Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
21,011 Posts

Suffolk selects $1B sports arena proposal for Ronkonkoma site

A proposal for a 17,500-seat arena designed to lure a professional sports team to Suffolk County has been selected as the centerpiece for development of a 40-acre parcel between MacArthur Airport and the Ronkonkoma train station, a county spokesman said.

John Cameron, managing partner of Woodbury-based Cameron Engineering, which is involved in the JLL-Bartoszek proposal, said last week the more than $1 billion effort would be privately financed by JLL and Bartoszek’s group.

Chicago real estate developer Jones Lang LaSalle and investment banker Ray Bartoszek submitted the winning proposal to Suffolk County to develop 40 acres south of the LIRR station in Ronkonkoma. The proposal includes:

A 17,500-seat sports arena
A 500-room hotel
Two community ice rinks
200,000 square feet of commercial office space
160,000 square feet of medical research space
90,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/ronkonkoma-stadium-development-suffolk-1.17925881

·
21,011 Posts

Potential Sports Arena Project In Suffolk County Takes A Step Forward

Residents On Both Sides Of Ronkonkoma Train Station Tracks Enthused About Development Of 'Hub'

Lawmakers have given an initial green light to a developer to come up with plans for a new destination development in the heart of Suffolk County.

It could include the county’s first sports arena and convention center.

And unlike in other places, you wont hear many say “not in my backyard” when it comes to the project, CBS2’s Carolyn Gusoff reported Thursday.

The full Suffolk County Legislature is expected to vote Tuesday on whether to authorize the developer to complete a detailed proposal in the next eight months.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/05/31/suffolk-county-sports-arena-ronkonkoma-hub/

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this qualify as a sports arena? I think it is purely an entertainment venue unless at least one team at some level, somewhere has some interest in moving to this location.
There were initial talks of finding an anchor tenant. Although the NHL and NBA both stand firmly that building an arena does not guarantee a team.

Perhaps an AHL team can call the arena home, or the NY Liberty who have been banished from MSG to the Westchester Community Center.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If this arena ever gets built

There were initial talks of finding an anchor tenant. Although the NHL and NBA both stand firmly that building an arena does not guarantee a team.

Perhaps an AHL team can call the arena home, or the NY Liberty who have been banished from MSG to the Westchester Community Center.
In my humble opinion, if this arena ever does get built...I think it will primarily be an indoor concert venue for large concerts. The NY Liberty is a viable option though you have to also understand that the Madison Square Garden Corporation owns them and if they wanted to move into another arena outside of MSG, they may opt to go to The Belmont Arena since Cablevision has their hands on that building. One option that might be considered might be Stony Brook Basketball but they too have their own home and they have trouble filling 5,000 seats in their building. Maybe an arena football or indoor soccer or indoor lacrosse team is a viable option. With all these area arenas and buildings that are either planned or under construction, the New York Metro Area is completely saturated as it pertains to getting events. Getting the arena to have 150 dates filled doesn't seem very viable. The Belmont Arena will get done and the Islanders and the NHL have stated that they have no interest as has been previously mentioned on this post. Building this arena is really a stretch and I think by the end of the year we'll know that it's just not possible. Unless I'm missing something, I just don't see it. I HOPE I'M WRONG...I'D LOVE TO SEE A SPORTS ARENA BUILT THERE BUT I REALLY BELIEVE THIS IS A PIPE DREAM. WE SHALL SEE !!!!

·
21,011 Posts

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
In my humble opinion, if this arena ever does get built...I think it will primarily be an indoor concert venue for large concerts. The NY Liberty is a viable option though you have to also understand that the Madison Square Garden Corporation owns them and if they wanted to move into another arena outside of MSG, they may opt to go to The Belmont Arena since Cablevision has their hands on that building. One option that might be considered might be Stony Brook Basketball but they too have their own home and they have trouble filling 5,000 seats in their building. Maybe an arena football or indoor soccer or indoor lacrosse team is a viable option. With all these area arenas and buildings that are either planned or under construction, the New York Metro Area is completely saturated as it pertains to getting events. Getting the arena to have 150 dates filled doesn't seem very viable. The Belmont Arena will get done and the Islanders and the NHL have stated that they have no interest as has been previously mentioned on this post. Building this arena is really a stretch and I think by the end of the year we'll know that it's just not possible. Unless I'm missing something, I just don't see it. I HOPE I'M WRONG...I'D LOVE TO SEE A SPORTS ARENA BUILT THERE BUT I REALLY BELIEVE THIS IS A PIPE DREAM. WE SHALL SEE !!!!
Well, you said it would be by the end of 2018; and technically they are still looking for a lower tier sports team.

But I still give you 3/4 credit. :lol:

·
Registered
35,076 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, you said it would be by the end of 2018; and technically they are still looking for a lower tier sports team.

But I still give you 3/4 credit. :lol:
The fact that they downsized the arena to 7,500 now makes this much more doable. And the fact that they want to add a Soccer/Lacrosse facility at 6,000 seats is attractive (as long as you can fit a football field in it for let's say high school football games). As long as the NIMBY's don't but a dent in this (HARDY HA HA....HA...THEY WILL...LONG ISLAND IS THE CAPITAL OF "NO"), this does stand a punchers chance of going through...so I'll take my quarter back credit !!!! LOL !!!!! One more statement, the developers, Jones Lang LaSalle from what I understand, don't have a reputation for finishing projects that they propose. They from what I understand run into financing their projects once approved BUT I COULD BE WRONG. Regardless stadiums and arenas have been proposed for that plot of land and they never go through SO WE WILL SEE WHAT WE WILL SEE ON THIS PROJECT...IT STILL HAS A LONG WAY TO GO IF IT GET'S TO A POINT WHERE THEY PUT A SHOVEL IN THE GROUND.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.