SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea where to put this, so here it goes.

In the US, a vast amjority of houses are roofed with asphalt shingles. You get a spalttering of tile roofs in the southwest, and maybe the occasional slate or steel roof, but in 99% cases it's asphalt shingles.

Looking at pictures of houses in other countries, I can't really think of any case where I have seen asphalt shingles. Now, I understand that tile roofs are longer lasting, etc, but asphalt shingles are significantly cheaper upfront, so I would imagine that at least a few people would use them. Are there codes against them elsewhere? Why are they not used?

·
121,863 Posts
Shingle roofs need to be replaced every 10-15 years, so the lower upfront costs of installation will result in higher maintenance and replacement costs in the long run. Tile roofs can last much longer.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Tile roofs also weigh more and need stronger trusses, which explains tile's traditional popularity in Florida (where roofs have to be stronger due to hurricanes anyway).

Ironically, tiles are probably the worst thing you could possibly put on a roof in a hurricane zone (they turn into missiles during hurricanes, and even minor storms do lots of expensive damage that has to be repaired afterward). Hence, the growing popularity of standing-seam metal roofs in south Florida (they might suffer aesthetic damage from storms, but it's the kind of damage you can live with for a few months and let them repeatedly get beaten up by storm after storm until repair costs go down instead of having to fix the roof immediately before the next hurricane strikes to avoid catastrophe. Dents are ugly, but tolerable. Exposed plywood, where tiles used to be, is another matter entirely...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts