SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 527 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rob Ford's transit plan is, imo, devastating to the city of Toronto. Here is the link to the plan:
http://www.robfordformayor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Transportation-Plan4.pdf
He proposes scrapping Transit City and instead extending the Sheppard Subway to Scarborough. Instead of building several new transit lines that would vastly improve mobility in the city, attract tens of thousands of new transit riders, and spur vast TOD development all along the routes (even if they are LRT), he proposed building a much costlier heavy real extension through a relatively low-density suburban area where not only is there not much demand for a heavy rail line, but zoning (not to mention nimbyism) would prevent any real development from happening. He also proposes ripping up the tracks that have already started to be laid for the Sheppard East LRT, scrapping Transit City and thereby returning the $8.6 billion dollars allocated to the Transit agency for the project by the Ontario government, as well as cutting many (although he hasn't specified which) of the existing streetcar lines. What the hell?

·
Agenda 21 Advocate
4,151 Posts
From the pdf.

Streetcars are not the answer to Toronto’s transit needs
To attract drivers into transit, it must be comfortable, convenient, affordable, reliable and rapid. Streetcars are none of these things. Streetcars are slow (average speed: 17km/h) and take hours to travel across town. This limits your ability to live in one part of the city and work in another. Streetcar construction destroys streets and interrupts businesses. Streetcar lines down the centre of arterial roads increase gridlock and create pollution.
Yes, and building more freeways and roads will clearly not destroy streets, interrupt businesses, increase gridlock and create pollution. :eek:hno:

Also, thank the stars that Baltimore escaped a similar fate.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
I'm sure no one is advocating freeways and roads here. The discussion is about one form of transit vs another, and how current plans are proposing all the wrong kinds in all the wrong places, for political reasons.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Rob's war on streetcars!!!

I love cars. I have my "G" license. I've been driving for almost 10 years. The vehicle registration tax needs to go, but can someone please explain to me Rob's odd obsession with catering and bringing more cars into the downtown core? How are we going to benefit from this?

Re-paving and keeping roads in good condition is one thing, but ripping up public transit to cater to drivers is another.

We will complete the Sheppard Avenue Line as a subway line. This
will include 12 km of new track and up to 10 new stations between
Downsview and Scarborough Town Centre. Cost: $3 Billion"
Completed by 2015 and only 3 billion dollars? laughable! He will fail miserably at this and it will cost him a second term. If you don't believe me, screen cap this comment and save it for 2014. :banana:

The only thing I like about his plan is getting the TTC to use the Presto card. I'm assuming thats what he means when he talks about brining smart card technology to the TTC.

·
Agenda 21 Advocate
4,151 Posts
The map looks like it will miss the places where the subway would be most useful.

Unfortunately, if he gets rid of streetcars, this will result in congestion on the subway system and on the buses, as there would be no other form of public transport to share some of the passenger load.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The streetcars are staying. The City spent millions to upgrade, and rebuild the network, and we have 204 new streetcar arriving in a few years.

Keep in mind, Ford is only one man. He has to deal with the Toronto council to get things done, and the front-runners for the TTC chair seem to be reasonable, they get it that plans should not be scrapped when new politicians take power.

Ford did not come up with the plan himself. Whoever devised the plan looked at this plan for insight:

http://www.gettorontomoving.ca/Subways.html

If you read the plan, and site, this party is clearly against surface rail transit in any form.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The streetcars are staying. The City spent millions to upgrade, and rebuild the network, and we have 204 new streetcar arriving in a few years.

Keep in mind, Ford is only one man. He has to deal with the Toronto council to get things done, and the front-runners for the TTC chair seem to be reasonable, they get it that plans should not be scrapped when new politicians take power.

Ford did not come up with the plan himself. Whoever devised the plan looked at this plan for insight:

http://www.gettorontomoving.ca/Subways.html

If you read the plan, and site, this party is clearly against surface rail transit in any form.
Where do all you people who are against cars and freeways live? I live on St.Clair and Keele area, and I despise the LRT mess they made over here. There is so much traffic now as oppose to the way it was, and cars idling is suppose to help the environment? Streetcars are horrible! Subways are much more reliable, less time consuming and don't make traffic on city streets. How can you argue with Ford's plan? Miller and his buddies took away lanes for cars to put bike lanes which are always empty as compared to the car lanes, really all you people attacking someone who makes sense, why because he is conservative... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Where do all you people who are against cars and freeways live? I live on St.Clair and Keele area, and I despise the LRT mess they made over here.
The 512 St. Clair is NOT LRT. It's a streetcar in it's own reserved right of way. I live at St. Clair/ Bathurst, and the streetcar is much more reliable than before the ROW.

