Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
35,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i waited for him to make a thread but he hasnt so if anyone is interested, rob will be on the politics show on bbc1 a bit later which is filmed from the top floor of criterion place
its on from 12.00 to 1.00pm on bbc1.

·
35,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bbc yorkshire are doing a piece on tall buildings in yorkshire on the politics show. criterion place and city lofts in sheffield will be featured and rob, an ssc moderator will be talkng about tall buildings in yorkshire.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Yeah I know. It's a very nice building too. Its just not been built yet, so I was a bit confused as to how they can be filming from the top of it.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Just watched it. It was very Leeds focused, but they did talk to a Sheffield MP. It was quite interesting that he said he was more worried about all the lowrise buy-to-let flats than he was about highrises. Seems he was quite open to tall buildings aslong as they're good quality. I did notice that they put Spital Tower on to showcase what's getting built in Sheffield.

Also, saw you Rob. ;)

·
18,102 Posts
lol they would do; 'oh sheffield has some tallish building planned but its not official' kind of thing. when youre in leeds sheffield is just a little bug trying to eat away its ego lol

·
Laughing at the Pigs
967 Posts
I watched the programme and it made me have a closer look at the buildings going up in Leeds, I'm sorry but there building a lot of ugly buildings in Leeds, the 37 story student block is atrocious and the Opal tower is just hideious.Luminere is fine so is Critereon but I do think they've got a bit of a war on with the Mancs and there letting developers put up what they want.Thank god Sheffield council for all its faults does try to fit tall buildings into the appropriate places.

·
18,102 Posts
i like the shape of bridgewater place, but the silver bits of the cladding up the tower look really cheap and like a 70s vision of the future.

·
Laughing at the Pigs
967 Posts
It's not often I agree with a blade but I also think Bridgewater Place looks crap and definitely not classy.It is a terrible building and totally in the wrong place,it sticks out like a sore thumb:eek:hno:

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
It's not often I agree with a blade but I also think Bridgewater Place looks crap and definitely not classy.It is a terrible building and totally in the wrong place,it sticks out like a sore thumb:eek:hno:

I would agree with you if you have only seen BWP on TV. It looked particularly grey and uninspiring on the Politics show, but when you see it in the flesh particularly on a sunny day, it looks fantastic with its silver panels gleeming across the city. As for it sticking out like a sore thumb, BWP is the first of a whole cluster of skyscrapers in this area. It has been the catalist for the birth of skyscrapers in Leeds and I reckon Sheffield too. Although Leeds is showing thew way for higher skyscrapers and is battling against Manchester, I bet BWP helped Sheffield City Council to push plans through for City Lofts Tower, so your city could begin the race to reach for the skies!!

BWP will always go sdown in history as Yorkshires first skysraper, and for that alone, I love it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts