SkyscraperCity banner

11121 - 11140 of 11245 Posts

·
49,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,121
Before there's talk of a new crossing of the Danube, what is the condition of the bridge between Giurgiu and Ruse? This is a critical crossing and it would be unpleasant to find out it needs a short-term replacement without funding - or that it would take funding away from other projects.

The bridge was built in 1954, so it is soon reaching 70 years of age. Many other bridges like that are in poor condition or already have been replaced. A failure of closure would be catastrophic due to the lack of alternative crossings.

·
AUTOBANN.ED
38,225 Posts
The Netherlands is apparently one of the countries still blocking Romania's entry into the Schengen Zone. This doesn't often make the news in the Netherlands.

But the Netherlands would benefit from a large pool of workers willing to work dead-end, boring and meaningless jobs in processing/packaging plants, slaughterhouses, greenhouses, etc. There are large operations like that that can only exist here with a supply of migrant workers. In most of these operations, 80-90% of staff are from Eastern Europe. I kind of feel sorry for Romanians (and Polish, Hungarians, etc.) that their 'brighter future' abroad is work like this. :cry:
I agree with bogdymol that Schengen has nothing to do with labour movement inside the EU. People will move for work inside the EU because they have a right to work in the Netherlands for example as European citizens, not because they are in Schengen. ON the contrary, Schengen would benefit greatly to a reduction in workforce movement from Romania to richer EU states, because open borders would allow more investments in Romania, better jobs, better pay and in the end would create the conditions for Romanians to have a better life in Romania that in western Europe, and earn comparatively better, considering living costs here.

Dragos Tudorache is from En Marche group in the EP, and I assume he has the backing of Macron's group there. So this is not entirely random, as France was among the countries opposing Schengen admission for Romania, along with the Netherlands.

BTW:

·
AUTOBANN.ED
38,225 Posts
Lame excuses. Romania regards Bulgaria as a competitor.
Tourism, investments, transit cargo.
This is the simple truth. This is why there are only 2 Danube bridges for 500 km. The first one build by Russians in the 1950s and the second one build after the Bulgarians secured EU investment money.
truth is never so simple, and it is ussualy a fallacy when it is taken for granted . Why build bridges for corridors, and cargo when there is no corridor via Romania and BUlgaria and it will not be until at least 2030 when A1 for example will be completed, along with A0?!

Also, Romania does not compete with Bulgaria for tourists, and it has never done that. Please elaborate your assertion.

As for investments, I doubt that Romania ever seriously could consider Bulgaria as a real competitor. In such class there are Hungary or Poland or Slovakia. I have countless examples when Romania competed with these countries for serious investments (I am talking large industrial investments), but never with Bulgaria.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
truth is never so simple, and it is ussualy a fallacy when it is taken for granted . Why build bridges for corridors, and cargo when there is no corridor via Romania and BUlgaria and it will not be until at least 2030 when A1 for example will be completed, along with A0?!

Also, Romania does not compete with Bulgaria for tourists, and it has never done that. Please elaborate your assertion.

As for investments, I doubt that Romania ever seriously could consider Bulgaria as a real competitor. In such class there are Hungary or Poland or Slovakia. I have countless examples when Romania competed with these countries for serious investments (I am talking large industrial investments), but never with Bulgaria.
Thessaloniki - Sofia - Vidin - Arad - Budapest is the only way to travel from Greece to Central Europe without leaving the EU.
Bulgaria has a motorway from the Greek border to Botevgrad and is upgrading Botevgrad - Vidin into a 2x2 express way.
Istanbul - Russe - Bucharest - is the shortest land route from Turkey to Moldavia, Ukraine, Belorus and the Baltic republics.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Thessaloniki - Sofia - Vidin - Arad - Budapest is the only way to travel from Greece to Central Europe without leaving the EU.
Bulgaria has a motorway from the greek border to Botevgrad and is upgrading Botevgrad - Vidin into a 2x2 express way
The corridors in that map no longer exist, the corridor between BG and Arad is an official EU corridor but Romania seemingly have no intention of building the rest of it (the A6 south of Timisoara to ~Calafat portion that is).