There is so much traffic now as oppose to the way it was, and cars idling is suppose to help the environment? Streetcars are horrible! Subways are much more reliable, less time consuming and don't make traffic on city streets. The How can you argue with Ford's plan?
The streetcars are not the cause of congestion at St. Clair and Keele. The big box retail, and all the new homes in the area are the cause. The point of the ROW was to get streetcars out of the congestion, and I say it has been successful in that regard. You cannot say streetcars are the cause of congestion, when the streetcars do not compete with traffic anymore along the corridor.
You're never going to see a subway on St. Clair, ever, and Ford said he is not going to suspend service on St. Clair because of the ROW.
Subways are reliable if they are run reliably. You're falling into the technology trap. Toronto's subway lines are prone to delays, and bunching too.

Ford's plan totally ignores the northwest part of the city, give one part of the city far more capacity that it will ever need, proposes building 2 new subway lines in 4 years, using funds that are already allocated to York Region for their busways, favours scrapping streetcars to "save" money, when it will cost hundreds of millions to rip out the tracks, buy new buses, build new garages, possibly train extra drivers, because it requires at least 2 buses to replace one streetcar, and proposes to raise money using "air" rights over stations, even though most developers would simply purchase land near stations to develop. And now that Mr. Ford is elected, he denies saying he will scrap the streetcars, and looks to be backing down from stopping Transit City. I can go on, if you want.

Miller and his buddies took away lanes for cars to put bike lanes which are always empty as compared to the car lanes, really all you people attacking someone who makes sense, why because he is conservative... :eek:hno:
Oh god, you're just another Ford supporter who has no clue what he saying. The elections over, your man won, and he already breaking promises. Give it a rest already. For the record, the city posted a $275million surplus. Gotta love the gravy train, eh? And I just noticed that was your first post. Trolling? Not going to work here.
Since you love freeways so much, why not live near one? Easier access, right?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well as we all know this plan was his first lie to his voters, and the streetcars stay. Yay!
I know that the streetcars will almost certainly stay, especially since the deal has been made for the new cars, but i'm very worried about the effects this could have on Transit City. Is this just another false promise (as if it were positive) or will it be carried out?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It's fairly certain the funded portions of Transit City may be built as planned. There is no way Ford will be able to build subways in4 years. It's simply not possible.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Transit city was David Millers mistake. It would be a good thing if Rob Ford could scrape as many of the streetcar plans as possible. Streetcars and ROW LRT cause traffic, hydrogen buses are the way to go. Cheers!

·
Blue Collar Bigwig
1,905 Posts
If everything works out, TC will be a go. It may not be the most efficient transit method, but any transit for Toronto is a step in the right direction (as long as it's not Ford's miserable excuse for a subway plan).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
This subway plan does not even help Scarborough much. I do not understand why STC is considered a major destination for travellers. It's just a large transfer point, and 2 subways is not going to improve anything, other than saving riders a few extra minutes.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, Rob Ford seems for some reason to think that the entire GTA is centered on Scarborough Town Center. He also seems to think that forcing hundreds of thousands of transit and potential transit riders into single-occupancy vehicles will decrease traffic. He also seems to think removing bike lanes will lead to biking being more pleasant and viable. He also seems to think that paying back billions of dollars allocated for TC and streetcars is a good way to balance the budget. He also seems to think a multi-billion dollar 7-station subway line along a mostly sprawled out essentially suburban corridor is the top transit priority for the city right now. I could go on and on... His advanced form of logic really is quite confusing to us mere mortals:lol:

·
Blue Collar Bigwig
1,905 Posts
This subway plan does not even help Scarborough much. I do not understand why STC is considered a major destination for travellers. It's just a large transfer point, and 2 subways is not going to improve anything, other than saving riders a few extra minutes.
STC is the heart of Scarborough. Yes, it's just a transfer point. But it's not like there are any other significant destinations in the area.

1 - 20 of 527 Posts