Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a horror week on Sydney's roads this week with:

1. A crane falling onto southern cross drive on Monday causing delays all morning for motorists between the CBD and airport.
2. The Spit Bridge closed for two hours that same night after a mechanical malfunction caused the bridge to remain open after it's 7:30pm opening to boats forcing those on the city's northern beaches to take a very long detour to get home.
3. Computer malfunction forces closure of the M5 East tunnel for five hours on Wednesday morning causing gridlock across the city's southern and south west suburbs along with Southern Cross Drive.

The media has had a field day (reports from Wednesday bulletins)

Seven News

Ten News

I am in the process of capturing images and videos of congestion in Sydney.

And is there a solution??? With Iemma in charge - no

Please post pics and videos of the congestion in our cities

·
derp
10,274 Posts
OMG those poor car drivers couldn't get home quickly, awwwwww..... lucky all those public transport passengers could just fly past the incidents.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,571 Posts
^^ haha. i have no sympathy for them too except for the innocent bus travellers who unfortunately get caught up in it.

it shits me how the media play it up and the polies react. deadset, the qld govt is spending billions on urban congestion, most of which includes roads and road tunnels. PT up here does get some slice of the pie, but if you invested the road $$$ into PT, we would have a world class system in no time.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
The bus passengers did not rate a mention in any of the reports I've read/heard.

Given that the Spit Bridge closure and resultant traffic congestion would have played absolute havoc with bus services over a huge area, it is disagrceful they didn't get a mention.

·
Registered
984 Posts
And is there a solution??? With Iemma in charge - no
The solution is for NSW to elect someone who can guarantee cranes won't ever fall into busy roads and machines and computers won't fail from time to time ever again. Why can't God by leader of NSW?

Given that the Spit Bridge closure and resultant traffic congestion would have played absolute havoc with bus services over a huge area, it is disagrceful they didn't get a mention.
Er, why would we need to hear what bus drivers think? Buses on our roads are part of the problem, they take up the valuable space that our motorists can use.

·
Perpetual Bohemian
4,108 Posts
This is one area in which I earnestly hope Iemma doesn't perform. Except for the F3 and F6 links to the orbital route, Sydney's motorway system is now complete IMO. No need for the M4 east because it will just funnel cars into the CBD; no need for a truck motorway to Port Botany because freight can be railed for distribution at Enfield. We don't need more and expanded roads because it will simply result in more people driving to work. We actually need more peak hour gridlocks to convince lazies who can readily use public transport to do so. The money now needs to go into major PT infrastructure (far more than just metro showponies) so that those who drive have more incentive to change.

While I'm on the subject - crazyknightsfan are you aware of what seems like ongoing subliminal effort by RTA to make up for the loss of the old F6 link corridor by making the link to the M5 via Alfords Point? It seems to me this is what they are doing incrementally over a period of years. Quite sensible I think because it meets the orbital mid way and thus spreads traffic either way east-west and not just a CBD focus as the old F6 corridor blatantly was. Most of it has moved forward quite well by stealth although the new Alfords Point bridge is hard to miss! They might even get away with slipping a road in along Salt Pan Ck east of Davies Rd to avoid the lights and built up area there. But the big one will be a link from Bangor across the Woronora to south of Heathcote - this will bring out the greenies in swarms like the F3 link!

IMO this is the RTA's thinking. Have you seen anything in print that might support this theory?

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Tbh, not really - I thought it was more roadgeek fantasy than anything concrete (lol).

Alfords Point Bridge duplication probably helps your cause, but the at-grade Bangor Bypass doesn't and the Heathcote Road obstacle is the killer. That said, I might just note that topic down for further research at State Records - see if I can see what corridors have been investigated in the past.

Imho, the Menai-Sutherland route is looking more like a "Southern Arterial", although the indirect route around Sutherland is a problem.

·
Perpetual Bohemian
4,108 Posts
^^
Yes I share those thoughts. But I know the RTA are opportunists, they will certainly have been talking internally about these things but how much has gone onto paper I wouldn't know. Possibly not much as the old F6 inner corridor has been the official route until recently (and probably still is in Costa's mind!). Re the at-grade intersections the RTA may accept semi-motorway conditions provided no built-up properties front/access the road. Even Waterfall is pretty much acceptable under this standard. The present Sutherland route certainly is not.

If they finally give up on the old F6 corridor I look forward to at least one bit of Christie's scheme being realised one day and the Cronulla line linking up through Ramsgate to Sydenham!

·
Registered
583 Posts
^^ @ Cruise maybe you should come to Brisbane to have a look
the busway actually increased the use of public transport usage in Brisbane
when they completed the project, they predicted it would take around 10 years or something to get over the capacity
but, its only been less than 5 years and it has already reached it

the busway i believe is only a short term solution, i hope the QLD government will replace it with light rail or something. either over the busway or maybe under it

·
derp
10,274 Posts
On one hand I want to hear historyworks explain how the busway failed to "attract" public transport patronage because it wasn't rail-based transport, but on the other hand...ah **** it, give us your best shot mate ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
After spending 6 weeks in Europe recently, my eyes really opened up to the fact that we really do have a big traffic congestion problem on our hands. Sure Europe has traffic jams that completly out way anything in Australia (I saw many traffic jams that were over 30k's long on the motorways). But the reason for that is they have smaller roads and have a much much larger population. We in Australia have bigger roads with a smaller population and still have congestion issues.
We rely to much on commuting in cars and you realise how many more cars we have here on our roads compared to Europe.
Our governments should get off their backsides and start implementing some real PT like underground metro's that most European cities have. Heck if cities like London and Budapest could do it in the late 1800's then we can too, we just need our governments to take some action.

Our cities are far better to anything in Europe in regards to livability, but the one thing that we lack in comparing our cities to European cities is PT as they are miles ahead.

·
Premium Member
19,363 Posts
Our cities are far better to anything in Europe in regards to livability, but the one thing that we lack in comparing our cities to European cities is PT as they are miles ahead.
That's highly subjective. Considering many European cities are cited as being more livable than Australian on multiple surveys means nothing (not that I buy into the surveys anyway).

In my opinion, European cities are more livable, but again, it's all purely subjective.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That's highly subjective. Considering many European cities are cited as being more livable than Australian on multiple surveys means nothing (not that I buy into the surveys anyway).

In my opinion, European cities are more livable, but again, it's all purely subjective.
I'm just use to living here I suppose. Australia just seems safer and cleaner to me, though our way of life or culture is dull compared to Europe. I suppose everybody has there own way of interpreting livability.
I never pay attention to those silly surveys anymore there seems to be one that comes out monthly these days that gives conflicting results.
Anyway I'm getting a bit off topic.

·
Perpetual Bohemian
4,108 Posts
On one hand I want to hear historyworks explain how the busway failed to "attract" public transport patronage because it wasn't rail-based transport, but on the other hand...ah **** it, give us your best shot mate ;) :lol:
Queenslanders are a race apart ckf!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
They're all going from the airport to Byron Bay via the roundabout at Ballina Kmart.
Ummmm you are going the wrong way.......

Most of the tourists isn't Byron Bay or nimby's around here. Don't start with me with your silly judgement. My point was B.A.L.L.I.N.A tourism. Not Byron Bay. Byron Bay is only 25mins away. Are you confused yourself?? Appears to be so.

EDIT: Oh BTW the traffic isn't just on that part, mostly along the highway south-north bounds, River Street, Coast Road, Southern Cross Drive and Cherry Street. Byron Bay tourism doesn't exist in here. Its OVER at Byron Bay actually. As if few tourists go by the airport to get to Byron Bay goes via Bangalow Road/Kerr Street old nasty roundabout (soon to be lights) towards the Angles Beach Drive to Lennox Head.

1 - 20 of 299 Posts