1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Great pics. Looks like your quintessential "germanic" town. :cheers:

·
Resurrected
25,496 Posts
I love it, was there several times and it's just a miracle how they rebuilt the city after the bombardment in WWII. Lots of pre and post war produced movies that play in the middle age were shot here. It's a fantastic place!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Yeah, Rothenburg seems like a city out of a fairytale...It is really beautiful and well preserved.
There are lots of Japanese tourists. Probably the best known small city in Germany in Japan! :)

Rothenburugo daisuki!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Giri said:
That's really charming. But I suppose there have been huge restorations : no medieval center town can be that intact without some repairs.
Of course! Rothenburg was bombed out in WWII...

·
Resurrected
25,496 Posts
Overview - The nicest original medieval city in Europe apart from Carcassonne:

And this is how it looked 60 years ago:

Stupid American bombers - clear that for them a medieval town was a big storage of munition and tanks! :cry:

Okay the plan was to weaken the German population - same strategy that they want to do now with Iran... very original :( And then the Taliban are bashed for distroying the Buddha Statues (which was the worst crime on culture in history - but to bomb down medieval cities is not better at all!).

See also: http://www.rothenburg.de/d/ISY/index.php?get=2351&exec=webprintable1

·
SSC Veteran
10,767 Posts
It's actually amazing how be beautiful and interesting can small cities be, and Rothenburg doesn't seem to be an exception :eek:kay:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Irish Blood English Heart said:
I changed trains there the other day on my way from Scheessel to Hannover, didnt know it was so pretty inside :(

There are many Rothenburgs in Germany, these pictures show "Rothenburg ob der Tauber" in Bavaria.

@ Cosa Nostra, maybe you should add "ob der Tauber" to the titel of the thread in order to prevent missunderstandings.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
:bow:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts