The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,073 Posts
...and eternal city it is...

:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:

Unbelievable!!!!!

·
Resurrected
24,361 Posts
Rome IS great! I was there twice. Only problems: don't believe opening hours (they are always wrong) and avoid DRIVING in any bigger Italian city. Rome is very compact and you can to most of the things walking - and you will see more, because every single detail is worth a second look!

Visit EUR!! Please post some pics of it! :)

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
Definitely eternal! Rome is not as big as people think though (its population is below 3 million if I remember well)

·
Resurrected
24,361 Posts
It has a HUGE municipality area that makes it big (Ostia is also Rome for example). Mussolini merged the towns together to make Rome that big as far as I remember. But the central city is quite small in size, though extremly dense!

But if you think that in imperialistic antique times there were 1.7mio people living in an even smaller area.

The model is in EUR and also served Uderzo as a blueprint for his Asterix-Rome.

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
Kuesel said:
Rome IS great! I was there twice. Only problems: don't believe opening hours (they are always wrong) and avoid DRIVING in any bigger Italian city.
Does Milan have bad traffic as well? I always thought that traffic in Northern Italy is better (more or less comparable to that of northern Europe).

·
Registered
828 Posts
Actually, i don't how many of u really know Rome...few i would think from what i read:)
It actually is a HUGE city, one of Europe's larger in fact, a metropolis with a even more huge municipal area, a good amount of which also is protected by numerous natural parks and protected agricoltural areas.
It is always fun to me to see how tourist talk about how compact the city is...thinking that all that they have seen is just a part of the historical centre, not even the whole of the historical part of the city (which happen to be far larger than the are enclosed by the ancient Aurelian walls), and that they've seen just a handfull of the most usual touristic spots (i.e the Colosseum, the Fora, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Navona square, S. Peter's, the Pantheon and afew other places)...only scratching the surface of the surface of what really is there (UNESCO once calculated that almost 60-70% of world artistic and cultural heritage is in Italy..and that more or less 50% of it is in Rome alone...even living a life here u couldn't see it all..let alone the new adds:). Many many treasures ar scattered throughout the whole municipality, and often also beyond it(Hadrian's villa is actually in Tivoli, outside Rome's municipal borders, and so are other places), farther away from the "compact" area tourist wander through.
The official Touring Club Italiano guide of Rome is some 1000 pages long, and it is far from being complete (even though Italian Ministry of Art and Cultural Heritage aknowledged Touring Club Guides as being the most complete and up-to-date repertory of art and cultural treasures in the country).
Other than this, Rome is also a thriving contemporary metropolis with all this entices, vast some 30 kilometers from side to side, as lively, complex and engaging (culturally, economic etc.) as many others in the world...probably even more,and always renewing and reinventing itself.
Some 2000 years ago Rome was the largest city in the western world (if not the entire world), the first to achieve a population of more than 1 million people, and its "metropolitan area" at that time went as far as the sea with the port-town of Ostia on one side and to the mountains that surround the plain where it lies on the area. In this huge area there were a web of crowded streets, factories, large farms, private residence, various facilities and "satellite towns". If u think and understand this u can also understand that what u can see and experience in 3-4 days (or even a month) here as tourist is just the tiny tip of mountain-like iceberg.

Enjoy

Alessandro

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Astounding city! I love Italy and all things Italian and I hope to live there one day. :)

·
RJ/ES
806 Posts
Those pictures are amazing!
Rome is eternal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.