Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me, is there in your countries such traditions. In that place on a road where the driver was killed, usually installed headstone or the Christian cross. In Russia, this phenomenon is quite popular since the mid 80's. What do you think about these traditions? Do you have pictures of this?

·
Resident Smartass.
687 Posts
I know the US State of Montana puts up crosses with the number of persons killed. It also used to be done along the Alaska Highway but was discontinued in the 60's I think, because the Govt. felt it gave the route a bad rap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Russia relatives of the victims set the headstone as on a graveyard. Caring for the cenotaph as for a real graves.Some monuments have a height of a man.

Monument at the place of death in a car accident of famous hockey player Valeri Kharlamov.

Monument at the place of death in a car accident Gypsy singer Sandor.

·
53,981 Posts
You need to get a permit to install a small remembrance monument along any road in the Netherlands.

This is very Dutch. It won't be long before you need a permit to get a permit for permission to do something.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
In Brazil is very common the christian crosses.

·
12,728 Posts
You can also see crosses on Romanian roads.

·
Another RussianDatingScam
308 Posts
Russia is a very religious country, that combined with high number of accidents makes these memorials common.

I have visited Russia many times and death is very present, people die all the time in accidents, murders, violence and because of illness, so the people is used to see deceased people, but in Scandinavia these type of memorials would be regarded as macabre.

I also saw a road chapel in Belgium near the town of Sippenaeken. But I don't think this was because anyone was killed there.

In Sweden: atheist-country with few accidents no memorials along the road, but people sometimes put out flowers at the spot of leathal traffic-accidents.

I watched program from Georgia where they have put a vodkaglass at the memorial so you can have a drink to honor the victims.

Usually you don't show the faces of the dead on the graves in Sweden, but nowadays it's getting more common because of immigration from other countries where it is tradition.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I also saw a road chapel in Belgium near the town of Sippenaeken. But I don't think this was because anyone was killed there.
Those chapels can be found near a lot of roads and you can light candles there. I think they're probably on pilgrimage routes or something.

The most crosses that I've ever seen were in Poland and Lithuania by the way. In Poland you can see a cross almost every 5km on any road.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I would say that it used to be common in Serbia to see such stuff next to local or less important roads. Small improvised plates carved out in marble or stone, with placeholder for candle, or so.
There's one on the local road to the village of my father that dates from 1980ties, with photo of a guy. Just from the other side of the road, there's a second one for a guy who had accident there in 1990ties.

However, these things aren't ultra common or popular, but yes, you can see some, here and there, new ones appearing even today.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts