Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so first off... wow long time since I posted here! I haven't been gone just busy and mostly lurking the forums, browsing and reading only. But I decided after recently getting bit again by my inner urban planning/architecture/transit engineer demon to make a few posts again.

I would like to start by saying that I recently visited San Fran and got to see everything that Miami is not. A well designed (for people not cars) city with mass transit options everywhere. It was actually kinda depressing to come back to this after that. Anyway, when I was there I took a walking tour of the downtown and got to visit one of the most unique things about SF. Apparently a while back SF made a law that if a developer in the downtown area wanted to build a building that was taller than the previous one on the sight, they had to include some public space on-site as well. Most of the builders in the downtown area chose to make it rooftop space since that's all they had available. This has resulted in a city with about a dozen spectacular rooftop gardens that anyone can go visit.

So I was thinking. Wouldn't Miami benefit from something like this in the downtown area? I think it would be an amazing thing that would really help give us another great addition to our city going forward? I think it would also help a bit to alleviate the lack of parks in our CBD.

Although nothing does justice like actually going there and seeing for yourself, here's a good article about it with pictures of some of the rooftop gardens (Be sure to click on the google map below and check out the 360 degree views of some of those rooftop gardens):
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/22/MNMVVDF0A.DTL&tsp=1

·
Banned
218 Posts
I would actually like to see an observation deck on one of the towers. I remember getting kicked out of the Havana Club a few years back when I wanted to take photographs during the day, the hostess apparently went on break, and I got off the elevator at the 55th floor and starting shooting. They threw me out, and when I got downstairs MPD issued a trespass warning to me, so long behold, I can never enter the 55th floor of that building ever again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It was actually kinda depressing to come back to this after that.
Tell me about it! Try coming back from the Netherlands with its super-efficient railway and bike infrastructure and England with its National Rail services (and the much-famed London Underground) :eek:hno:.

Anyway, I think this is a fantastic idea! Having been to San Francisco myself, I too know how amazing of a city it is and how great of an ambiance it has.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Tell me about it! Try coming back from the Netherlands with its super-efficient railway and bike infrastructure and England with its National Rail services (and the much-famed London Underground) :eek:hno:.

Anyway, I think this is a fantastic idea! Having been to San Francisco myself, I too know how amazing of a city it is and how great of an ambiance it has.
...don't talk to me about the Netherlands, or I feel like picking up and moving. No one can compete with the Netherlands.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Another Netherlands fan here. God, I love Amsterdam (Rome, too). Maybe I'll get back over this winter when the airfares are a lot cheaper. It's been too long, dammit!

Here's the hotel I usually stay at, the "Quentin." Nothing fancy, but it's clean---the rooms are a bargain---and it's in a great location near the Leidesplein (sp?)

"Smoking" Lounge, too...:lol:

·
Banned
218 Posts
Hopefully some day they'll clean up Amsterdam and get rid of the drugs there, so it's safe enough for tourism. Then again, I could probably say the same thing about Miami... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Hopefully some day they'll clean up Amsterdam and get rid of the drugs there, so it's safe enough for tourism. Then again, I could probably say the same thing about Miami... :eek:hno:
Amsterdam is one of the safest cities.........have you been there? I stayed in the red light district with no fear.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Of course it is, he's obviously never been there...
You're both right, I've never been there, but I heard that marijuana abuse is at an all time high there, and the government does nothing about it. That reefer is a hard drug, which leads people to kill each other and steal from their parents.

LOL! I was being sarcastic you know!!! Lighten up... or light up...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Come on folks, don't fall into this trap. :bash:

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Banned
218 Posts
Wtf???

I'm so reporting your post.
Yes I think that's quite a bad thing to say about our close dear friends, the Muslims. I happen to have many Islamic friends who are sincere people with good morals, unlike the Western world thinking that automatically blankets everyone or everything because of one event.

Take Bill Nelson for instance, who wants to kill all the pythons in the everglades because one caged python in Orlando escaped and killed an infant. Does that mean if an elephant escapes the zoo and tramples a child we're going to invade Africa and kill all the elephants?

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
You're both right, I've never been there, but I heard that marijuana abuse is at an all time high there, and the government does nothing about it. That reefer is a hard drug, which leads people to kill each other and steal from their parents.

LOL! I was being sarcastic you know!!! Lighten up... or light up...
I was lit up at the time which is probably why I didn't understand the sarcasm :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts