SkyscraperCity banner

861 - 874 of 874 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Beautiful tower surrounded by a terrible skyline. The middle east in general has not figured out yet how to build cohesive skylines. Building 15 amazing towers that all completely contrast each other and clash is very harsh on the eyes. That is the least important part though. They also have not realized yet that cities need to active the street and have a good layout of roads to actually be functional. Everything out here lately is essentially giant office parks and each tower may as well be on an island. Many of these places start with a blank slate where they could take lessons from all of the great cities apply them here correct some deficiencies and make something even better. Instead there are just some nice towers that end up in terrible skylines and are essentially an ornament to look at from afar.

To me it feels as if the city planners in Dubai, Riyadh, Qatar... look at pictures of NYC, Chicago, Hong Kong, Toronto on the internet, see that they have some nice towers and then try to outdo them....not realizing what actually makes these cities great lies on street level. Being from Boston I know full well that a skyline means next to nothing in the grand scheme of things when it comes to what makes a city great or not. Boston and London are two very good examples of what great cities really consist of. Tall buildings do not make a great city, they only further enhance cities that are already great, or in this case they do almost nothing other than act as ornaments.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I disagree,,, riyadh is the most unique building all around the world.. look at hongkong, shanghai, toronto, chicago, NY, bangkok or all best skyline in asia and america all looks same style but riyadh different one and only

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Beautiful tower surrounded by a terrible skyline. The middle east in general has not figured out yet how to build cohesive skylines. Building 15 amazing towers that all completely contrast each other and clash is very harsh on the eyes. That is the least important part though. They also have not realized yet that cities need to active the street and have a good layout of roads to actually be functional. Everything out here lately is essentially giant office parks and each tower may as well be on an island. Many of these places start with a blank slate where they could take lessons from all of the great cities apply them here correct some deficiencies and make something even better. Instead there are just some nice towers that end up in terrible skylines and are essentially an ornament to look at from afar.

To me it feels as if the city planners in Dubai, Riyadh, Qatar... look at pictures of NYC, Chicago, Hong Kong, Toronto on the internet, see that they have some nice towers and then try to outdo them....not realizing what actually makes these cities great lies on street level. Being from Boston I know full well that a skyline means next to nothing in the grand scheme of things when it comes to what makes a city great or not. Boston and London are two very good examples of what great cities really consist of. Tall buildings do not make a great city, they only further enhance cities that are already great, or in this case they do almost nothing other than act as ornaments.
I think this development keeps a great theme with the same style of architecture that makes it totally unique :cheers:

Toronto, Chicago and New York had waaaaay more time to develop. Riyadh, Dubai, Qatar etc. were just a desert a few decades ago. Of course their urban density is not so high. They need time to grow.

·
Registered
507 Posts

The Street level when it comes to Shops and Cafeterias is very good many places in Dubai. Like old Dubai and the Dubai Marina. And also Downtown Dubai.

861 - 874 of 874 Posts