·
AUTOBANN.ED
38,225 Posts
I do not see the point there. Maybe you should explain yourself. I know this map of corridors but I do not understand your point. There is no motorway corridor built in Romania ATM and will not be ready until 2030 at the earliest, via A1. I am assuming by then a high speed connection with Vidin-Calafat bridge will be available via Craiova-Pitesti expressway currently U/C, and then A1. But again this is 2030 at the earliest. That corridor could serve both Calafat-Vidin bridge and the Giurgiu-Ruse bridge.

But lower Danube in Romania and Bulgaria is not Danube in Hungary or Vienna. It is much wider and trickier. Romania itself has only one bridge over the Danube on its territory for similar reasons, and it is currently building a second with EU funding.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
The corridors in that map no longer exist, the corridor between BG and Arad is an official EU corridor but Romania seemingly have no intention of building the rest of it (the A6 south of Timisoara to ~Calafat portion that is).
The corridors may not exist on paper but the cargo traffic is going exactly that way.

·
AUTOBANN.ED
38,225 Posts
If anyone cares to pull off the 6 billion euros the cost and hand it over to Romania , Romania would be happy to build it. The EU doesn't avail of the money, so it does not seem interested either. BTW: the corridor appears as completed on the EU TEN-T maps (as I did explain you once in the past) because Romania did upgrade it for TIR traffic, indeed not to motorway standard but to a national road standard capable of taking TIR traffic, which it does ATM. It is not completely off the beaten track for international traffic as some may assume. It is quite busy with BG and PL trucks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If anyone cares to pull off the 6 billion euros the cost and hand it over to Romania , Romania would be happy to build A6 Lugoj - Calafat.
I think 85% EU and 15% Romania is a fair deal, as Romanian citizens and compagnies will profit from this road as well.
Lets hope somewhere 2028-2035 funding period.

·
AUTOBANN.ED
38,225 Posts
Romania became the second largest market for Bulgarian exports in 2019. It surpassed Italy.

Bulgaria Exports By Country
That is kinda normal I guess giving that both countries are neighbours and EU members. I am sure though the trade would go up significantly as would do investments if the countries would be within the Schengen Zone, which I personally see as a bigger barrier for trade than lack of a good motorway network. The EU is about lack of trade barriers, but the EU keeps up trade barriers for a few EU members for fuzzy reasons already. I am sure Romania would be able to compete much more effectively with Hungary or Slovakia for investments were it in Schengen.

·
11,930 Posts
Romania itself has only one bridge over the Danube on its territory for similar reasons, and it is currently building a second with EU funding.
We have 2, with a third one under construction.

·
AUTOBANN.ED
38,225 Posts
I think 85% EU and 15% Romania is a fair deal, as Romanian citizens and compagnies will profit from this road as well.
Lets hope somewhere 2028-2035 funding period.
Why not now?! Why not comes the EU with a great idea to have this corridor as a strategic investment objective for the coming period (also to overcome the pandemic) and put all the money it takes into it?! It is not such a big deal for the EU!

·
11,930 Posts
It is still better than the current bridge near Galati / Braila :troll:

Why do you say it is a joke? It is a 4-lane bridge that helps cars drive from one side to the other.

·
AUTOBANN.ED
38,225 Posts
It is very poorly connected and it is also very poorly maintained for the same reason probably.

__

BTW: I really hope that CNAIR will manage to sign for the remaining lots for Craiova-Pitesti expressway later this year (this assumes indeed no litigations) and for lot 4 (and maybe 3, with remaining lot 2 slotted for next year) in PiSi, because that would mean real progress for such corridor to be completed by 2030 or earlier.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
BTW: the corridor appears as completed on the EU TEN-T maps (as I did explain you once in the past) because Romania did upgrade it for TIR traffic,
It isn't, unless it is a motorway or expressway as per the TEN-T directive. Was that another of your "very good" but "not accurate" maps???

The A6 is a notable failure on a European scale even though it is an unremarkable failure on a Romaniian scale. :(

11121 - 11140 of 11245 Posts