SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Borat Sagdiev
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While Wed and Thurs I was in Buffalo for the Sabres game and ended up having a whole day to play with and kick around the great lakes. So first from North Tonawanda I was off to Rochester, NY - In Rochester the weather was just confused.

Welcome to:

The home of Kodak

UGLY!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
The ROC...what a place huh?

it's not bad, there are some fun places to see there, I don't know much outside downtown but it has to be an adventure in itself.

great tour, Rochester needed a photo thread. lol :)

·
Borat Sagdiev
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BuffCity said:
The ROC...what a place huh?

it's not bad, there are some fun places to see there, I don't know much outside downtown but it has to be an adventure in itself.

great tour, Rochester needed a photo thread. lol :)
Nat... arnt you from Batavia? Isnt Batavia in Rochesters Metro?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Let's not start this again. lol. Yes, Batavia USED to be in Rochester's metro, because it was in Genesee county, which borders Monroe County, but it also borders Erie county where Buffalo is. This was a pretty petty debate but it ended up being "Settled" fairly and now there is a "Batavia metro area" which consists of all of Genesee county. I think it might still be considered part of Rochester's CSA, but I'm not sure. By the way, pretty good pics of the ROC. I've seen better, but for your first time there, you wouldn't know all of the nice photo ops. Good job.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
WZ1 said:
Nat... arnt you from Batavia? Isnt Batavia in Rochesters Metro?
yea, Batavia is my hometown...still here. :sleepy:

Rochester has claimed Batavia, Buffalo never has. We talked about this before as far as which Batavia goes to...and it's a toss if not either at all. Now we would expect metro influence in a city 30 miles from both, banking is more Buffalo, businesses are about split as far as area districts and jobs are about even as far as commute. It used to be Kodak had many employees in Batavia, many are sadly all gone...so Rochester can't easily claim Batavia for its own. The Batavia Micropolitan area is a new term I've seen, its about right but we are very dependent on both metros though. BTW...we use Monroe Country water system in Genesee County, so infastructure we are kinda tied to Rochester, but power here is all National Grid and National Fuel...both Buffalo companies either way...it's a toss.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Rochester! All right! What did you think of it, WZ1?

It's pretty modern and has an amazing skyline for 218,000. Been there 4 times in my life. Hope to back again soon, whether by car, bus, or bicycle. :) Seen an Amerks game there, WWE event, and Sabres game, all at the Blue Cross Arena. Even stayed at a downtown hotel, the Clarion Riverside, very nice. Although Buffalo is better, of course.

·
Frustrated Male Model
471 Posts
My friend Lisa was from Batavia and she referred to it as "the city without a suburb, the suburb without a city."

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
cool pics. :) i haven't been to rochester since i was like 4 or 5; when i had to go every week for speech therapy. they should consider reopening their old subway line...that would be cool.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
lol, if they rehabed that old subway they would displace like 10 thousand hobos to to above ground living "quarters".

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
^ eh, send them on over to batavia. :crazy: i think the subway would do a lot for ROC's downtown. the infastructure is already there..unless they ripped everything apart.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
jmancuso said:
^ eh, send them on over to batavia. :crazy: i think the subway would do a lot for ROC's downtown. the infastructure is already there..unless they ripped everything apart.
Yeah, I think a rehabbed subway would in reality be a pretty great asset. Much like the "original erie canal plan" however, while it may be an awsome idea, it's not terribly realistic.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
WZ1 said:
Is that dirt or something going on at the joints/gaps on the outer frame part of that building? Whatever it is, I think the effect it gives going up the sides looks pretty interesting - I actually like it. Sort of weird optical illusion, almost makes them look like they're flowing or something.

·
Mighty Mouse
1,315 Posts
I do believe (and I could be wrong) that it is in fact dirt in teh joints of the building, it does give it a nice optical type illusion. I for one think they should light the building in different colors at night to give the city a better "feel" but I might just be talking crazy...I for one think it would look very nice

1 - 20 of 22 Posts