SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts

Slattocks is this area Ed, between Castleton and Middleton. There is a possibility for a railway station, maybe next to the golf club as well? Kill two birds with one stone (not the birds in the zoo, obviously). There is a lot of greenery around here, however a lot of it is being linked to housing/industry under Burnham’s Manchester Plan.

It’s amazing news I just hope it comes to fruition. Morally I’m undecided on zoo’s, but it’ll be a great attraction for Greater Manchester’s leisure seekers.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Exciting stuff, I don't know the area well but I wonder where the site is.

The new rail station at Slattocks should be integral to this if it is to attract tourists. People visiting Manchester will likely be near the centre, they won't be interested in a zoo which they have to drive to.
I'm sure I read something about a potential 'orbital' metrolink route, linking Bury & Middleton/Oldham. Potential to integrate something into this.

edit:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/its-start-what-could-bigger-17723816

·
Registered
692 Posts
Can’t see a station at slattocks given that there’s mills hill and castleton in such close proximity and even if the zoo is built that side of HH can’t see there’ll be enough to justify another rail stop. 100 acres is massive but that land around HH stretches the distance between midd down to hollins and Langley, hopwood at Heywood and castleton bordered by the m62. A link road to J18 would be my guess.

·
10th February 2008
55,146 Posts
Great news.

Another fantastic leisure attraction to add to Gtr Manchester’s list, if it happens?

Hopefully the Ryder Cup standard Golf Course in Bolton proposed by Peel will happen? Dragging on now.

Such a shame the proposed Manchester Horse Race Course in Salford proposed by Peel never happened.

Just need a bloody big amusement park to rival Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

We’re getting a beach at Therme at Trafford City.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A ZOO? Is 2020, NOT 18 or 1920. Chester is not that far away, if must go to one, and am told IS among the very best in the world. Having been dragged to the joke that is Sydney Zoo, only a few months ago, from my faint memories of Chester,that MUST be so...Unless they can match them why bother?

·
Registered
570 Posts
A ZOO? Is 2020, NOT 18 or 1920. Chester is not that far away, if must go to one, and am told IS among the very best in the world. Having been dragged to the joke that is Sydney Zoo, only a few months ago, from my faint memories of Chester,that MUST be so...Unless they can match them why bother?
If you think Taronga Zoo is a joke, you should go to Berlin Zoo, it is horrific. I went to Berlin Pride event in the Zoo, I thought it would be held inside a pavilion, but no, it was outside. Loud music disturbing the animals and pissed up idiots wandering around the cages chucking beer at them was something I never wish to see again. Not do I want to see an isolated bear rocking back and forth on a barren rock inside an open enclosure.

As for Taronga at Sydney, from the BBC website which looks to the ethics of Zoos https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50681771

..... "He names seven species that he says would be extinct without Taronga's intervention: the Bellinger River turtle, the Lister's gecko, the Christmas Island blue-tailed skink, the Northern Corroboree frog, the Southern Corroboree frog, the yellow-spotted bell frog, the Booroolong frog."

Also "Sydney's 103-year-old Taronga Zoo is widely considered a leader in everything positive a zoo can be - promoting conservation, education, and animal welfare"

If Zoos can save animals from extinction and eventually reintroduce them, then at least something good comes from them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Animals look so depressed or bewildered in zoos, seems a backward step.
Better than having to worry about having your home displaced by palm oil plantations in Indonesia or cleared in the Amazon to raise beef for Mc Donalds or having Tiger bones ground down for chinese medicine and all the rest of the illegal trafficking in animals.
Pangolin scales look better on a Pangolin.

·
Registered
13,354 Posts
Better than having to worry about having your home displaced by palm oil plantations in Indonesia or cleared in the Amazon to raise beef for Mc Donalds or having Tiger bones ground down for chinese medicine and all the rest of the illegal trafficking in animals.
Pangolin scales look better on a Pangolin.
Zoos are part of the above, they are animals as a marketable commodity and they are on their way out.

·
Geek (of many things)
15,832 Posts
I don't think it will be a zoo with Lions and Elephants etc, I think it will be more a nature reserve. It mentions animals found in Manchester (so otters, birds of prey etc). In Norden there used to be The Owl Sanctuary. I could see something like that on a much large scale. The website also mentions it's working with a conservation society in Madagasgar. I personally think this will be less about cage carnivores and more about conservation.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Zoos are part of the above, they are animals as a marketable commodity and they are on their way out.
Have you a better idea to ensure the survival of the Earth's animals?
Ensuring a strong diverse gene pool and captive breeding for release into the wild are a couple of reasons why I favour zoos.
Vulnerable animal populations can be wiped out by disease so better to have a backup breeding population in zoos, at least having the public paying to gawk at the animals will go some way to paying the bills.
In an ideal world we wouldn't need zoos but with increased pressure on land to feed the world animals lose out, we don't have a good track record when it comes to saving species from extinction because of greed.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't think it will be a zoo with Lions and Elephants etc, I think it will be more a nature reserve. It mentions animals found in Manchester (so otters, birds of prey etc). In Norden there used to be The Owl Sanctuary. I could see something like that on a much large scale. The website also mentions it's working with a conservation society in Madagasgar. I personally think this will be less about cage carnivores and more about conservation.
I think that he has mentioned more exotic species.
You don't tend to find animals in cramped cages these days, I enjoyed a visit to Monkey World in Dorset, a lot of the animals were rescued and from labs and were housed in large natural enclosures.
I wouldn't condone keeping animals in cramped inhumane conditions.

·
Geek (of many things)
15,832 Posts
I think that he has mentioned more exotic species.
You don't tend to find animals in cramped cages these days, I enjoyed a visit to Monkey World in Dorset, a lot of the animals were rescued and from labs and were housed in large natural enclosures.
I wouldn't condone keeping animals in cramped inhumane conditions.
Exotic doesn't mean lions and elephants.

Lions are still in cages no matter how big they are. Never mentioned anything about them being cramped.

I live in the area and know it very well so have an idea of where the zoo will be.

Perhaps re-read my comment again. You'll see it's very similar to what you've just said. Here it is to remind you. I've highlighted to make sure.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Exotic doesn't mean lions and elephants.

Lions are still in cages no matter how big they are. Never mentioned anything about them being cramped.

I live in the area and know it very well so have an idea of where the zoo will be.

Perhaps re-read my comment again. You'll see it's very similar to what you've just said. Here it is to remind you. I've highlighted to make sure.
Going off what is on their facebook site and website the initial stock of animals are of the smaller variety and native species and in fact they have a number of species already off site waiting for the zoo to open, like it or not larger animals are also coming to your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
13,354 Posts
Have you a better idea to ensure the survival of the Earth's animals?
Ensuring a strong diverse gene pool and captive breeding for release into the wild are a couple of reasons why I favour zoos.
Vulnerable animal populations can be wiped out by disease so better to have a backup breeding population in zoos, at least having the public paying to gawk at the animals will go some way to paying the bills.
In an ideal world we wouldn't need zoos but with increased pressure on land to feed the world animals lose out, we don't have a good track record when it comes to saving species from extinction because of greed.
zoos won't do that, animals are vulnerable in the wild due to human pressure on their habitat. that same pressure also applies to zoos themselves, the ones in Belle Vue didn't have a happy end. The only thing that will protect animals in the end is a massive reduction in humans.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts