SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good news for this road.
Its about time something was done about this death trap.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/65173565/Residents-hail-upgrade-for-highway

Residents living along one of Wellington's most dangerous highways - the narrow and winding State Highway 58 running from the Hutt Valley to Plimmerton - are welcoming the start of a $30 million upgrade project.

The project is set to begin tomorrow on the first section - a $2.5m realignment of the section between Harris and Mt Cecil roads where the speed limit has been cut to 50kmh. Contractors Fulton Hogan are expected to take five months to finish the section.

The project involves cutting eight metres into the southern side of the hill to straighten the curve, removing a passing lane, installing a 700m wire rope safety barrier, drainage improvements, and a 1.5m shoulder to make the road safer for cyclists.

New Zealand Transport Agency Wellington highways manager Rod James said the road works might cause delays, and he appealed to road users to be patient.

Mt Cecil resident Jo McCready said people living along the road were delighted that work was finally starting.

But they were anxious to ensure they would be able to turn onto or get off the road through gaps in the median barrier.

There were a lot of side roads along the highway, and provision had to be made for cars and big trucks to safely get on and off it.

NZTA plans to spend $30m over the next three years on the road between SH2 and Transmission Gully.

This will involve further curve realignments, a reduction in the speed limit from 100 to 80kmh, more than 7km of wire rope barrier and a roundabout at the Moonshine Rd intersection.

James said the agency planned to share the results of public feedback on its plans early next month. "While these wider safety improvements are now progressing through design, we have been able to start work on this section early in parallel with the draining improvement works that are part of this year's maintenance programme," he said.

A new interchange to replace the traffic lights at the intersection of SH58 and SH2 is also planned. Subject to funding, work is expected to start on that within the next six months.

There have been 156 crashes, four of them fatal, between Haywards Hill and the Pauatahanui Roundabout in the past five years.

The last to die on the road was Richard van der Linden, 28, of Upper Hutt, whose car collided with an out of control truck in February last year.

Upper Hutt Mayor Wayne Guppy said that the proposed safety improvements were long overdue.

·
Merit Man
173 Posts
The most unnerving part of that road is around the bays where you have an open shot into the harbour if you slip off.

Understandable with the upgrade, gully will be driving straight through it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Transmission Gully will see a lot more traffic using this stretch of road, so its good that something is being done prior to this increased use,

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Construction to begin on new $43m Haywards Interchange in Hutt Valley

It's time to wave goodbye to those pesky traffic lights that have slowed down your journey between Wellington and Upper Hutt.

Construction will kick off in a matter of weeks on a new interchange at the intersection of State Highways 2 and 58 where motorists currently spend a large chunk of their daily commute camped in large queues at traffic lights.

The $43 million Haywards Interchange will be the biggest roading project undertaken in the Hutt Valley for some years.

Once complete in about two years' time, it will look similar to the Dowse interchange, which was finished in 2010.

It will essentially be an elevated roundabout with a new "park and ride" car park for Manor Park railway station and a pedestrian bridge linking the two. New cycleways heading both north and south will be built on either side.

The main benefit of the interchange is that it will remove the troublesome SH2-SH58 intersection, meaning traffic using SH2 will no longer have to give way to those using the Haywards Hill Rd between Hutt Valley and Porirua.

The large queues of traffic that form there, particularly during peak times, make it a safety hazard. Between 2009 and 2013 it was the site of 119 crashes.

Neil Walker, the New Zealand Transport Agency's Wellington highways manager, said the new Haywards Interchange would provide motorists with a safer and less frustrating journey between the capital and Hutt Valley.

"People who use this intersection frequently will know that it can be a real bottleneck, and that there's also a number of crashes and near misses when drivers get impatient or make mistakes," he said.

"This project will effectively put those problems behind us."

Cyclists using SH2 would also no longer have to cross traffic lanes when passing through the intersection, he said.

"This is more than just a roading project. All travellers will benefit, whether you're taking the train, hopping on a bike, or getting behind the wheel."

Upper Hutt Mayor Wayne Guppy said the Haywards Interchange would provide another major gateway into the Hutt Valley, alongside the future Transmission Gully motorway.

"It's a significant project for the users of SH58 and SH2 – not only in safety terms, but also in travel times from the Wairarapa and Upper Hutt into Wellington city."

Preparatory work on the new interchange will begin next week, ahead of construction beginning in a few weeks' time
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/72433003/construction-to-begin-on-new-43m-haywards-interchange-in-hutt-valley.html

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Looks like NZTA originally designed it so to allow for the removal of the manor park level crossing, but I guess KR decided against funding that part, hence the ramps and curves down to the existing level crossing,

Also the fact they can find funding to build such a major interchange here, gives hope that a similar grade seperation will happen at Melling...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I like how they are putting a cycleway, park & ride as well as a pedestrian overpass in. Everyone wins here.

·
Kiwi in London
622 Posts
Looks like NZTA originally designed it so to allow for the removal of the manor park level crossing, but I guess KR decided against funding that part
:bash: Such an oversight on this project. Great to see the interchange finally get sign off but they really should have included a bridge over the railway. The less level crossings in this world the better.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
:bash: Such an oversight on this project. Great to see the interchange finally get sign off but they really should have included a bridge over the railway. The less level crossings in this world the better.
I agree with you on that, and least make a segment over onto the road so that there are less accidents. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
16 Posts
The new temporary road through to Manor Park is open now. I drove to Manor Park last night and they've clearly got some work to do smoothing out the phasing on the new light set up. Traffic heading north was backed up to the first entrance to Hebden at rush hour.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I can only assume those who will be using it will understand it. Surely NZTA can't say hand on heart that this is the best possible design.
Considering there is a huge hill right next to SH2 there really was not much else they could do. I like the way they are integrating cycleway, park & ride and train station access. My only gripe is that they did not extend the bridge over the Hutt river/railway. It really should have linked to Eastern Hutt Rd. That would have made it perfect. I guess there is always an option to do this at a later date though.

Now we need some solutions for Melling Rd, and Fairway Dr. That should turn SH2 into a near complete expressway.

·
Wellingpalmyan
881 Posts
Considering there is a huge hill right next to SH2 there really was not much else they could do. I like the way they are integrating cycleway, park & ride and train station access. My only gripe is that they did not extend the bridge over the Hutt river/railway. It really should have linked to Eastern Hutt Rd. That would have made it perfect. I guess there is always an option to do this at a later date though.

Now we need some solutions for Melling Rd, and Fairway Dr. That should turn SH2 into a near complete expressway.

Pretty sure they're cooking something up for Melling. They also need to ease that tight corner coming into Petone. I don't go to the Hutt often so it always takes me by surprise. Who's expecting a 55kmh corner on what's basically a full motorway?

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/sh2-melling-intersection-improvements/

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Pretty sure they're cooking something up for Melling. They also need to ease that tight corner coming into Petone. I don't go to the Hutt often so it always takes me by surprise. Who's expecting a 55kmh corner on what's basically a full motorway?
Melling is several degrees more complicated as will involve a completely new bridge over the Hutt River, ( the current one is a major flow constriction of Hutt river flood and a risk to flooding upstream of the bridge)

Petone will get solved with the Petone to Grenada link road, which will remove the existing (and likely earthquake prone) bridges as part of a new interchange

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/projects/petone-grenada-link-road/docs/faq-petone-interchange.pdf

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/sh2-melling-intersection-improvements/
Yes that tight corner coming into Petone needs to be fixed.

Then there is the problem of no flyover from SH2 (going south), onto SH1 going North. They really need to do something about that. Not nice taking the exit off SH2 then waiting at those pesky lights just to go north. I have noticed lots of working going on in that area. Who knows, maybe they are planning something?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yes that tight corner coming into Petone needs to be fixed.

Then there is the problem of no flyover from SH2 (going south), onto SH1 going North. They really need to do something about that. Not nice taking the exit off SH2 then waiting at those pesky lights just to go north. I have noticed lots of working going on in that area. Who knows, maybe they are planning something?
Again, somthing that gets significantly fixed/eliminated by using the P2G link road,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts