque in Saudi Arabia: Domat Al Jamdal in the Al Jawf area.

Medain Saleh: Nabatean tombs 200 BC to 200 AD

Lion Tombs of 3,000 BC age at ancient Dedan, Al Ula, near Medain Saleh

Petroglyphs: taken at Hima, southwest Saudi Arabia

A 9th century dam named Birqat Al Kharabah

A well

Hejaz Railway

Interior courtyard with stairway and well, Juddah Station on the Hejaz Railway.

Baday Station, near Mughayra, on the Hejaz Railway

Site of one of Lawrence of Arabia's attacks.

Misc.

And of Course:

Hira Cave, where Islam began

There are loads of historic sites in Saudi Arabia but they arent promoted. All of the ones above and many more. The present Saudi Arabia is also history in the making!

I think I should rename this thread as Saudi Pictures instead of Riyadh Pictures.

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts
Roman temple in KSA i never knew that :dunno:

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
that's nice. Funny to see african culture in saudi arabia.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Thanks for the pics. From my experience, and I've seen a lot of Saudi Arabia, it's a great country, very nice, a lot of variety, but people don't know much about it. It's not the friendliest touristic place in terms of laws and regulations but it certainly has a lot to offer.

1 - 20 of 2877 Posts