Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I am a huge fan of the site, a long time lurker and love checking your updates on what's happening around Melbourne.

I've been fascinated by Melbourne's history for a long time, especially Robert Hoddle's survey of Melbourne in 1837. This was the survey that set out Melbourne's city grid.

I'd love to start a discussion on what you all know about this survey, particularly how and why the government buildings were located where they are/were.

I find this a really interesting subject, especially when you consider that Melbourne was only founded around 170 years ago.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
You might find this book helpful:

Melbourne
The City’s History and Development

Miles Lewis
City of Melbourne
First published in 1995

In print

Commissioned by the City of Melbourne in 1992, this history forms s major part of the Central City Heritage Study which now provides a detailed information database of bibliographic material and city heritage features. The fascinating story of the growth of Melbourne as a city from settlement to the present day will increase awareness of the dynamic nature of city development in the light of contemporary social change. Using a thematic approach, architectural historian Liles Lewis examines how events, both local and international, influenced the way in which Melbourne grew and shaped the environment of the city as we know it today.

The best book you’ll find on the city’s development! :)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=271085

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
^^ what they said - bring some research to the table and teach us something!

I'd imagine that Parliament is located where it is as it is a high point of sorts 'in' the CBD. I woudl think it was deliberately located outside the Grid as some sort of comment on 'separation of powers' or similar...

When Melbourne was first built the yarra environs (where the MCG is now) and the Docklands area where both more or less swamplands. I think after the gold rush was when those areas were drained for use as parkland and the original port area...

I would have thought that Parliament probably would have been the dominant building in the City up to say 1900 at the top of Bourke (the central east/west road in the grid) and visible to the earliest suburbs to the north and east (Carlton/Fitzroy/East Melbourne)...

Also I guess the drainage aspect and being away from the Yarra pre 1900ish when Melbourne was known as Smellbourne might have helped too??

The major public buildings are quite spread out though. you've got:
- the two transport precincts at Southern Cross and Flinders Street which were located to provide for north/west and east/south transport movement respectiviely (without a linking viaduct at first).
- the legal precint north/west of CBD (along with the mint),
- parliament at east
- Library and Original museum north/central (as well as Old Melbourne Gaol)

none of those buildings are in proximity to the Yarra (aside from the transport links) which is probably due to these areas being full of warehousing/fishmongers/industrial type uses in the early development of Melbourne?

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Excellent, Culwulla ... one just has to wonder what happened to those "public buildings" around Bourke & Spencer.

For those who haven't noticed it, Stephen Street became Exhibition Street ... and the "Yarra Yarra" became just a "Yarra". Since as I understand it, "Yarra" means "flowing", perhaps we should delete the second "Yarra" as well.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Yardy those buildings might never have been built. that survey has set aside that space for public buildigns but the only buildings are those dotted around the place.

might be that it was set aside not sued for 10 years or whatever and then sold off to private investors.

also interesting to note that the 'Court House' is where St Pauls is now. and the 'reserve' at the corner of Lonsdale/William is now the Supreme Court.

also there is no 'Market Street' on the plan but the actual Market that lends its name to the street is there.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Sorry For old thread but could have started a new one with the same name.

I stood today on the top floor of a major eastern cbd building looking down upon Gods glory and the boulevards of victoria and albert rds.

The delineation between the beauty of Hoddle's Melbourne and the patheticness beyond the eponymous road was at its most stark.

I think he should be canonised, with Alannah Mactiernan and JJC Bradfield. Saints of our field.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts