SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
52,822 Posts
map of the BENELUX

Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg.

I live in Zwolle, which is located in the Eastern province of Overijssel, with some 115.000 inhabitants.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
What do you think about road maps ? Which one do you prefer ? :) Personaly I prefer Marco Polo ones, how accurate they are, you can post photos of them as well :cheers:

·
R21
681 Posts
I prefer Michelin maps but I would like to expand the Europe Atlas coverage to Eastern Europe as all other publishers do.

·
52,822 Posts
I like the Michelin maps, and i have various road atlases. Ik can make a pic of it later. I also have some United States Rand McNally Road Atlases.

·
52,822 Posts
The RandMcnally Road atlases are good for state navigation, however, they use the same layout on street atlases (I have a New York street atlas), and that doesn't look that good on that scale.

A major problem with RandMcNally atlases is that they don't color the CDP's (Census Designated Places) as urban, while they can contain tens of thousand of people, but they are not incorporated as a town or city. This especially is a problem around Houston and Washington, I noticed. It makes the area look rural on the map, while in fact, it's all build-up area.
This typically occurs at agglomeration and city maps.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I prefer Google Maps instead. Accurate, up to date, and free.

Now in only they can stop indicating the Trans Canada Highway as a freeway its entire length...

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The 2009 Rand McNally Road Atlas is out and it is inaccurate, especially in Texas and Alabama.

·
IsraCanadian :)
1,357 Posts
I think it depends on where people are from. It seems that Europeans prefer to use Michelin, but I think for North America, Google Maps is probably currently the most popular.

I used to use Google Maps to plan all of my trips (although I've never gone on very long trips by myself yet), but right now I have my Garmin GPS and I love it. It exceeded my expectations of it. I find that thing often simply remarkable :)

Microsoft's Live Maps is also comparable to Google Maps, although not as popular I think. One thing that Microsoft recently introduced that gives it an edge is the bird's eye photos, which were there for a long time, but only recently appeared for Toronto. No regular satellite pictures can match the quality and detail. However, this doesn't really have much to do with maps, and I still prefer Google for my mapping needs.

·
52,822 Posts
The 2009 Rand McNally Road Atlas is out and it is inaccurate, especially in Texas and Alabama.
Wow, I thought those came in like September. I really need to order one :D

I wish I could find a detailed Chinese road atlas.
Me too. Though the roads are developing at such a pace there, that after the atlas comes onto the market, it's immediatly aged. :lol:

·
If I could be anyone...
2,550 Posts
We use AAA maps, since my dad is a member, we get three replacement sets every year or so :D

But those are for back up now, we have a GPS

·
52,822 Posts
At the bottom right of my pic is an "large print" AAA Atlas, but I think it's no good. Not detailed enough. Also far thinner than the Rand McNally Large Print Atlas.

·
Islander
23,577 Posts
I've always liked Hallwag, but it has gone bankrupt, I think. Their paper was good, durable. Previously (in the 1990's) I'd buy many Freytag&Berndt maps; nice colors, but too thin paper that could easily tear up. For cities I use Kunth FlexiMap. I also must say that EuroMap is one big crap. :D But since all these online maps, I don't buy many maps any more. Of maps you can find on the Internet, I like Map24 (but these guys are constantly screwing around with us! :no:), ViaMichelin and Google maps (also in Google Earth; quite accurate). For roads of the whole world (places that usually aren't covered, like Asia, Africa etc.), the best I know is Falk. :cheers:

I wish I could find a detailed Chinese road atlas.
Me too. Though the roads are developing at such a pace there, that after the atlas comes onto the market, it's immediatly aged. :lol:
I have maps of every damn Chinese province. :D

1 - 20 of 293 Posts