SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 613 Posts

·
make it so...
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rochester Development News 3 died a premature death (R.I.P.) so i started a new thread.

@ susie: if you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, please do us a favor and refrain from posting. this thread is about rochester development not how much the city sucks. the city is fine, vent your frustations towards the assclowns in albany.

i got nuttin' but love for the ROC.

·
Mighty Mouse
1,345 Posts
Thank you for finally doing something about the lack of progress in our discussion board...so...anyone with anything to add about my idea on consolodation of services in monroe county?

·
registered boozer
1,209 Posts
thank you jman.

you know i wouldn't have a problem with the negative remarks if she would occasionally offer her opinion as to what a sensible solution would be. constructive criticism is more than welcome in my book.

if you are going to tear a place down then you need to offer some comparisons to other places, some ideas for what can be changed, and some support for the area as a whole.
i will certainly rip into rochester on occasion, and i think thats ok. bring the bad to the table with the good. but if you can't ever say anything nice, why say anything at all.

so whats the deal with the ferry sale?
i know there were some potential buyers here a few weeks ago. what happened? any news? i've been kind of busy this week so i haven't been following.

·
Mighty Mouse
1,345 Posts
Well apparently there is a group that wants to purchase the ferry, but first will take a "test drive" before they sink that much money into this white elephant

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
There was an article that said the British weren't going to "Lose sleep over Rochester". I hate to say it, but they do have a point. They were very interested in buying the ferry a month ago, but Rochester kind of gave them the cold shoulder or whatever and now the British might not buy it.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
AHEM. I seem to recall a certain someone talking about real estate in the Rochester area a while ago as horrible and on the way down. I think they were wrong:

Local house sales soar in March

David Tyler
Staff writer

(April 14, 2006) — After showing signs of slowing in the first two months of the year, a torrid March has put Rochester-area house sales back ahead of 2005's record pace.

Real estate agents closed on sales of 947 existing single-family houses in March, a 12 percent increase over the same month a year ago, and 43 percent better than February. Perhaps as important, the number of houses listed for sale continues to grow. There were 2,213 homes on the market in March, a 22 percent increase over March 2005, according to the Greater Rochester Association of Realtors Inc.

Bob Miglioratti, chairman of the association, said the continued strength in real estate while other economic indicators struggle is "an anomaly that I haven't seen before."

"I don't have a good reason for it," he said. "I'm happy for it, but it's beyond our expectations."

Miglioratti said the mild winter may have sent buyers out house hunting earlier than usual. Concerns about whether interest rates might rise may have also pushed potential buyers to make a decision now, he said.

Jeff Scofield, a real estate agent with RealtyUSA's Rick Leasure Division in Pittsford, said he expects continued strong sales.

"I think honestly you'd have to get to 8 percent or 9 percent before buyers start to cool off a little bit," he said.

The association tracks sales in an 11-county area.

Through the end of February, closings were actually running just slightly behind the pace from a year ago. Now, they are 3 percent ahead of 2005's pace.

Activity was particularly strong in Monroe County and the city of Rochester, as well as Genesee and Livingston counties.

Prices are also rising. The median price of a house in the region was $104,000 in March, up 3 percent from the same month a year ago.

·
Mighty Mouse
1,345 Posts
This doesn't really have any news link or anything, but coming back from our family easter celebration in Corning there was signifigant development on 390 between the Lehigh Station Road exit and the Calkins Road overpass, looked like a few truck depot/wharehouse's and some kind of office or very large wharehouse, was interesting to see the three buildings all going up at the same time.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
This sounds pretty cool, I would love to take one of these tours. Why have I never heard about this before?

Cruises on river, canal take new direction this year

Corn Hill Navigation plans historical series, music and more

Vanessa Ebbeling
Staff writer

(April 17, 2006) — It's time to try out your sea legs and take a fresh look at Rochester — from the water.

Corn Hill Navigation's boats will fire up their engines May 1, kicking off the 2006 cruise season. This year's schedule features wine-tasting cruises, live music and a new historical series.

"We're very excited about it," said Victoria Schmitt, a Corn Hill Navigation representative.

"We got a tremendous amount of feedback last summer, and countless passengers told us they are now looking at the community with new eyes, because when you see it from the water, you get a whole new view."

Daily lunch cruises start May 1 on two boats, the Mary Jemison, departing from Corn Hill Landing, and the Sam Patch, departing from Schoen Place in Pittsford. Dinner cruises will be added in June. Both will run through October.

The historical series, "History Afloat: Experiencing Our Historic Waterways," begins in mid-May and will run for five weeks on both boats. The series will feature presentations by local historians, politicians and businesspeople.

Topics range from Victorian sports and recreation along the Genesee in the mid-19th century to the revival of Pittsford's waterfront in the mid-1990s.

Aboard the Mary Jemison, a riverboat and former Atlantic City tour boat acquired by Corn Hill Navigation last year, boaters will cruise along the Genesee while learning about the river's role in Rochester's history and future.

"For us, to teach about the river is to literally teach about the founding of the city and why there is a city called Rochester," said Ann Salter, executive director of the Rochester Historical Society, who partnered with Corn Hill Navigation to put the series together.

The Sam Patch will cruise the Erie Canal while its passengers listen to presenters — including Pittsford Mayor Robert Corby — discuss the canal's development and the growth of the surrounding towns.

The narrow, low packet boat is a replica of the type of vessel used on the canal before it was widened, Schmitt said.

"It replicates what it was like to travel on the canal in the 1800s, aside from the fact that you're not pulled by mules or donkeys," Schmitt said.

Both boats travel about 7 mph, giving presenters time to point out attractions and passengers time to soak up the scenery.

"Your classroom is the water," Salter said.

·
Mighty Mouse
1,345 Posts
Well the one that I went on started in Fairport went through Pittsford and Scheon Place then hit the Genesee and turned around to go back to Fairport. We went through a lock or two if I remember correctly. It was a good time on the water though, not too many landmarks on the trip per say.

Haven't ever taken a river cruise but I hear they area good time as well.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Been on hiatus for a while.

Blang what you saw was the new Patrick Pontiac/Jeep/GMC dealership they are building there. John Holtz owns the Patrick land and is kicking him out, Holtz wants to build a new facility for one of his car dealerships on the former Patrick dealership land. Holtz is going to be getting a new MINI franchise and will expand the Land Rover franchise and he needs a place to put the new showrooms. Dorschel will also be re-shaping West Henrietta Rd and will mix up all of his dealerships, he bought the old Cortese dealerships near the Dorschel mega-site, kicked out Cortese and will retro-fit those old dealerships. I spoke to a salesperson at those stores and no one knows which car franchises will move where and when?

I will post some links I have accumulated over the past month at a later time, there was a Roc Devlpmnt 3? Missed it, so some of my stuff may be duplicative, I cant find Roc 3? Sorry.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sorry,

Blang u may have also seen this:

http://www.eriestationvillage.com/default.asp

nearby, Erie Station Village, its an apartment lifestyle community.

The apartments are beautiful, but the outsides are lame. Since it was built on old farm land the builder used a farm motif, the apartments are all built in buildings that look like huge farm houses, barns and row houses. They tried to stay true to the heritage of the former land. Too bad, I would have lived there if I didnt have to live in a giant barn. I can only imagine what my friends from Manhattan would say as they drove up to my apartment in a barn. What the f%#$?

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
RochesterAddict said:
Been on hiatus for a while.

Blang what you saw was the new Patrick Pontiac/Jeep/GMC dealership they are building there. John Holtz owns the Patrick land and is kicking him out, Holtz wants to build a new facility for one of his car dealerships on the former Patrick dealership land. Holtz is going to be getting a new MINI franchise and will expand the Land Rover franchise and he needs a place to put the new showrooms. Dorschel will also be re-shaping West Henrietta Rd and will mix up all of his dealerships, he bought the old Cortese dealerships near the Dorschel mega-site, kicked out Cortese and will retro-fit those old dealerships. I spoke to a salesperson at those stores and no one knows which car franchises will move where and when?

I will post some links I have accumulated over the past month at a later time, there was a Roc Devlpmnt 3? Missed it, so some of my stuff may be duplicative, I cant find Roc 3? Sorry.
lol... She who shall not be named TOTALY hijacked Roc 3. It got so ridiculous that Jman (a cool moderater originaly from utica) had to shut the whole thing down and delete it. He left her a little message at the top of this thread and we haven't heard from her since; Thank God!

·
Mighty Mouse
1,345 Posts
Wow, that is a hell of a lot of development for the area car dealerships that I had previously not heard about, very encouraging in a way that the dealerships are enlarging, buying others and seemingly doing well. It is encouraging to see the growth in some of the area suburbs like Henrietta, Chili, Greece, and Webster.

As far as Erie Station when they originally built it I really liked the concept, took a tour of it and was not impressed with the high cost of living that far away from everything else, but I guess they are doing pretty well. Either way you won't find me living there in the near future.

·
Mighty Mouse
1,345 Posts
Area Home Sales Up for 2006
by Dan Smith
Published Apr 14, 2006

Year-to-date home sales in the Rochester region are up over last year at this time.

The Greater Rochester Association of Realtors reported a 3.1 percent increase in home sales over 2005.

The average sale price of existing single family homes also climbed 1.6 percent to $127,000.

The number of houses sold in the city of Rochester jumped nearly 22 percent compared to last year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are some unbelievable numbers for the city of Rochester....WOW!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I know right!?!?! I think it is that the bulk of metro Rochester's population has been in the suburbs for so long, that the city seems almost "exotic". I'd imagine the overwhelming majority of single-family homes being purchased in the city are in the trendy and "un-blighted" Neighborhoods of the SE quadrant, the Park Avenue and East Avenue areas. A lot of empty nesters from the suburbs buy the nice old houses in city as an investment or for their love of the arcitecture or history. I know that my aunt and uncle just sold their house in Gates because my cousin is graduating in a couple months, and are looking to possibly buy a house in the Barrington Street area (although they will most likely end up in one of the P-towns).

1 - 20 of 613 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.