1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
After labour cancelled this one its now back on the cards.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/wellington-northern-corridor/otaki-to-north-of-levin/

Not clear yet though if its going to be Four-lane or Two-Lane.
It'll be 4 lanes...

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/planning-and-investment/nz-upgrade/wellington-package/otaki-to-north-of-levin/

The talk about "Investigations will look at opportunities to prioritise freight, public transport and vehicles carrying multiple people." is simply a sop to the Greens,

The amount of Public Transport ( i.e buses between Levin and Otaki ) is one per day, and Trucks usually use the left hand lane anyway...

HOVs make sense on Urban roads, not intercity highways...

The other factor in favour of 4 lanes, is that it won't open until 2029, which is 3 ( or potentially 4) elections away, at some point in the future the blue team will get the treasury benches back....

·
Registered
640 Posts
it looks as if the road starts just to the north of Otaki. Would be so much better if it bypassed Otaki and across the river.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
it looks as if the road starts just to the north of Otaki. Would be so much better if it bypassed Otaki and across the river.
it joins to the end of the Otaki to Peka Peka expressway, which while going through the backside of Otaki, is fully grade separated,

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So stoked about this expressway.

What happens next? Levin to Sanson, or Levin to Palmerston North?

In my view it would make more sense to have a new SH1 via Palmerston North (current SH56) as that road is far busier than current SH1 Levin to Sanson. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
So stoked about this expressway.

What happens next? Levin to Sanson, or Levin to Palmerston North?

In my view it would make more sense to have a new SH1 via Palmerston North (current SH56) as that road is far busier than current SH1 Levin to Sanson. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future.
Traffic wise SH1 traffic is usually pretty good north of Levin, so I can't see much call to keep going north at the present,

I Think the next leg will be toward Palmy , to link up with the new Tararua road, and also the future Palmy Ring road that will allow access to the new Kiwirail distribution yard.

The big question then is do you look to build an expressway out to Sanson and make that the SH1 route to Wellington,

·
Registered
824 Posts
The intent is to move toward Palmy which is why they diverted east not west around Levin, however first they need to fix the Sand Hills Expressway AGAIN! One lane at McKays and one lane at Paraparaumu. Shonky job! Fingers crossed there will not be a repeat of this shambles on Transmission Gully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts