Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for the new retail development on the site of the former New Mersey Motor Co. on Speke Hall Road. Part of the site houses a burnt out shell of a building, while the rest is covered in hard-standing, with a car hand wash using part of this area. The site currently has no redeeming features, and is a long-term blot on the local landscape.

A retail development here has been mooted on and off for several years, with Lidl at one time being interested. The plans call for one large retail unit at the back of the site, with a smaller building on the corner of Edwards Lane, housing an auto repair centre, and a single unit with sui generis usage. The current proposals have been through the planning process a few times, as the plans were tweaked, according to the Design & Access Statement for the benefit of the end user.

In order to secure the regeneration benefits, the council added a clause to the most recently granted planning permission that stated it must be on-site no later than 25th October 2014. It seems they have managed to comply with that condition with a few months to spare.

Site plan -

Speke Hall Road elevations -

The site has looked much like this for a number of years now, without the benefit of the recently added hoardings -

Groundworks underway -

I'm assuming the car hand wash will only remain until that part of the site is required -

This is roughly the view you get as you crest the railway bridge on one of the main routes away from the airport. The trees help to mask the state of the site a little, but it's not hard to see how the new plans will be a significant improvement -

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Long overdue........

Cheers Chris, it has an " edge lane" ambiance:) excellent potted history on this dormant site.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They aren't hanging around with this one, with the car hand wash now closed, and the whole site (apart from the still standing shell) now covered by around a dozen piles of soil and rubble of various sizes containing material from where the hard standing across the site has been ripped up. Although they've satisfied the start date condition imposed by the council, the D&A statement suggests they have end users already lined up, so I suppose time is now money, as the sooner they get it built, the sooner they can get rent from the tenants.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
They aren't hanging around with this one, with the car hand wash now closed, and the whole site (apart from the still standing shell) now covered by around a dozen piles of soil and rubble of various sizes containing material from where the hard standing across the site has been ripped up. Although they've satisfied the start date condition imposed by the council, the D&A statement suggests they have end users already lined up, so I suppose time is now money, as the sooner they get it built, the sooner they can get rent from the tenants.
Most of that has come down today, looks like it'll all be gone by tomorrow.

·
Human Being
42,973 Posts
Never heard of Cherokee Properties - hope they're not going to be another bunch of cowboys...;)
No, the director of Cherokee Properties is not a cowboy ( or Indian in this case), but a carpet wholesaler, amongst his other company directorships.....

A Liverpool born orthodox jew.

It is interesting to follow up on company directors.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone heard anything regarding the end users of this site? I know The Range was rumoured at one point, but since that rumour first appeared, the large B&M Homestore has opened more or less over the road, I wonder if they'd still be interested?

I was in the St. Helen's branch of The Range earlier, and there is a significant crossover between what the two retailers sell. The only major differences were that The Range offers a craft section, and a larger furniture section, while B&M offers a much fuller food offer, and some outside gardening space. Otherwise, both stores sell much the same thing - kitchenware, paint & wallpaper, DIY, toys, pet accesories, garden furniture and plant accessories, pictures, decoration and other homeware etc.

I'd still welcome a branch of The Range a little closer to home for the purposes and consumer choice and variety, but I do wonder whether they may find a chunk of their market already catered for in that area (and likely cheaper, even though they weren't particularly expensive).

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^

Based on the colour scheme used in the renders, I did idly wonder whether it would be them taking the unit. Given Wickes couldn't make it work in the same area, it'll be interesting to see how they fare.

Otherwise, from a choice and variety perspective, I'm a little disappointed the rumours of The Range opening there weren't true, but never mind.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^

There's nothing to suggest any details may or may not come soon, but some news on lettings might be nice. In fact any sign of life would be nice. The site has effectively been cleared since July, yet other than the Taskers banner appearing, nothing has happened. By time we get past the Christmas shutdown, and things start moving again after New Year, it'll be knocking on the door of six months and no movement. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went past this site the other week, and it was still dead as a doornail (I think a previous report of activity may have been confusing the work on-going on the adjacent Bellway homes site). Anyway, I passed this site this morning and was rather pleasantly surprised to see block and mesh fencing now secures the previously open elevations of the site, while there are also now three earthmovers on-site, along with a few workers cars. It's been a bit of a wait, but hopefully this is now the start of something. It may just be a fairly standard retail park, but it'll be a better first impression for anyone arriving via the airport than the piece of wasteland and 20ft pile of rubble that exists at the moment.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts