SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Nice, I do think we need more road side rest area's in Australia. When I drove around Europe they were all over their motorways, but obviously they have denser populations, more heavy transport on their motorways and stricter trucking laws.

I've noticed a couple of 'laybys' or rest areas as their known in Australia along the Eastlink tollway in Melbourne, this is a very good idea, I often see large trucks parked in it. It can be difficult at times for a truck to get off a motorway and find sufficient space to park up the truck.

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
The Hume Highway south of Sydney have them at regular intervals, and there are a few service centres too (servo and Maccas usually), at Pheasants Nest south of Campbelltown, and Sutton Forest and Marulan between Mittagong and Goulburn. It is necessitated given that it would be one of the busiest highways in Australia, with a large number of trucks using it. There are even a few on the Federal Highway to Canberra (just rest areas though, including one at Lake George).

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
The Hume Highway south of Sydney have them at regular intervals, and there are a few service centres too (servo and Maccas usually), at Pheasants Nest south of Campbelltown, and Sutton Forest and Marulan between Mittagong and Goulburn. It is necessitated given that it would be one of the busiest highways in Australia, with a large number of trucks using it.
The Hume isn't short of a freeway service centre - Pheasants Nest, Sutton Forest, Marulan, Goulburn, Yass, both sides of Gundagai, Glenrowan, a couple around the Seymour area IIRC.

There are even a few on the Federal Highway to Canberra (just rest areas though, including one at Lake George).
And in the tradition of naming bridges, each rest area from Sydney to Canberra via the Hume & Federal Hwys is named in honour of servicemen who have received the Victoria Cross medal.

In my travels through SA last year, I didn't notice (recall) many roadside rest areas (maybe a couple around the Coorong on the Princes Hwy). As a non-local though, I am probably blind...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts